Facelift Facelift S3 vs Facelift VW Golf R (MK7.5)

Difficult to prove at the moment because the Configurator says the R is only available "from stock" - perhaps something to do with the facelift R not being available to order yet?

How did the fella in the video manage to get one then?

I think there are pros and cons to both cars, but would take the Golf for the way it looks. It'd have to be a three door one, though, the 5 door Golf is a munter compared to the Sportback.

Reactions: FBF01
I really don't like the OTT plastic on the front R bumper , it's a similar shape to the S3 but stuck on rather than one piece.

One interesting thing about the new 7.5 R is that VW have launched an optional performance pack, which gives you Michelin Cup tyres and an Akaprovic exhaust system (I assume cat back only). I wonder if that system will be available to buy for the S3?

I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Akrapovic exhaust, its around £3k and from what I've heard, it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Reactions: Mark_86
I don't get the price difference remark to be honest.

5 door DSG on both, 4 year PCP with 10,000 miles per year, with £3,000 deposit representing the expected discount on either car. Monthly figures are;

Golf R - £453.86 - GFV £13,062.60
Audi S3 - £414.64 - GFV £17,047.75

Maybe I'm missing something. If you look at overall cost then the S3 is more, but most people buy on PCP which is just renting the thing anyway and the S3 is nearly £40 a month cheaper. :)
Wow, got my FL S3 S-ttonic plus about 3ks of extras 4 month ago for £356 PM and 2.5 down.

Wow, got my FL S3 S-ttonic plus about 3ks of extras 4 month ago for £356 PM and 2.5 down.

Won't tell you what I'm paying then and what I put down (my extras on the configurator now are £5860 though) :grimacing::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Haway I'm intrigued now.

Haha only £5 more a month than the example above, £5k in which essentially was the car I got rid of so I didn't look at it as putting my own money in, if that makes sense.

Haha only £5 more a month than the example above, £5k in which essentially was the car I got rid of so I didn't look at it as putting my own money in, if that makes sense.
So roughly what I'm paying? 2.5k extra deposit to what I paid, so give or take 500 quid it's the same deal.

So roughly what I'm paying? 2.5k extra deposit to what I paid, so give or take 500 quid it's the same deal.

I'm at £419, that's on a S-Tronic Black Edition Sportback, was £37k with discount then my £5k

Thanks TR Hamza for the video, it made me realise I had made the right decision in ordering an S3. I don't like the front end of the Golf the S3 looks much more aggressive, I don't like the back end and the interior is not good at all. It would appear that black shiny plastic and me just don't see eye to eye. I can see the golf appealing to the younger end of the spectrum as there always a market for smoked rear light clusters there. Wow, I'm sounding really old. :)

Thanks! Both cars do feel like they are pitched at slightly different categories. It's great that we have the choice to choose a car that best suits our needs! S3 for me too

Thanks for posting.
I'll get a proper look tonight though (when I'm trying to ignore the wife lol).
Good to get a look at rival cars as a comparison.

No problem mate, hope you managed to have a look lol. Always good to see how our car compares to the rivals as you say! Was just a brief look but I reckon we made a good choice with the S3

I've always thought the GTi was a better looking car than the R. I do prefer the 5 door styling of the Golf over the A/S3 though, that's about it. Think I'd probably have gone Leon Cupra over R if I'd had too. Fortunately i didn't so Vegas it is :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I have always thought the same too regarding GTI being better looking than the R

Coincidentally I checked out a Facelift GTI the day before I made the video and was VERY impressed. Red with black leather and various options, it felt a tad more sporty than the R inside and the outside was more noticeable too. Red accents etc

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Psyman79
How did the fella in the video manage to get one then?

I think there are pros and cons to both cars, but would take the Golf for the way it looks. It'd have to be a three door one, though, the 5 door Golf is a munter compared to the Sportback.

He mentioned he was good with the dealership and they managed to get him a car early, not too sure about further details as didn't ask. Strange that a mass production car like the R is available from stock only? As @AndrewB mentioned. Is this correct?

And yes I agree regarding there being pros and cons to both, neither is perfect. For me personally I prefer the S3 for its technology (in terms of MMI etc) and engine sound. It would have been nice to have some proper supportive seats like the R though.

Golf R was high on my list for possible cars before I decided on the S3 saloon, but the VW dealerships failed to mention to me that at the time I was looking production had stopped ahead of this mk7.5 so when I found that out my options were limited. Took me calling around dealerships to chase a test drive before anyone told me I wouldn't be able to place a factory order :scared2:

Like everyone else has said though, they're extremely similar in performance etc, I just prefer the interior quality and options on the Audi.

I like that people prefer VC to whatever the VW version is called, as it probably uses exactly the same components, yet Audi charge extra for it.

I like that people prefer VC to whatever the VW version is called, as it probably uses exactly the same components, yet Audi charge extra for it.
From what I've seen the VW display doesn't offer anywhere near as much as VC. Maybe I'm wrong and people haven't done a comprehensive review yet, so don't quote me on that!

And it's gone already...

Still up for me.

From what I've read from journalist reviews, its has lower resolution screen and maybe worse screen quality (as in contrast/brightness/colour accuracy) too compared to VC. Also with stuff like this, just having the same hardware doesn't matter. It's all about the software and the VW version looks like a last gen version.

The Golf R was a consideration, however the lack of interior options (only black available), and a few other features compared to the S3 took it off my list.

images

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Mark_86 and 1 other person
Yeah mate Groundhog groundhog groundhog day day day again lol But you really have to take your HAT OFF to VW's marketing genuis's and they are that and more, l wouldn't be ashamed of a golf R on my drive with Pretoria alloys on....as for the cheaper leasing deals on the golf R that's another work of genius from VW... They must have made a fortune solely on this,at the end of the day all us Audi guys are just paying for them

Download

Reactions: TDI-line, pburv, Djs3saloon and 2 others
I don't get the price difference remark to be honest.

5 door DSG on both, 4 year PCP with 10,000 miles per year, with £3,000 deposit representing the expected discount on either car. Monthly figures are;

Golf R - £453.86 - GFV £13,062.60
Audi S3 - £414.64 - GFV £17,047.75

Maybe I'm missing something. If you look at overall cost then the S3 is more, but most people buy on PCP which is just renting the thing anyway and the S3 is nearly £40 a month cheaper. :)
I suppose it also depends on how you look at it, at the end of the term you could say I can buy the R for £13k where the S3 is £17k.

Lets be honest, how many of us expect to have any equity when we take our cars back? Chances are we will break even if we're lucky...I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went the full term on a PCP with an S3 and how they got on come trade in time!

Reactions: TDI-line
I suppose it also depends on how you look at it, at the end of the term you could say I can buy the R for £13k where the S3 is £17k.

Lets be honest, how many of us expect to have any equity when we take our cars back? Chances are we will break even if we're lucky...I'd be interested to hear from anyone who went the full term on a PCP with an S3 and how they got on come trade in time!

Yeah, it's a concern I have later down the line. I'll probably just see what it's worth P/X and buy it off them at the end... then swap it in...

Yeah, it's a concern I have later down the line. I'll probably just see what it's worth P/X and buy it off them at the end... then swap it in...

Just looked at the 3 door GTi again on orange wheels, using their price on the VW pcp site you can get the GTi with £1000 deposit for £365 per month based on 10k per year and 36 months, GFV is £12,951.
Doing the same for an A3 2.0 black edition 3 door (so tints are standard as they are on the GTi) = £375 with a GFV of £14,593 But then you need to add things like folding mirrors, parking sensors, fancy dash, adaptive cruise control, red brake calipers, which are all standard on the GTi.

Weird about the configurator, as I used it to build a new R a couple of weeks back. Bit disappointing that silver is off the menu with this one. They only have a metallic white now that isn't as nice.

What's beardy bloke wearing in the background? His outfit were red, were it not?

Most manufacturers pit cars against each other, Example A1 vs Polo, A3 vs Golf etc.... so model wise wouldnt the Golf R be pitted against the RS3 and the S3 against the GTI? I know price wise etc they don't match, some parts of the performance don't too. But the Golf R is the leading model of the Golf range as is the RS3 of the A3 range.

Don't think VW are pushing anything against the RS models.
The golf R if most definitely up against the S3. The Gti is a hot hatch at best but over the years it's become a sort of traditional trim level than a halo model. Its too much a jack of all trades, master of none.

Reactions: Ormesome
Saw the TV advert for the new golf for the first time yesterday. What on earth is the point of gesture control? You have to take your hand off the steering wheel to swipe to change track. Eh? Why? Surely safer to stick with steering wheel buttons for that kinda thing.

Si :)

Reactions: Mark_86
The "which is best" argument is pretty academic really, they are pretty much the same car after all. The Audi has the nicer interior imo, that's what won it for me.

Don't forget that the R has an adjustable air conditioned glove box which keeps your bottle of water ice cold on hot trips.

Can you even get a bottle of water in the glovebox of an A3? It's tiny!