Facelift retrofits to pre-facelift

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This is not a facelift thread so please read on all pre facelift owners .......

Thought I'd start a thread after seeing some unexpected changes to the facelift (some of which I'd quite like on mine!) so the modsters amongst us can share ideas, technical info, costs, part numbers, how to's, etc.

I've not done any yet but some I've though of :-

1. Facelift rear lights for dynamic indicators. Probably going to be quite a popular one this I've seen some videos on here with it already done but believe you need a harness adaptor and some coding - anyone have a link to these or could post them below ? Also bear in mind that strictly speaking the pre F/L Sportback has the rear reflectors built into the lamp units so will require stick on reflectors to make it road legal and in order to pass an MOT test. The F/L S/B has reflectors now in the bumper the same as the saloon and convertible.

2. Any P/F/L owners with the red calliper option ? These were fitted with black pads so it looked quite awkward, not the facelift however they are now all red - I'll try and add pictures later. If I had a P/F/L with red calipers I'd be all over this one.

3. Illuminated door sill tread plates. Not sure if these are standard but I've seen some smart looking illuminating sill tread plates with the 'S' logo on - I'll probably end up fitting these.

4. Ambient lighting on the lower edge of the aluminium door inlays. A very smart £200 option. Would make a nice retrofit or so I thought ..... you cannot buy these from Audi without the complete door casings in a similar way to the B&O speaker lighting. No go for this one I'm afraid it's really not viable due to cost.

5. Haldex controller or software update. From what I've read the F/L has new software allowing a slightly (?) increased rear wheel drive bias. Quite a bit about this on the American forums looking at extracting the S/W and reflashing or replacing with a F/L controller or module.

Reactions: AL_B, ammo-mcr, CarloS3 and 7 others
Good post @Rob2k68

Point 5, can you change the Quattro settings in the individual drive select mode?

Another point you might want to add is that all the buttons and switches light up white on the FL.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Good post @Rob2k68

Point 5, can you change the Quattro settings in the individual drive select mode?

Another point you might want to add is that all the buttons and switches light up white on the FL.

No mate - as far as I know it's all controlled by the black box. I like your thinking though - that would be an excellent addition to the Audi Drive Select Modes or even when using launch control being able to specify that 80% of the power is sent to the rear wheels would be good (not sure if it does this already to some extent).

Good one ....

6. The F/L switchgear and dash board lighting is all white where on the P/F/L it is mostly red (the exemption being ILP cup holders, B&O strip and MMI ring). This is technically possible I'd imagine but very expensive to do a proper job as it also extends to S-Tronic gear indicators, window/mirror switches and also the steering wheel.

If anyone's doing this posting costs and part numbers would be useful for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg, pburv and rasA4
Good post @Rob2k68

Does the white dash lighting look any better?...I quite like the red illumination.

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Rob2k68
@Rob2k68 excellent thread idea, maybe should be a sticky once we have some decent upgrades under our belt

Reactions: ammo-mcr, pburv and Rob2k68
Couple of pics to illustrate some of the items in my text heavy first post :-

2. Red brake calliper option:-

P/F/L-
RBC_PFL.jpg

F/L-
RBC_FL.JPG

3. Illuminated door sill tread plates :-
SILL_ILLUM.jpg

Reactions: ammo-mcr, SJ43 and pburv
Aren't the rear tailights (on the sportback and 3 door) a different shape? The inner edges of the light cluster seem to be. So therefore new bootlid aswell me thinks.

I think theyre is already a dynamic indicator module for pre-facelift rear lights? Seen it on this forum before..

Reactions: Rob2k68
for me the mod that I want to do, is upgrade MMI1 to put carplay/android auto
The rest as well, perhaps the ambient illumination of the interior door trim I like it.

Aren't the rear tailights (on the sportback and 3 door) a different shape? The inner edges of the light cluster seem to be. So therefore new bootlid aswell me thinks.

I think theyre is already a dynamic indicator module for pre-facelift rear lights? Seen it on this forum before..

Yes mate they are - rear lamps are all different between Saloon, 3 DR Hatch and Sportback the only ones that are common I believe are Saloon and Convertible. Hence F/L lamps are new for all models.

I've seen the dynamic module videos for the P/F/L - some refer to it as 'semi dynamic' which I think is more appropriate as all it seems to do is put a short delay between illumination of the inner and outer indicator lights rather than a nice sweeping motion.

Reactions: pburv and SJ43
for me the mod that I want to do, is upgrade MMI1 to put carplay/android auto
The rest as well, perhaps the ambient illumination of the interior door trim I like it.
What FrA1I3 said! Carplay/Android Auto would be killer. I know it's as unlikely as dodo teeth but that'd do me. And possibly dynamic indicators

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: glospete, Rob2k68 and FrA1l3
Rob, gotcha - thats a good point, they were a semi-dynamic not 100% dynamic

As for Apple car play, I've recently had the chance to try this in the FL Mercedes CLA (with premium Nav as an extra also) and I was slightly underwhelmed by it. For listening to music of Spotify etc its great but then I wanted to use the Sat Nav and realised I could ONLY use Google maps in the Apple carplay. Now, Google maps isnt bad, and if your car doesnt come from factory Sat nav then its fabulous...but you've paid £1-2k for a fancy graphics Sat nav but you have to make do with Google maps - which has inferior graphics/animations, basically imagine Google maps on your iPhone but mirrored onto your MMI screen.

Ultimately I just think it was a shame you can't use your fancy nav with Apple carplay. I'm not sure Audi have done this but I have a feeling they have too..

But I guess each to their own, just giving my 2p

Yes mate they are - rear lamps are all different between Saloon, 3 DR Hatch and Sportback the only ones that are common I believe are Saloon and Convertible. Hence F/L lamps are new for all models.

I've seen the dynamic module videos for the P/F/L - some refer to it as 'semi dynamic' which I think is more appropriate as all it seems to do is put a short delay between illumination of the inner and outer indicator lights rather than a nice sweeping motion.
Thought I would put this link in our thread Rob....
Regarding 'dynamic indicators'
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dynamic-indicators.285540/#post-2819786
it's from @DJAlix post..:friends:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...3-S3-RS3-Post-Facelift-LED-Taillight-Packages

Reactions: ammo-mcr and Rob2k68

That's certainly an interesting take on the dynamic indicators mate. Think it's buried somewhere deep in the VCDS thread, from memory think V8 quoted something from the road traffic act suggesting that it's not road legal.

Reactions: gutma and pburv
Anyone able to tell me how the brake calliper dust plates attach? If it's easy I'll buy a red set and crack on!

Anyone able to tell me how the brake calliper dust plates attach? If it's easy I'll buy a red set and crack on!

From what I can tell mate looking at the pictures from here they have two locating pins and two spring clips :-

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-8V_S3-Quattro-2.0T_Sedan/Braking/Caliper/Front/ES2740916/

Need a friendly parts guy or the reg number of a F/L car with red calipers on. Looks like they're around £30 each. Not sure if all four are the same or if they are different front to back or even LHS to RHS - ECS tuning only have the one listed which suggests that all four are the same.

Reactions: pburv
From what I can tell mate looking at the pictures from here they have two locating pins and two spring clips :-

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-8V_S3-Quattro-2.0T_Sedan/Braking/Caliper/Front/ES2740916/

Need a friendly parts guy or the reg number of a F/L car with red calipers on. Looks like they're around £30 each. Not sure if all four are the same or if they are different front to back or even LHS to RHS - ECS tuning only have the one listed which suggests that all four are the same.
Thanks mate - so looks like a simple "gently prise off" job?

I
Thanks mate - so looks like a simple "gently prise off" job?

Yeah I think so mate should be fairly straight forward - will look good with your wheels !

Reactions: pburv and batch
Personally, the black on red looks way better for calipers.

Not liking the FL version at all.

A heavily cropped image of mine

lfzbI6X.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: -Ju- and pburv
Does the white dash lighting look any better?...I quite like the red illumination.
I wish it was all red lighting including the dials & cupholder... or all blue like my old VW was, as the red for some white for others bugs my o.c.d. tendancies!. :rage:

Some feedback on the illuminated 'S' logo sill tread plates as now standard on the F/L from S-Line upwards I believe - these are much better looking than the A3 or quattro ones in the accessory catalogue.

I was very keen on doing this and have had a lot of help from parts guru Mike @mjr901 , whilst not impossible it is not plug and play as I'd expected mainly due to the factory fit illuminated sills being hard wired into the cars wiring and NOT battery powered as per the accessory items. This means that you need to hard wire them into the door ajar wiring for correct functionality - not a major problem in itself but the wiring routing has killed this off for me as you also need to drill a hole in the sill so that the harness can go from wetside (outboard of the door seal) to inside of the car. Again not impossible but for the approximate cost of £240 or thereabouts for the parts it's cash that I'll likely spend elsewhere.

Reactions: SJ43, pburv and Gordo77
Thanks for letting us know Rob and Mike. Don't like the sound of drilling through the sill either!

Thanks for letting us know Rob and Mike. Don't like the sound of drilling through the sill either!

You're welcome mate :friends: - yeah shame really I'm sure somebody will do it but I began to loose interest when drilling holes became needed. I'll put the money I've saved towards hitting 400bhp LoL (man maths !!!).

Reactions: Jcbmally, MikeParkin, SJ43 and 1 other person
You're welcome mate :friends: - yeah shame really I'm sure somebody will do it but I began to loose interest when drilling holes became needed. I'll put the money I've saved towards hitting 400bhp LoL (man maths !!!).
So talking 'man maths' in time you will be knocking on 400bhp by next week.lol

Reactions: MikeParkin, SJ43 and Rob2k68
Are there any FL that you want to disassemble interior inlays with light to see if they would be compatible with the PFL?

regards

Reactions: rasA4
Some feedback on the illuminated 'S' logo sill tread plates as now standard on the F/L from S-Line upwards I believe - these are much better looking than the A3 or quattro ones in the accessory catalogue.

I was very keen on doing this and have had a lot of help from parts guru Mike @mjr901 , whilst not impossible it is not plug and play as I'd expected mainly due to the factory fit illuminated sills being hard wired into the cars wiring and NOT battery powered as per the accessory items. This means that you need to hard wire them into the door ajar wiring for correct functionality - not a major problem in itself but the wiring routing has killed this off for me as you also need to drill a hole in the sill so that the harness can go from wetside (outboard of the door seal) to inside of the car. Again not impossible but for the approximate cost of £240 or thereabouts for the parts it's cash that I'll likely spend elsewhere.
I'm just happy that Audi equipped my A3 with door sills, I rather have label-less door sill than no door sill.

Reactions: pburv, SJ43 and Rob2k68
Saw a thread the other day where a FL S3 owner posted their non-VC speedo cluster (White FL S3 if anyone remembers?) I cant find the thread!
They had a different squared off font in there DIS for their digital speedometer, if this makes sense?
Makes our rounded off font look dated, which has been the same for all previous audi models.
Assuming hardware of the cluster is likely to be the same, theres got to be a way to change this on our cars via VCDS or the like..
If only I could find the picture again!

Would the new digital cluster panel fit P/F/L ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no... You'd have to trim the dash housing to fit unless you want to buy the whole FL dash as well. Other than that it's pretty much plug n play but you'd still need to get CP removed. And then, maps or video doesn't display correctly (only half the screen) with MMI1, you'll need the new MMI2 to utilize the full screen for map and video because only MMI2 has the correct resolution output. And also, the FL steering wheel to control the VC zoom in and out etc.

Reactions: pburv and ghentkatarn

I think a couple of people have done it already with varying degrees of success - need to find the info and post it here.

Yes and no... You'd have to trim the dash housing to fit unless you want to buy the whole FL dash as well. Other than that it's pretty much plug n play but you'd still need to get CP removed. And then, maps or video doesn't display correctly (only half the screen) with MMI1, you'll need the new MMI2 to utilize the full screen for map and video because only MMI2 has the correct resolution output. And also, the FL steering wheel to control the VC zoom in and out etc.

Holy crap :( I hate Audi, they change everything when a facelift arrives.

Hmmm sounds like a big job and probably not worth the effort unless you can go the whole hog with MMI2 as well.

Hmmm sounds like a big job and probably not worth the effort unless you can go the whole hog with MMI2 as well.

Yeah, pretty much that's what's holding me back right now, I have yet to see the new MMI2 screen or center control panel up for sell, but the VC + MMI2 head unit itself is already about 2K+ Euro, and knowing myself, I'll opt for a FL dash as well and if order new, it's gonna be 3K+ Euro retrofit..

Is the rear bumper of the FL compatible with a prefacelift? I want to change my rear bumper for the new one.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Is the rear bumper of the FL compatible with a prefacelift? I want to change my rear bumper for the new one.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

I would expect so - all of the adjacent body panels are the same it's just whether or not Audi have changed any fixing points.

The part number of the bumpers are different even thought the sedan version looks identical, and the diffuser fixtures look different from ETKA too. I'm sure the whole bumper would fit, but not sure about just changing the diffusers...

great thread!!!

I've ordered a facelift rear bumper to my p/f/l a3. We'll see if it would fit or not :)

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Reactions: ammo-mcr and Rob2k68