FACTORY FITTED OPTIONS - DECLARE OR NOT ???

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i have recently ordered a new 2.0tdi sportback with several factory fitted options , for example :- comfort pack , interior light pack , privacy glass , black headlining , etc . I was wondering whether these options have to be declared to the insurance company and would this increase the premium . If so are there any insurance company's that do not increase premiums for such items , thanks .

If they are factory fitted, I see no reason to declare them unless asked? You just increase the value of the car when insuring right?

thats what i did just told them the value of the car thats all they wanted not a long list of extra's

Thanks guy's . This seems to be a bit of a grey area . Does anyone know which insurance company DEFINATELY does not require you to declare this . Seem to remember Liverpool Victoria being mentioned somewhere but i'm not sure , thanks .

Thanks guy's . This seems to be a bit of a grey area . Does anyone know which insurance company DEFINATELY does not require you to declare this . Seem to remember Liverpool Victoria being mentioned somewhere but i'm not sure , thanks .

Have you had a bad experience or something? I've note had an insurance company ask me to declare optional extras as part of the insurance quote, and I've phoned loads! The only time I've heard optional extras effect an insurance quote is my sister trying to get insurance on her Mini Cooper S, the 'chilli pack' adds one group to the rating apparently.

for example :- comfort pack , interior light pack , privacy glass , black headlining

The only thing in the list you have quoted that can effect your insurance policy is the privacy glass, but as a factory fitted option, surely you can't get charged more for it?

Not had a bad experience YET , but don't want to get caught with my pants down if i ever had to make a claim .

According to my insurance company (aviva) they dont need declaring at all as they are classed as factory standard, regardless of whether they are extras or not.

Thanks Dazmo . Is this written down in your policy or has this come from asking them ? I seem to remember reading Aviva's policy and couldn't really be sure because of the way they worded it .

Sorry guys, these need to be declared.

I think you need to elaborate on your reply a bit more. I declare all my mods on my car to my insurance company to make sure I'm fully insured!, but if what you are saying is correct, I need to declare my Bose sound system, CD changer and heated seats, or I'm not covered?!

Not having a pop at yourself or insurance company's in general mind, but some more details wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks Dazmo . Is this written down in your policy or has this come from asking them ? I seem to remember reading Aviva's policy and couldn't really be sure because of the way they worded it .

I rang and asked as i was declaring some mods i was doing and i asked about my extras/options aswell ( i remembered this post).

Never declared any options with any insurance company or car i have ever had and i have never had any problems even when claiming.

The factory fitted options should be declared as they are additional to the cost of the basic car. All my extras are listed on my policy, so hopefully there will be no ambiguity if I had to claim. Esure do not add any extra premium for this.

To be truthful mate its always better to call the insurance company rather that search and buy online. A lot of companies don't have the facility to mention factory options, only Modifications

The factory fitted options should be declared as they are additional to the cost of the basic car. All my extras are listed on my policy, so hopefully there will be no ambiguity if I had to claim. Esure do not add any extra premium for this.

To be truthful mate its always better to call the insurance company rather that search and buy online. A lot of companies don't have the facility to mention factory options, only Modifications

They do not have nor provide the facility to declare these mods because they do not need this information.

I can say this about every quote i have ever had, perhaps your company is different but...

As far as im aware my insurance company ask me what my car is worth and i state the value including any options/extras you have had at the start.

Why quote all the options when these are included in the original vlaue/price of the car?

If i buy a car for £10,000 and add £2000 worth of options,to me thats a £12,000 car, so i would insure the car for £12,000, so if it were to be written off i would in theory get my £12,000 back. This is why i have gap insurance too.

Last edited:
Just rang Admiral, to ask about my Alu mirrors (the only factory option I have!). Said as long as the car is standard OEM options on the S3 manufacturer's list, I don't need to declare anything. Went through all the options the S3 could have (heated seats, BOSE, different wheels, armrest) and it wouldn't make any difference, unless the worth of the car was considerably higher (8k to 10k for example).

Thus I will be buying RSTT wheels, an arm rest and a CD changer!

They do not have nor provide the facility to declare these mods because they do not need this information.

I can say this about every quote i have ever had, perhaps your company is different but...

As far as im aware my insurance company ask me what my car is worth and i state the value including any options/extras you have had at the start.

Why quote all the options when these are included in the original vlaue/price of the car?

If i buy a car for £10,000 and add £2000 worth of options,to me thats a £12,000 car, so i would insure the car for £12,000, so if it were to be written off i would in theory get my £12,000 back. This is why i have gap insurance too.

Valid point but, insurance companies will use any excuse available to reduce the pay out in the event os a claim. Having Gap insurance is the best option though ......regardless of the cost, unless the car is less than a year old insurance will pay out the market value of a car based on the Glasses guide. This guide does not increase the value of the car when you have optional extras. Each to their own but I would always insist the options I fitted are noted on the policy.

Valid point but, insurance companies will use any excuse available to reduce the pay out in the event os a claim. Having Gap insurance is the best option though ......regardless of the cost, unless the car is less than a year old insurance will pay out the market value of a car based on the Glasses guide. This guide does not increase the value of the car when you have optional extras. Each to their own but I would always insist the options I fitted are noted on the policy.

Very true mate, if you want to declare everything then thats your own personal choice.

I asked about changing my brake discs from standard to drilled and grooved and they told me these wont change my premium as they are the same size and dont really affect performance, and as they are classed as wear items would'nt incur any costs and dont need to be declared.

p.s love your S3 mate, that blue is my favourite colour! i would love one of those.