Facelift Facelift RS3 - Colours - whats the deal ?

E S Blofeld

Reaction score
Is it me or are Audi lunching cars in non-standard colours. If so why do this. Is it to annoy me!!!

The new RS3 saloon was seen at the launch in Oman in what looks like Viper Green and a really nice Misano Red. Press shots looked awesome. Yet the car can't be ordered in either of these colours on the configurator. The green isn't an option, and the only red available is in fact Catalunya red, not Misano red as per the launch car. I wonder how many people could potentially order a 'red' car after seeing the press shots in Oman to then realise that the RS3 only comes in Catalunya 'orange' red, not Misano Red like the press cars. That could be an awkward 'handover' !

Why the hell do Audi do this? I saw the new RS3 saloon photos of the launch cars in Oman and thought great they've ditched the Catalunya 'orange' and gone with the Misano red, nope they just did the launch car in a one off. Brilliant Audi. Well done.

And they did it again with the saloon at the Festival of Speed. The car on display looked the nuts. I loved it and thought great thats my colour forget the red. But it wasn't in a standard colour either. They only blue on the configurator is Ara Blue. Turns out the stunning saloon at the FOS was Nagaro Blue or something else non standard.

So just to be clear the red is still orange and the new Ara blue is hideous, and they've ditch the fantastic Sepang Blue and did the launch car in a blue not seen since the 90's. WTF !!

So I guess its now down to Floret silver, Nardo grey or Daytona grey.

Really wanted a Misano red RS3 SB with black pack. Gutted. I'm not going down the 'exclusive' route.

Sorry. Rant over!!

Reactions: Radman, RS-jay and Terminator x
I thought the audi in the press pics and vids was catalunya red, doesn't look like misano. I thought the fos nogaro blue was hideous and the ara blue is awesome. I've seen a tts in ara blue at audu reading with Matt alu styling and red calipers and thought it looked awesome

Reactions: Rs1
Hate Ara blue. Not a patch on Sepang. It's like that ***** blue that half the BMWs seem to be in.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Radman and ice_cube99
Have to agree though I was surprised the green wasn't available which us the best green coloured car I've seen by a mile, though I'm not that brave. Most of the rs3 colours are boring. white is boring and like they forgot to paint it, nardo is hideous and like a primer, florets is ok, daytona and black are boring and you'll spend the rest if your life cleaning it, red is nice and ara blue is awesone

I'm confused as Evo described the launch cars as misano red, perhaps they made a mistake. Does anybody know for sure if the launch cars from Oman are Misano or Catalunya red?

I loved the blue of the saloon at the FOS. In person it looked a great colour, but it's not available unless you go exclusive. To be fair I've not seen Ara blue in person so I hope it's as good as you say Steve. Only seen videos or photos online, but preferred the Sepang blue. You're right Steve, I need to see it in person.

Anyway, just don't see the point of launching a car in a non standard colour. Do you?

I've seen some stunning pictures of Ara blue and seen it in the showroom under the lights where it looked good too.

But then I see pics like this one...

IMG 7895

And it puts me off, it clearly doesn't suit large cars. All the pics that I like Ara blue on are from the TTS/TTRS and R8. The few pics of the RS3 Saloon I've seen so far, I'm not 100% sure on. It doesn't pop the same way Sepang does, its not as deep or rich. Ara can look too light like the above pic. I've already changed my order from Catalunya to Ara but having 2nd thoughts yet again. I think Floret Silver is my next choice or go for the full black look with Mythos (Where you can spec the black pack). Panther black (You can't spec black pack) and I don't think I like it too much with the purple tint.

Have to agree with the OP, not a great standard colour palette. Exclusive is 'only' An extra £1600 over the Panther/Ara choice that you would pay for anyway.

Reactions: Radman
I'm starting to think haggle like hell on the price of the car and get some money off (here's hoping!), then if the deals good add in the exclusive at £1600 and get something totally unique. As you say Leo it's £1600 extra over a standard colours. In fact it's more like £800 extra, if you're on a pcp you're only paying the depreciation on the car (plus interest) not the full value. Choose a good colour and you may well get your £800 back come resale compared to a standard colour car.

I've seen some stunning pictures of Ara blue and seen it in the showroom under the lights where it looked good too.

View attachment 129932

And it puts me off, it clearly doesn't suit large cars. All the pics that I like Ara blue on are from the TTS/TTRS and R8. The few pics of the RS3 Saloon I've seen so far, I'm not 100% sure on. It doesn't pop the same way Sepang does, its not as deep or rich. Ara can look too light like the above pic. I've already changed my order from Catalunya to Ara but having 2nd thoughts yet again. I think Floret Silver is my next choice or go for the full black look with Mythos (Where you can spec the black pack). Panther black (You can't spec black pack) and I don't think I like it too much with the purple tint.

Have to agree with the OP, not a great standard colour palette. Exclusive is 'only' An extra £1600 over the Panther/Ara choice that you would pay for anyway.
I have Panther black with the black pack. It's only purply in direct sunlight. Other than that it just looks like an extremely rich, deep and dark black. I had mine washed over the weekend after literally months without touching it and it looked truly stunning, a real show stopper.

Hate Ara blue. Not a patch on Sepang. It's like that ***** blue that half the BMWs seem to be in.

View attachment 129932

Ara is a poor mans sepang. End of. In no light does it look good. End of.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and AudiNutta
Audis in red should be Misano. In blue should be Sepang. In black should be Panther. Imo

Colour is such a personal choice which polarises opinion, you either like a colour or you don't, but each to his own, but maybe some people should be a bit more respectful of other people's choices.

Reactions: James 123, Rs1 and Terminator x
Colour is such a personal choice which polarises opinion, you either like a colour or you don't, but each to his own, but maybe some people should be a bit more respectful of other people's choices.

Agreed. People should be thankful that a mainstream manufacturer gives you the option to pick any colour you like (at a price of course). Try getting that service from any Japanese or Korean manufacturer.

Ok lets not get bogged down with who said what about what colour!

Is this launch / press car car in Misano Red or Catalunya Red. Forget what the configurator says, just watch the video and see what you think:

That looks Misano. Either way, it's definitely not what Catalunya looks like in the flesh.

As for being disrespectful about other people's colour choices, I've not seen anyone do that. Just opinions on colour, not someone's specific order.

I agree DOC. It looks like Misano. Looks stunning too with the black pack. I think a sportback in that would look the nuts.

So if the car is for sale in Catalunya red as a standard colour why launch it in Misano red. So frustrating.

I am convinced that Audi are doing this on purpose just to get people to spend yet more £'sss on exclusive colours.

Audi release the same old tired colours and promote launch cars in exciting vibrant colours - which are £2k for paint.

I agree on sepang and misano - they are amazing colours.
I would also like to see suzuka grey re-introduced too.

Viper green & solar orange were both available at one time and also gone ?

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Radman and E S Blofeld
Every other A3 on the road though is sepang as it was standard colour for a while. I'd not want something so common on a RS3.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Radman and D0C
Every other A3 on the road though is sepang as it was standard colour for a while. I'd not want something so common on a RS3.

TX.

What? Your car isn't even painted. When you decide on a colour you can get that 'primer' covered up !!! ;)

Reactions: Radman and Terminator x

TX.

That is the only downside of Sepang. Every other s-line Q5 is in it.

Am i the only one that likes catalunya red? I think it looks great!

seen an rs3 for sale in catalunya with the gloss black golf R Pretoria alloys, it looked beautiful IMO

Am i the only one that likes catalunya red? I think it looks great!

seen an rs3 for sale in catalunya with the gloss black golf R Pretoria alloys, it looked beautiful IMO

I have Catalunya red and I love it. Also quite easy to keep clean :)

Reactions: Joe4842
I have Catalunya red and I love it. Also quite easy to keep clean :)

Perfect. Novw is it as orange as it appears in photos? Some pictures it looks like a really strong deep red, and in or others it looks quite faded red / orange.

Love this:

Audi rs3 sportback 8v c629121032017113450 2

not so much this.

Audi rs3 sportback 8v c509229082016100516 6

Take a chill pill folks. I only meant in my own personal opinion. Everyone has their preference.

It's like a

TX.

like all those grey Fabia's floating about

Reactions: E S Blofeld and Terminator x
Ouch ;)

TX.

Reactions: E S Blofeld and Radman
Perfect. Novw is it as orange as it appears in photos? Some pictures it looks like a really strong deep red, and in or others it looks quite faded red / orange.

Love this:

It got somewhat of an orange tint in some lighting. I actually really like it, a bit more interesting than regular red. It looks sooo much better irl, as with most colors of course.

This image is straight from my iPhone, a bit of sun on it and the rest in the shade for comparison.

IMG 2490

A neighbor of mines has a gray Fabia,and I will not park next to it mines, not cause of the colour is the same but......he has a panroof and I don't :scared2:

Reactions: Radman, Terminator x and E S Blofeld
It got somewhat of an orange tint in some lighting. I actually really like it, a bit more interesting than regular red. It looks sooo much better irl, as with most colors of course.

This image is straight from my iPhone, a bit of sun on it and the rest in the shade for comparison.

View attachment 129988

Looks great. As you say it has a hint of orange, think it works better with the ali pack rather than the black pack. Very nice.

like all those grey Fabia's floating about

:laughing: What were VW doing letting Skodia use almost the same grey as Audi RS. Maybe that's why Audi don't charge for it anymore :smirk:

Personally I'd sooner pay £2000 for Exclusive paint over something like technology pack . . .

Reactions: Jassyo06
Personally I'd sooner pay £2000 for Exclusive paint over something like technology pack . . .

Tech pack is included in the new big asking price! One good thing to come out of it.

Reactions: dno_uk
Reactions: Radman and Snake Pliskin
Ara is a new colour and so far you can only order it on TTS/TTRS, S3/RS3 and R8. The big plus point is there are hardly any cars roaming around with Ara blue paintwork.

Catalunya and Nardo are exclusive for RS only and they are even rarer.

As much as I love Sepang, the colour I chose for my RS6 below, it is now too common for its own good :(
IMG 7906
IMG 7907

You see Sepang on a lot of Audi's now unfortunately.

I'm just not keen on Panther black although I do like Floret silver but again it's common.

Porsche Riviera blue and Porsche Carmine red are 2 lovely colours im thinking about as an exclusive option...

IMG 7908 IMG 7909

It's only really another £1625 over choosing Ara blue.

Choices.

Reactions: Radman and D0C
Your RS6 looks stunning. Why did you get rid?

Porsche Riviera blue and Porsche Carmine red are 2 lovely colours im thinking about as an exclusive option...

View attachment 130142 View attachment 130143

It's only really another £1625 over choosing Ara blue.

Choices.

Ummmm... I'd be more inclined to say that those would be a 'custom' colour, different to Exclusive. Apparently Audi have around 200 set Exclusive colours! The custom paint is closer to £5k I believe.

Is ara blue really that bad.... any one seen it in person?... :blink: Does any one have a list of the exclusive colours... Would have to be a special and sensible option for 2.5k if its a good choice can make all the difference at resale time...

Does any one know until what stage you can stop amending spec and colour on an order? (Order was put through one week ago)

Thanks in advance :)

When I ordered mine back in 2015 it seemed to be option specific and the dealer didn't know what would happen to build date until after entered on their system. Something like special paint will push it out of course whereas you'd hope roof bars etc wouldn't.

TX.