Facelift heated steering wheel retrofit.

rhombass

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I really want to install a heated steering wheel to my FL A3 8v sedan. I know the guy who already installed this to his pre-facelift a3. He told me what parts to buy, but he doesn't know how to code this thing, since it was done somewhere in Russia by some service, which I can't contact. Also he told me that since he installed it on a pre-facelift car he doesn't has heated steering wheel in "energy consumers" menu. And it is not coded properly. But in a FL car as mine it should be coded fine.

I have already bought a proper steering wheel with heating(8W0419091K ) and slip ring (5Q0953549D) with slip ring with heating support.
My airbag fits to this steering wheel perfectly. Also guy told me that connector should be re-pined. I bought this one as well. (5Q0972726)
CoAAAgIGCOA-1920.jpg

I also found a wire scheme in new online elsawin.

So now I'm already ready to make this retrofit. But before re-pinning connector and replacing slip ring, I need to know what and where to code. :/
Can't find any info on this. That's why I wonder if someone can advice, what should be codded?

Reactions: Wezango

I really want to install a heated steering wheel to my FL A3 8v sedan. I know the guy who already installed this to his pre-facelift a3. He told me what parts to buy, but he doesn't know how to code this thing, since it was done somewhere in Russia by some service, which I can't contact. Also he told me that since he installed it on a pre-facelift car he doesn't has heated steering wheel in "energy consumers" menu. And it is not coded properly. But in a FL car as mine it should be coded fine.

I have already bought a proper steering wheel with heating(8W0419091K ) and slip ring (5Q0953549D) with slip ring with heating support.
My airbag fits to this steering wheel perfectly. Also guy told me that connector should be re-pined. I bought this one as well. (5Q0972726)
CoAAAgIGCOA-1920.jpg

So now I'm already ready to make this retrofit. But before re-pinning connector and replacing slip ring, I need to know what and where to code. :/
Can't find any info on this. That's why I wonder if someone can advice, what should be codded?
Hi! Did you managed to install heated steering wheel? What did you do on coding side? Was those 2 parts enough for this retrofit? Oh and what about re-pinning?

Hi! Did you managed to install heated steering wheel? What did you do on coding side? Was those 2 parts enough for this retrofit? Oh and what about re-pinning?

I still haven't installed it. It requires Odis software to code climate control module. So I need to ride 400km to Poland to install it, since I can not find any local workshops to have Odis software. I'm planning to do it in a nearest future. Before I start I need to alter the seam on a steering wheel first, so it will fit interior design. Although I found and ordered this cable kit.

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...radheizung-beheizbares-Lenkrad-Kabelsatz.html

It comes with a complete retrofit guide. Including repining instructions and coding information. So if you're planning to do it you can order this cable and get all required information.

I still haven't installed it. It requires Odis software to code climate control module. So I need to ride 400km to Poland to install it, since I can not find any local workshops to have Odis software. I'm planning to do it in a nearest future. Before I start I need to alter the seam on a steering wheel first, so it will fit interior design. Although I found and ordered this cable kit.

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...radheizung-beheizbares-Lenkrad-Kabelsatz.html

It comes with a complete retrofit guide. Including repining instructions and coding information. So if you're planning to do it you can order this cable and get all required information.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there are no workshops with Odis here in Ireland. Closest one would be in UK mainland and going there is a bit problematic :) I am trying to retrofit stuff that doesn't need Odis and parametrisation. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there are no workshops with Odis here in Ireland. Closest one would be in UK mainland and going there is a bit problematic :) I am trying to retrofit stuff that doesn't need Odis and parametrisation. Thanks again!

They recommend to use Odis, although Im not sure if it cannot be done via vcds. I haven't seen parametrisation procedures in this manual. I can pm you at evening and send coding info. Maybe this can be done without Odis. I received manual 2 days ago and haven't checked it yet. I don't have even vcds, so for now can't check.

They recommend to use Odis, although Im not sure if it cannot be done via vcds. I haven't seen parametrisation procedures in this manual. I can pm you at evening and send coding info. Maybe this can be done without Odis. I received manual 2 days ago and haven't checked it yet. I don't have even vcds, so for now can't check.
That would be really great! Thanks a lot!

Hi. Very interesting topic :) Have you done the retrofit? I am also interested in doing the same stuff. I appreciate if you can send me the coding info as well. Thanks.

Hard to believe there is no audi/vw/seat or skoda dealer in Ireland..

I need to ride 400km to Poland to install it

Is it really worth all this time, effort and expense to retrofit a heated steering wheel?
I wouldn't have considered it worth paying £50 for this if it had been a tick box factory option on the order sheet never mind raving the car to bits and risk some gifted amateur bricking the coding.

Reactions: N.J.H
Is it really worth all this time, effort and expense to retrofit a heated steering wheel?
I wouldn't have considered it worth paying £50 for this if it had been a tick box factory option on the order sheet never mind raving the car to bits and risk some gifted amateur bricking the coding.

I think it is worth doing. unfortunately I cannot go to Poland for now since borderrs are closed.
I have everything prepared for instal. Wires, coding manual, steering wheel and steering wheel unit. I spoke to one coder and he told me that it can be done without ODIS. So I will try to do it when quarantine is over. I always have cold hands in car, so I will do it anyways.

On a pre-facelift cars it is complicated, but on a FL a3 it is pretty simple. At least people are saying it is :)

In the meantime you could order some of these.
Think they do a matching mask and harness.

Or buy a new model A3. Those new vents either side of the dash are ideally placed to keep your germans warm.

GSG-Mens-Leather-Gloves-Mittens-Hole-Button-Breathable-Goat-Genuine-Leather-Men-Driving-Gloves-Half-Finger.jpg

Reactions: dp_motley and Phutters
Ask if they can do a remote install with vas 5054. They might be able te help you then.
For vas5054 you need windows 7... Vas 5054 you can order on ali..

You install parts and wiring.

So ladies and gentlemen :)

Finally got an update on this after two years - have successfully retrofitted heated steering wheel ona a3 8v 2017 FL model :)

PwAAAgPzd-A-1920.jpg

I have sent it to change a leather and stitching. But finally got it to work. For now no additional coding was required. I only need to code MMI menu, so there would be no optional button setup in menu, since there is a heating button on SW instead. The only thing that had to be coded is slip ring settings according to car's options. (no ACC, just regular CC, and so on)

So now I can confirm - just replace slip ring. Rewire a main cable from 16PIN to 14PIN (5Q0972726) connector. Add 2 new wires for heating itself and that's really all you have to do :) Maybe GATE should be codded as well, but for now everything works fint. VCDS can find only some cockpit fault code, but I think it is because of MMI optional button setting. I need to find where to remove this option in VCDS.

F2QAAgOzd-A-1920.jpg

qoQAAgBzd-A-1920.jpg

_hgAAgBzd-A-1920.jpg

WAQAAgDzd-A-1920.jpg

x-AAAgLzd-A-1920.jpg

CaQAAgHzd-A-1920.jpg

I'm so happy I finally did this :)

If someone is interested, this week I will have extra heated steering wheel with gear pads to sell. :)

Reactions: dantdi, jimojameso and Dubjam
Well done my friend .great mod. Must be very rewarding. Sre you the first to have the retrofit ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well done my friend .great mod. Must be very rewarding. Sre you the first to have the retrofit ?

I'm definitely not the first who done this retrofit on a3 8v :) First one was one guy from Russia who helped me with info. But he did it on pre-facelift car and he still has some fault codes on gate, climate e.t.c... Because pre-facelift never had this option from factory.

I think I'm one of the first people who made this retrofit on a facelift car. Or at least the first one who posted info about this on a web. Before I wasn't able to find any info except Russian pre-facelift install. :)

CoAAAgIGCOA-1920.jpg

Hey! Is it the same for audi A4 2017 ???

Is there a flat bottom steering wheel with the heating element?

Is there a flat bottom steering wheel with the heating element?
Unfortunately not. Not even on the 8Y variant. I think it has to do with potential hot spots where the corners are of the flat section, but it's just a guess.
I bet some Russian would've stripped the round and flat bottom wheel and retrofit the heat element in some way, good luck sewing the leather back together.

Unfortunately not. Not even on the 8Y variant. I think it has to do with potential hot spots where the corners are of the flat section, but it's just a guess.
I bet some Russian would've stripped the round and flat bottom wheel and retrofit the heat element in some way, good luck sewing the leather back together.
Hot off the press!

Reactions: FPSUsername
Now that is pretty cool!
Too bad that the configurable button is replaced for heating rather than having both available (I use it quite often to skip the current playing song).
I'm curious regarding the build quality of the wheel itself, I've seen some videos on youtube regarding steering wheels from China.

For me, this particular model is of no use. No S-Line badging (as my current flat bottom PFL steering wheel does have), no perforated leather (don't know if that's possible with the heated function) and it's for an automatic, I have a manual, but I bet that there are more variants available.
In case Audi did produce this exact model, it might be worth checking it out on ETKA and find the exact part number, then cross check on eBay to find real OEM units.

Keep in mind, airbags are expensive to replace, thus for a PFL to FL conversion, the total costs will be around 1k+ euro :/

Now that is pretty cool!
Too bad that the configurable button is replaced for heating rather than having both available (I use it quite often to skip the current playing song).
I'm curious regarding the build quality of the wheel itself, I've seen some videos on youtube regarding steering wheels from China.

For me, this particular model is of no use. No S-Line badging (as my current flat bottom PFL steering wheel does have), no perforated leather (don't know if that's possible with the heated function) and it's for an automatic, I have a manual, but I bet that there are more variants available.
In case Audi did produce this exact model, it might be worth checking it out on ETKA and find the exact part number, then cross check on eBay to find real OEM units.

Keep in mind, airbags are expensive to replace, thus for a PFL to FL conversion, the total costs will be around 1k+ euro :/
I was just gearing up to try and get a heated flat bottom perforated wheel mod as it seems to be the holy grail and I am not as gifted as the guy who did the amazing job with a Q7 donor wheel a couple of years back.
I bought an 8Y A3 Sportback tfsie and have been steadily trying to create an S3 lookalike with Vorsprung spec as it came with sun roof, matrix lights which was a good head start - Hoping to fit a power tailgate in a couple of days so will post my findings.

I know you can't post airbags so I was hoping that this wheel supplier could do a perforated version - there are a couple of other sellers offering carbon and other options on ALi Express is it not as simple as the wiring and airbag simply swapped over??

I was just gearing up to try and get a heated flat bottom perforated wheel mod as it seems to be the holy grail and I am not as gifted as the guy who did the amazing job with a Q7 donor wheel a couple of years back.
I bought an 8Y A3 Sportback tfsie and have been steadily trying to create an S3 lookalike with Vorsprung spec as it came with sun roof, matrix lights which was a good head start - Hoping to fit a power tailgate in a couple of days so will post my findings.

I know you can't post airbags so I was hoping that this wheel supplier could do a perforated version - there are a couple of other sellers offering carbon and other options on ALi Express is it not as simple as the wiring and airbag simply swapped over??
Sounds like a nice project for your 8Y. I'm also looking to max out my A3, but parts are really expensive and I don't feel like buying retrofit kits. Current plan is to add heated seats (it's just that the seat elements are so expensive).

I think for steering wheel swaps it's just plug and play. For heated wheel retrofit, I think you need to pull a wire from the fuse box and repin a connector. Don't quote me on this though.

Sounds like a nice project for your 8Y. I'm also looking to max out my A3, but parts are really expensive and I don't feel like buying retrofit kits. Current plan is to add heated seats (it's just that the seat elements are so expensive).

I think for steering wheel swaps it's just plug and play. For heated wheel retrofit, I think you need to pull a wire from the fuse box and repin a connector. Don't quote me on this though.
Keep looking on the seats - I have them in Leather/leatheresque! and would like the supersport ones with alcantara middle section - If I find some I will sell mine. There some on ebay recently but the seller was unresponsive to my requests for some photos of the wiring.
The Audi is my wifes and I have the same car in VW form - one obervation is that the heated seats take longer to penetrate the leather than the cloth of the golf - they are really good and include the rear too.

Keep looking on the seats - I have them in Leather/leatheresque! and would like the supersport ones with alcantara middle section - If I find some I will sell mine. There some on ebay recently but the seller was unresponsive to my requests for some photos of the wiring.
The Audi is my wifes and I have the same car in VW form - one obervation is that the heated seats take longer to penetrate the leather than the cloth of the golf - they are really good and include the rear too.
I have these: Fabric biathlon / leather pearl nappa with S line print in backrest of front seats. Fabric in the middle, leather on the sides. It's really comfortable, but I still think full leather might be a bit nicer (as on the 8P with recaro seats).
Other notes from myaudi:
  • Without seat heating
  • Without lumbar support in the backrest
  • Without neck fan
Didn't know neck fan was an option. Not sure what the lumbar support means, but I think that's for inflatable parts, perhaps also part of the electronically adjustable seats package (I have manual ones and don't feel the need to add weight to the car as I'm the only driver).

I have these: Fabric biathlon / leather pearl nappa with S line print in backrest of front seats. Fabric in the middle, leather on the sides. It's really comfortable, but I still think full leather might be a bit nicer (as on the 8P with recaro seats).
Other notes from myaudi:
  • Without seat heating
  • Without lumbar support in the backrest
  • Without neck fan
Didn't know neck fan was an option. Not sure what the lumbar support means, but I think that's for inflatable parts, perhaps also part of the electronically adjustable seats package (I have manual ones and don't feel the need to add weight to the car as I'm the only driver).
the lumbar support is odd because it is electric and all it does is demonstrate that theyve cut corners and not put seat adjustment in. How have we ever lived without neck fans!!.
On the steering wheel I have an update - late last night I got in contact with the seller using the message function on ALi Express and I have ordered this
I know you said you would miss the favourite button but I have been through what is required basically running a 12v supply from the fuse box and purchasing a new clock ring with a heating element. Fingers crossed!!!!

Reactions: FPSUsername
the lumbar support is odd because it is electric and all it does is demonstrate that theyve cut corners and not put seat adjustment in. How have we ever lived without neck fans!!.
On the steering wheel I have an update - late last night I got in contact with the seller using the message function on ALi Express and I have ordered this
I know you said you would miss the favourite button but I have been through what is required basically running a 12v supply from the fuse box and purchasing a new clock ring with a heating element. Fingers crossed!!!!
Ah well, lumbar support is good enough in the sport seats I have. Neck fans? To me it sounds like a recipe for neck pain. I'd rather have the cooled seats (which is basially a set of fans blowing on the foam) for the summer, but since I have half leather, it's not a big deal.

Regarding the wheel, that's amazing mate. For the thread's sake, list the part numbers needed (at least for the clockspring). I think I could figure it out with ETKA, but without a complete sticker sheet of the 8V with the heated wheel, it's a bit more difficult to find it, as you have to check every part number and see if it has the correct PR listed.
I really wonder why Audi created two trim pieces at the top corners of the buttons, rather than keeping the buttons at full length as on the PFL wheels, or put two programmable buttons. (next/previous song, or maybe something for change ambient light color, turn it on/off, etc).

I'm definitely not the first who done this retrofit on a3 8v :) First one was one guy from Russia who helped me with info. But he did it on pre-facelift car and he still has some fault codes on gate, climate e.t.c... Because pre-facelift never had this option from factory.

I think I'm one of the first people who made this retrofit on a facelift car. Or at least the first one who posted info about this on a web. Before I wasn't able to find any info except Russian pre-facelift install. :)
Hello there - I am trying to be one of the first people to retro fit a heated wheel to an 8Y A3 - I have the wheel which is a flat bottomed S line which has had the favourite button converted to become the heated wheel button. I am really struggling to find an electrician or coder to touch this job as it is all so new. I can't even make much progress in tracking down the righ clock spring. Do you have any advice for me or shall I open up a new thread to see if there is anyone out there?
H6ef0f7165c1c43d8a0bf8bb3308986ce3

Attachments

• whee2l.jpg
    whee2l.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 146
  • wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 105
  • wheel3.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 121