Fading trim on front rear bumpers how to recon

mephisto

Reaction score
I have bumpers off front and rear of car at the moment for respray. All the trim round fog lights is pitted and faded. And the grey trim on the rear bumper and parts of front are same.

I intend to fill the stone chip marks and respray both. Any idea of colour codes and if i need special paint for plastic/filler? TIA

I've had good results from [carefully] using a heat gun on faded black trim before... It does tend to come back a few months later though

Giving it a good coat of a silicon based lubricant can also help condition the plastic

Smooth peanut butter.

Sounds weird I know, but it works a treat. Used to do it to my old Nova lol nasty grey plastics come up a treat with that stuff. Rub it in leave it 20mins or so and wipe off.

Smooth peanut butter.

Sounds weird I know, but it works a treat. Used to do it to my old Nova lol nasty grey plastics come up a treat with that stuff. Rub it in leave it 20mins or so and wipe off.
Is it April already?

I’m only pulling your leg have never heard that one though, what I can’t help thinking who comes up with these crazy alternatives originally ? What goes through their head “ I’ve ran out of polish il just use peanut butter instead “
Not quite. Try it. The oils in the stuff conditions the plastics and it's a ton cheaper than any commercial product to do the same job afaik

Who invents anything? It's usually by accident maybe someone with a licky dog has some spillage.

Autoglym bumper Care brings them up nice,I found using peanut butter attracted too many squirrels!

Thanks all mine are pitted also hence I wanted to sand fill and respray.
49ea383ea4b8498ef55a99325c62d802.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bump going a bit further here anyone know the colour code for the dark grey here used on the trim for door side bars and rear lower panel on bumper? Its all shot to **** on mine peanut butter wont fix it i need to respray :)

Hammerite gold. Is usually the best possible treatment. #trustme it sounds crazy, but after it dries out actually turns grey.

In all seriousness please don't actually try hammerite gold, what's that plastic spray people use on wheels?

Hammerite gold?!

Could consider wrapping but wasn't sure about finish and colour. I want them to look completely oem factory finish hence i want the right colour code and finish.

Don you have a colourtone near you they can match a paint and put in a spray can

In all seriousness please don't actually try hammerite gold, what's that plastic spray people use on wheels?

Plasti dip I think and after personal experience with stuff I wouldnt recommend it to anyone, horrible stuff

Don you have a colourtone near you they can match a paint and put in a spray can
cheers bud good idea, im down Dorset way in tractor land, dont have one of them here, but yes ill try and find an automotive paint shop that colour match. Found another thread on here discussing it potentially being 1RR platinum silver but not sure. I have contacted Audi UK also to see if they have detail.

Reactions: S3 Hilife, s3 Hoggy and Alex C
well done that man! I think thats the first time I've ever seen a colour code for our grey trims!
I don't actually need it now but was looking in the past and gave up. I replaced bits instead! please put some pics up when you've painted some bits buddy will be a great help for others

Reactions: mephisto