Facelift Facelift S3, is Audi sound system standard?

mojo555

Reaction score
if so how do I know if I have it? The sound is proper crappy on my facelift S3, I'm sure it said in spec that it's got the Audi sound system as standard, how can I tell if it has? I don't seem to have any sub settings...
Any help much appreciated.

By crappy basically every time any bass comes on it goes very quiet.. Then back up again when not

This has come up before you have set the bass to a very high level and on high volume levels you are clipping the amplifier.

Reactions: mojo555
Thanks, how can I tell if I have the Audi sound system? Should there be an amp or sub somewhere?

The Audi sound system and B&O both have subs and an amplifier....look at the driver door panel speaker, and see if it has B&O stamped on it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Definitely not b&o I had from new and didn't spec that esp as the standard spec includes Audi sound system

The sound is proper crappy on my facelift S3.

A sure fire indicator that you have the Audi Sound System, or *** for short...

Reactions: TDI-line, Rob2k68 and mojo555
Spare wheel will have a big round thing with wires attached. *** standard in FL S3.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
@mojo555 there is a possibility that your system has a fault, you have had a few Audis in the past, so how does it sound in comparison, if you are not happy take it back to the dealer for a check

However, if it does not have a fault it's interesting now that there is only 2 options for sound system "Audi" or upgrade to B and O that the lowest spec is now the sound of the devil and there are shouts of " how can a premium brand install such rubbish".

Pre face lift there were 3 options.

Standard - which was truly rubbish unless you never listened to the radio or only listened to LBC or Talk Sport
Audi *** - which was good for most but got the criticism of some
B & O - which was God to but even then got criticism from the FLAC (whatever that is) v MPG format brigade.

First world problems I think, or a bit if human nature and marketing snobbery and not wanting the lowest spec on anything...that's why most of us are driving or aspiring to driving S3's...:)

Btw..I have *** in my PFL which is totally fine for a car ( I like to hear the engine occasionally) but is not as substantive as my BOSE sound touch system in my living room, but I can't drive my living room!!!

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Flying Scotsman, Jassyo06 and 3 others
My experience is that Audi have been cost cutting with their systems. The standard system in my three year old A3 was 'fine' but the standard systems in two PFL loaners I had last year were terrible, both sounded as bad with exactly the same characteristics and issues.

Reactions: Rob2k68
By crappy basically every time any bass comes on it goes very quiet.. Then back up again when not

I have the same problem with mine, it completely ruins listening to anything with any bass in

This has come up before you have set the bass to a very high level and on high volume levels you are clipping the amplifier.

Nonsense, the bass setting is in the middle the same as the treble, and this occurs at less than half of maximum volume. A corner has been cut and the sound system is complete junk as a result of this.

Yes you have it.

No fault, just poor sound quality. Are you using Car Play? Stop using it! If you use Audi's normal media platform, on full bass it very really drops out.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Sounds like the amp as some very aggressive "compression" going on in order to try and even out the sound volume. This could be addressed via a firmware update if Audi acknowledges the issue.

Edit: If using an apple device as an audio source try turning off sound check, volume limit and eq.

Sounds like the amp as some very aggressive "compression" going on in order to try and even out the sound volume. This could be addressed via a firmware update if Audi acknowledges the issue.

Edit: If using an apple device as an audio source try turning off sound check, volume limit and eq.

I found my issue was with Car Play. It was very, very bad and ruined the car. But I reverted to the Media centre as it is presented in a more user-friendly format anyway and all my problems were resolved, much better than my standard sound system in the PFL A3.

Car Play is very rough at the moment, it was a real pain when say going between the navigation and back to my music, having to go to the menu and finding Car Play rather than just a toggle switch. Very, very disappointed.. I am glad the Audi interface is much better.

Reactions: DJAlix
I have a PFL S3 Saloon with *** and with Bass set to +1 and the Sub set to +3 I have zero issues with the volume or sound quality. I've got an SD Card with some high bitrate MP3s and an iPhone that I use in conjunction with Apple Music and there's definitely no variation in volume when it's at higher volumes even with Bass heavy tracks.

The Sub is to enhance the sound and does a pretty good job when dialled in, but it's definitely not for sitting at your local car meet with the boot open trying to impress the Corsa crowd.

I think some people are expecting too much of ***, it was only a £250 option for me, you don't get much for that nowadays.

Saying all that, the FL could be different and you could be getting a crippled system to pay for the other 'improvements'.

Reactions: pburv, Flying Scotsman, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
@mojo555 there is a possibility that your system has a fault, you have had a few Audis in the past, so how does it sound in comparison, if you are not happy take it back to the dealer for a check

However, if it does not have a fault it's interesting now that there is only 2 options for sound system "Audi" or upgrade to B and O that the lowest spec is now the sound of the devil and there are shouts of " how can a premium brand install such rubbish".

Pre face lift there were 3 options.

Standard - which was truly rubbish unless you never listened to the radio or only listened to LBC or Talk Sport
Audi *** - which was good for most but got the criticism of some
B & O - which was God to but even then got criticism from the FLAC (whatever that is) v MPG format brigade.

First world problems I think, or a bit if human nature and marketing snobbery and not wanting the lowest spec on anything...that's why most of us are driving or aspiring to driving S3's...:)

Btw..I have *** in my PFL which is totally fine for a car ( I like to hear the engine occasionally) but is not as substantive as my BOSE sound touch system in my living room, but I can't drive my living room!!!
Nailed it there dave lol

Reactions: pburv and Daveotto