Facelift Headlight Conversion

PalmerA8

Reaction score
The lights on my S4 are a bit beyond saving, and i cant be ***** with getting new lenses and taking them to bits. Also, my indicators at the front needed re sealing but i broke them instead :/

So ive been looking at facelift headlights as i cant find the clear style indicators i like. Well i cant find the right side only the left. (The feck is with that anyway was the same when i was looking for the clear rear lights... only the left?)

Anyway ive found a set of projector headlights, and you can get wiring adapters off ebay so no cut and crimp jobbies.

My query is my S4 has factory xenons, so am i right in thinking it should be ok as the headlight design is the same aka a projector?

Chris

yes and quite easy to retro fit

Yeah ive got a dremel for the wing surgery haha.

Ebay item for harness adapter is

Unless someone knows a cheaper and UK based one?

Chris

If yours has xenons the ballast/bulb is not interchangeable with one piece lights so will leave you with H7's and also cheap headlights with projectors that dont put out the light properly.

If your getting one piece get a decent set of OEM ones or new valeo units dont go depo or any other.

Would anyone kindly have a linky for some oem spec / valeo ones for xenons.....

Im not sure which are correct and which are not >.<

Would i need to get a different ballast / bulb from the one on at the moment?

Chris

Yes you would you need a Different ballast you can use the one from the renault meganes should be LAD51 iirc

Wouldnt it be easier just to get some normal headlights then get a good quality HID kit? lol

Surely there cant be that much difference if you get them set up tidy the ballasts correctly though ^^

So for that could i use the original link headlights i posted the H7 projector halogen ones, then swap for a HID kit??

Chris

Yeah you can but i find with the cheaper H7 hid's you have to replace a bulb/ballst at least twice in one year mine have been in for 2 years now fault free and glad i went this route.

Ive had my had aftermarket hid ballasts and bulbs in my FL for three years now in both the dims and the heads and have only changed the dims once,considering I drive with them on all the time im quite pleased with that!i suppose it depends on the quality of the kit and with the way things are going the ballast are only getting smaller,neater and easier to conceal.

The halogen projectors aren't really suitable for HID kits, hence why you see so many chavved up cars blinding everyone with their bright blue bobby dazzlers.

There's a bloke on AudiSRS selling a full OEM facelift xenon set with the wiring for a pre-facelift car for £250 - http://audisrs.com/about58570.html&highlight=

The projectors really aren't that bad to be fair. The cutoff is acceptable as is the beam pattern. For sure the real deal may well perform a little better but a HID kit in the halogen projector is a perfectly acceptable and functional solution. What isn't acceptable is the fitment of HID lamps into reflector lenses which is what causes the dazzle commonly attributed to retrofit HID kits. If you have HIDs in a projector and you are dazzling people you need to look at the headlamp alignment rather than be blaming the lamp type

Reactions: jbh, Kevinb5 and slepy
Trups from EM Tuning modified my existing lights.
e5f9c4c894759fa90a1cd5a2ba59d78e.jpg

Reactions: jbh
I think if anything the projector lamps are more suited to hids than reflectors,ive yet to meet a car on the road with aftermarket (8000k blue noticeably aftermarket) hids with projector lamps that have dazzled me,yet every mk5 golf with reflector lamps even with 'ice blue' bulbs have.

Yeah a projector is better suited for hids, but i personally dont rate the aftermarket kits hence the reason i went OEM and i will never look back theres no fuss as its all built in to the light unit, if a ballast goes you need to remove the light but these thing rarely fail (mine look to be original ones) i did a neat install of mounting the ballast in the ballast recess in my old lights but then when they kept failing i got frustrated when i was taking out the headlights every 4 month or so.

Again it all depends on your budget and what your happy with.

But id recommend hands down everytime the OEM route is top trump !!

I had the FL lights with the HID kit in my old fwd and was going to fit them to the quattro but I got the chance of the pfl xenon's local and went for them. im glad I did I prefer the light from them.
my old lights were good and better than the standard H7 bulbs but I think the xenon's are better than the HID's

These are prototypes and used for advertising, final cost to me was approx 400 however this did include a complete rebuild of the O/S unit as it was damaged sometime in the past, probably from a front end knock. Plus other bits and bobs for the front fogs, best to ask him for a quote. Mine were pretty poor before he restored them and im very happy with the finished product

I have a6 2.8 want to swap out transmissions 6speed would it fit