Failure of wire in window regulator!!!

FinnMc1

Reaction score
I've recently had mine fixed privately with a second hand regulator but have complained to Audi as its just totally **** build quality in my view. SO I'm basically curious if anyone else has experienced a similar failure of the wire due to corrosion?

Ive tried to upload a couple of pictures in the attachments to show what happened. Basically the metal securing point on the wire rusted and caused the wire to rust and break! Pretty easy to avoid if they used stainless steel or even just painted it surely!

Attachments

• Failed part  (1).jpg
    Failed part (1).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 605
  • Failed part  (2).jpg
    Failed part (2).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Failed part  (3).jpg
    Failed part (3).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 589
You may have got goodwill if you've taken to audi, how old is the A5?

I would hazard a guess the door sills as bad on the A5 as it is the A3.

I actually took it to Audi and was out of warranty coz its a 2008 but I knew that would be the case. So anyway they said both regulators were changed just over two years ago but even those were now out of warranty. I was offered the two replaced for 1200euro or a SPECIAL offer of 900 if I prepaid a service with them too!! I told them id do it elsewhere and fixed it for 150euro. Crazy thing is a replacement I got from a 2011 car was already rusting in the same location!

Not impressed at all with a part like that failing. That should comfortable last the life time of the vehicle! But ye like you say its probably the same as the S3 as the same thing happened on mine when I had it

Seriously they didn't even offer goodwill given been changed already, that's awful, I would contact Audi UK if I was you on the subject as its an obvious flaw.

Ive tried Audi Germany and they slid me off to Audi UK who rang me and then slip me off to Audi Ireland. So I'm going to see what they come up with. I think if they are too thick to design it properly they should at least make a cheap wire replacement kit available!
This is a picture of the rust starting on the replacement part from a 2011 car!

Attachments

• Rust starting on replacement part.jpg
    Rust starting on replacement part.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 618
I have a question, does that part of the wire remain static or does it move up & down in that location?

That main part moves from what I can tell. The metal bit thats rusting is the way the wire is secured to it to raise and lower it when the motor pulls the wire. That's my thinking anyway but could be wrong.

If that wires not moving & is static all the time, then I would clean the rust up or fit new piece, rust protect then cover it in some water resistant sealant, so then it wont suffer again.

Oh ye its already done and fixed. I just have to hope the same doesn't go on the driver door now!

Then do the same to the drivers door, pre-empt the issue, instead of waiting for it to happen :)