Fan belt tensioner.

Cviji

Reaction score
Has anyone had the pleasure of doing a fan belt tensioner on a TDI? How easy is it to do? And what needs to come of the front of the car so you can gain access?
Thanks for any help.

At closer inspection looks as though you need to get at it from the front so that would mean bumper, air con radiator, radiator, fan etc has to come off? Does this sound right?

Just a little pointer as i've just done an auxiliary belt and its tensioner on a 1.8T and cant see them being too different..

The front panel/lock carrier doesnt need to come off to change the serpentine belt, you can leave everything attached and unbolt the front panel, replace two of the bolts with some threaded rod and slide the complete panel forwards enough to access the belt and tensioner without having to distrub any water or electrical connections

I used two 500mm lengths of M8x1.25 rod but that was overkill, 300mm would be plenty

its all detailed in the haynes manual if you need any more info.

the only bit i found difficult was that one of the bolts for the tensioner was behind the fan, i managed to wedge an allen key into it though and got it off

Hi there.

Ive only just started doing this. Got to the point where I can access the tensioner. Can anyone give details on what I have to do to remove it? Do i have to remove the fan pulley or just the fan itself? where are the bolts that remove the tensionor? do you have to access it from behind I take it? When you remove the tensioner pulley
it reveals an allen key bolt on the tensioner, does this need removing to get the tensioner out?

Appreciate any help very much.