Facelift Facelift S3 vs Facelift VW Golf R (MK7.5)

Hi Gents, just starting my new toy purchase and its down to the S3 saloon VS Golf R facelifts.

All ive really done at the moment is got some quotes from Carwow, with the spec I want im looking at its £4-5K more for the S3 but the difference between the list and gfv should be similar with the four ringed resistance to depreciation. Hopefully equalling similar monthly payments.

Whats annoying is ive seen a couple of 6 month old used S3s at the right price/spec but then they want 10%+ apr as its a used car so cheaper buying new!

Just a question, how are some of you getting the S3 for £350 ish a month with £2.5K down? Is this lease or PCP did you manage to get the apr down?

Last edited:
Hi Gents, just starting my new toy purchase and its down to the S3 saloon VS Golf R facelifts.

All ive really done at the moment is got some quotes from Carwow, with the spec I want im looking at its £4-5K more for the S3 but the difference between the list and gfv should be similar with the four ringed resistance to depreciation. Hopefully equalling similar monthly payments.

Whats annoying is ive seen a couple of 6 month old used S3s at the right price/spec but then they want 10%+ apr as its a used car so cheaper buying new!

Just a question, how are some of you getting the S3 for £350 ish a month with £2.5K down? Is this lease or PCP did you manage to get the apr down?
You'll get the least amount of discount on the S3 saloon but a lower APR than on the sportback and hatchback

Try coast2coastcars l got a great deal from Whetstone Audi via coast2coastcars, but it's like everything the higher the price of the car the larger the discount

You'll get the least amount of discount on the S3 saloon but a lower APR than on the sportback and hatchback

Try coast2coastcars l got a great deal from Whetstone Audi via coast2coastcars, but it's like everything the higher the price of the car the larger the discount

Yeah the best price ive had for a Saloon Black Edition with Tech Pack + Virtual Cockpit is £37,776.

Based on Audis current PCP model that should come in around the early £400 mark with a £4k deposit depending on the GFV.
Why a lower APR on the Saloon?

Its the used APR that kills it, found an ex demo for £33,500 but all of a sudden as its "used" they want 10%+ APR.

Reactions: David McQueen
Yeah the best price ive had for a Saloon Black Edition with Tech Pack + Virtual Cockpit is £37,776.

Based on Audis current PCP model that should come in around the early £400 mark with a £4k deposit depending on the GFV.
Why a lower APR on the Saloon?

Its the used APR that kills it, found an ex demo for £33,500 but all of a sudden as its "used" they want 10%+ APR.

Depends on the dealer for used APR. I got my car ex demo just over a month ago and the APR was 5.9%.

Depends on the dealer for used APR. I got my car ex demo just over a month ago and the APR was 5.9%.

Where was that out of interest?

I presume they can move used stock to any/my local dealer?

Where was that out of interest?

I presume they can move used stock to any/my local dealer?

Northampton Audi. They were decent but after they made the sale, it felt like they just wanted me out of there with the car. Made up excuses/stories about the car not having Audi Beam and no subwoofer control even though its B&O. I think they can only move cars around within their group. So the Sytner Audi's can move cars between their showrooms but can't do it with Vindis Audi etc.

b24.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06
Another option is to buy used and sort the finance out yourself. best of both worlds.

Another option is to buy used and sort the finance out yourself. best of both worlds.

Fair point, can anyone recommend a good company for this? Sorry to keep going round the houses but Ive been in a company car for the last 12 years so havent had to even think about stuff like this.

Priced the new golf r 5 door dsg today with drivethedeal, for a £1k down its £385 pm on 48 month pcp. Seems like a decent deal to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair point, can anyone recommend a good company for this? Sorry to keep going round the houses but Ive been in a company car for the last 12 years so havent had to even think about stuff like this.

If you're going the used car route, also look out for the Audi used car events. I keep getting emails for them, there's apparently a summer event happening soon with up to £8k deposit contribution and APR from 4.8%. No idea what it'd be for the S3 but could save you some money.

I was going to buy a 7.5 Golf R. I have a one year old (or should I say new) R. I love it. But I wanted some more tech and the new R has it - and some cool updates as well. The problem was the VW dealer didn't do me a good deal. They wanted £11k as a deposit and over £700 a month to trade in my car for a new one. When I said this wasn't acceptable he said they would make it happen. And I never heard from them again.

Despite sending several emails and calling, in the end I got a good deal on an S3 saloon - more expensive than Im sure everyone else is paying here due to the money left on the R finance but something I am happy with for a very cool new car with more tech than the Golf (although I am losing the 8 inch display - for a 7 inch in the S3; I do get the superior VC in the Audi).

I'm very excited for my new car - it is currently in Emden at the port so I hope it will be here soon.

Reactions: AL_B
If you're going the used car route, also look out for the Audi used car events. I keep getting emails for them, there's apparently a summer event happening soon with up to £8k deposit contribution and APR from 4.8%. No idea what it'd be for the S3 but could save you some money.
S/RS cars aren't included in the Audi used event

The R misses the class that the S3 has.

My S3 is a far better place to sit then the R.

Reactions: TDI-line
Just got an email saying that the price of performance golfs are going up by £400, similar to what happened to the S3.