Failing Emissions.

RandomZephyr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I did an MOT the other day and the tester told me the car miserably failed emissions testing, thankfully he turned a blind eye and passed the car as everything else was in order but told me to just get rid of it inside of the year which I'm not really keen on doing.

What can I do to make sure the car can be kept in line with emissions as I can't really rely on MOT testers turning a blind eye to it.

The car has regular servicing and oil changes, I'm planning one again soon. It had a full service a few months ago so all the filters and oil were new.

Car is a 2.0 TDI, BRD engine.

On my list of things to do was an EGR/DPF delete but this has me rather worried about passing MOTs in the future which is a damn shame, most people seem to say they pass just fine with these doing done but I'm not sure if the car needs some work, or it's just newer regs that's screwing me over.

Basically just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me.

Cheers.

I have the BRE. I removed by EGR valve and cooler 2 years ago and it has now passed 2 MOTs with lower emissions.
The EGR valve can't be seen with the plastic top cover in place, and testers aren't allowed to dismantle a car to check them.
The BRE isn't burdened by a DPF either so that isn't an issue.
Currently I'm in the process of swapping the inlet manifold over from a BRB (I think). This doesn't have inlet swirl flaps that carbon up and can fail.
The carbon inside the manifold has to be seen to be believed 5mm thick in places. It just goes to show how much poo the EGR valve feeds back into your engine