Facelift vs early version

kerryw

Reaction score
Can any facelift parts be transferred to the earlier version of the b5? was thinking the centre panel that has the stereo and climate unit, and front wings/lights/bumper. Is this possible, and has anyone done it?:cool:

Hello again!

The centre console can be swapped over but you'd need the cage, switches, fascia, heater/climate controls (which may need coding into the ecu - although I could be wrong on that one). IMO, not worth doing unless you were thinking of fitting the double sized headunit/satnav units.

Wings, not sure although I don't see why not. Lights - you don't need to change the wings, just trim then around the indicator cut out (soon to be done on mine). Bumper - yes but you'll need the facelift mounts to go with the bumper.

There's quite a few people on here that'll be able to give you first hand advice - they'll be along shortly!

Thanks for that :thumbsup: guess ill forget about the centre console then!
was thinking about changing the wings and bumper for the newer version then getting the angel eye headlights to make it look a little more updated.. will have to have a good look to see the differences to see if its worth it.:blackrs4:

You can get the angel eyes to fit the pre-facelift wings - I've got them on at the mo (see my pics in the Gallery)

Im due to fit some facelift headlamps into my early car so i will let you know how its goes. I was going to change the console but decided against it due to the wiring,the back half of the facelift console with the armrest i does fit on the early front console tho !!!

951 said:
Im due to fit some facelift headlamps into my early car so i will let you know how its goes...

Ditto! Car goes in for a bit of paint a week today & they're trimming the wings at the same time (hopefully!). I've already made an adapter for the wiring so I don't have to cut the loom on the car. :thumbsup:

joost said:
Ditto! Car goes in for a bit of paint a week today & they're trimming the wings at the same time (hopefully!). I've already made an adapter for the wiring so I don't have to cut the loom on the car. :thumbsup:
Same here mine in on wednesday getting the s4 bumper +a few other bits painted. What adaptors have you made,i have the plugs and wires with the new headlamps already.

I've made an adaptor to fit between the old round connector on the car and the oval-like shaped one on the facelifts ('99> lights). Need to sort the levelling motors and possibly the indicators yet (although the indicator bulb holders from the old units may fit yet). This is the connector I've made so far:

lights.jpg

The 3 wires sticking out are for the levelling motor. The indicators are seperate anyway.

I have a pair of facelift front wings if anyone wants to try the conversion. Different colours though I am afraid. Ones silver and ones green. £50 for the pair.

They are easy to change as they are only bolted on. There is a few bolts running along the top of the wing, a couple down the back edge that you can get to by opening the front door, one that attaches the wing to the inner wing at the front behins the bumper and a couple that hold the bottom of the wing on to the sill. All easily got at if you are also changing the bumper.

John

Justin, what plug did you use to fit on the end of the car loom ??

I dismantled the original 2 piece lights, there's a thread on the audiworld site that tells you how to remove it. IIRC, the connector on the rear of the light twists anti-clockwise (bit like a bayonet cap lightbulb - you might need mawl grips) and pushes into the light. It's then just a matter of manipulating it through the large hole that you put the bulb in and you'll then have 1 end that matches the car loom. I then soldered a new connector from a loom I got off ebay to the other end. I'll see if I can find the link...