Facelift Facelift exhaust valves

fasteddy

Reaction score
I wondered if any of you guys know if the exhaust valves can be unplugged when the engine is switched off and the valves stay open like they do on a pre facelift S3
Thanks

If anything like the 8V, yes. I cannot see them changing the design to anything else...

Should be the same, same on the FL S3.

I hope so, I will be fitting my valve remote to fully open the start up bark.. the way the valves shut a few seconds after start ruins it.

What are the benefits of controlling exhaust valves? Serious question.

Even in full dynamic, the car opens and closes them. You know the 3500rpm bark you RS owners speak of? That is because the valves open at 3500rpm. With the RS, it should make a big difference to it.

When in full dynamic the valves open at idle, then as soon as you pull away close and stay closed until around 3500rpm.

A simple free test to see if you like it is, start the car (have a look first so the pipes remain cold) and put it in dynamic so you hear the valves open. Get down underneath and pull the two plugs, one on either valve on each pipe. Then the valves will be open because they have no power, simple compression clip and pull.

I paid for the valve controller online, around £160 I think I paid. What you get for that is a control box, which you plug one of the original valve supplies into and the output is two new plugs to the valves. You get two wireless remote controls and can control the valves on and off as you wish, so they are open 100% of the time and you get full noise.

Here is an example, note as the revs build on the dyno through 3500 the engine note gets obviously deeper.. this is the bark all owners crave. If you struggle to tell, they open at 01:00 one of the times:

Here is another, I will leave you figure this one for yourself:

Supposedly the FL has altered valve control, so they are open more lower down the revs for a better noise.. it will be interesting to see how they operate.

It's a 3 minute job and on the RS it will probably totally transform it, the difference is clear. You might have noticed when you pull up sometimes at lights etc, the noise changes.

Last edited:
The car is nuts at 3-4k rpm though, why you would want that "all the time" is beyond me.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-800
The car is nuts at 3-4k rpm though, why you would want that "all the time" is beyond me.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I'm interested to experience it day to day, I need the demo to arrive so I can have a day out and remind myself how good they are. Last time I drove / sat in an RS3 was October.

Thanks guys so I'll just unplug when ignition off and I'll be good to have valves open all the time just like the pfl S3

Reactions: AudiNutta
Thanks guys so I'll just unplug when ignition off and I'll be good to have valves open all the time just like the pfl S3

Well, make sure it's still in dynamic or they will always be shut :lmfao:

Don't shut it off, sometimes when you shut off the valves shut!

Are you guys 100% sure they are shutting in dynamic and that you are not just getting caught out by the feature that stops them being started in full dynamic mode?

On my B8.5 RS4 everyone said the same but i didn't believe them and tested it with vcds. Sure enough dynamic meant the valves were open 100% of the time. What caught people out was the need to cycle the modes after you start the car because it will never start with the engine or box settings in dynamic even when it says it's in dynamic. This is to stop "unexpected dynamic driving characteristics" after a driver change.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are you guys 100% sure they are shutting in dynamic and that you are not just getting caught out by the feature that stops them being started in full dynamic mode?

On my B8.5 RS4 everyone said the same but i didn't believe them and tested it with vcds. Sure enough dynamic meant the valves were open 100% of the time. What caught people out was the need to cycle the modes after you start the car because it will never start with the engine or box settings in dynamic even when it says it's in dynamic. This is to stop "unexpected dynamic driving characteristics" after a driver change.

110% sure. My mate pulls off in his S3 with them still connected, as he passes a few mph you hear the valves operate and the sound change. I've heard it on the RS3, as soon as it moves off the noise changes and the valves definitely don't open until past 3000rpm.

110% sure. My mate pulls off in his S3 with them still connected, as he passes a few mph you hear the valves operate and the sound change. I've heard it on the RS3, as soon as it moves off the noise changes and the valves definitely don't open until past 3000rpm.
Yes but have you done that when after you start it you click the drive select button to cycle all the way back round to dynamic?

It's 3500rpm in gears 1-5 and 2800rpm.in 6 and 7 with a minimum 25% throttle on the 4. Also they shut 200rpm later on the overrun than they open on acceleration for some weird reason.

Yes but have you done that when after you start it you click the drive select button to cycle all the way back round to dynamic?

Yes, still does it. If in comfort etc, the valves don't open until you pass a really high threshold (5k or along those lines). Thinking about it, for your car that's not high ;)

Yes, still does it. If in comfort etc, the valves don't open until you pass a really high threshold (5k or along those lines). Thinking about it, for your car that's not high ;)
Got you. Ok it is different then. Comfort on mine is the same as auto. It only has open all the time or as described above.

Thought it was worth checking as the whole internet said mine was like you describe and everyone plugged the vacuum then it turned out to be that BS cant start in dynamic 'feature'.

I'd imagine this would make a nice difference on a highly boosted single bank engine. Unplugging them actually lost me 12lbft torque low down on the V8

Last edited:
Which valve control units have/Are people using?

Got you. Ok it is different then. Comfort on mine is the same as auto. It only has open all the time or as described above.

Thought it was worth checking as the whole internet said mine was like you describe and everyone plugged the vacuum then it turned out to be that BS cant start in dynamic 'feature'.

I'd imagine this would make a nice difference on a highly boosted single bank engine. Unplugging them actually lost me 12lbft torque low down on the V8

They definitely open and close, I've come across a few cars now that I've witnessed in person without the ones I've seen online.

But I can't comment on the RS4, haven't noticed that. Did you really lose power? Shouldn't make any difference with valves.

They definitely open and close, I've come across a few cars now that I've witnessed in person without the ones I've seen online.

But I can't comment on the RS4, haven't noticed that. Did you really lose power? Shouldn't make any difference with valves.
Yes you have to think a n/a twin bank engine will be very sensitive to back pressure and therefore exhaust scavenging. On the boosted 5 pot it should only be a good thing to have them open.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Yes you have to think a n/a twin bank engine will be very sensitive to back pressure and therefore exhaust scavenging. On the boosted 5 pot it should only be a good thing to have them open.

I suppose, that's a good point and susprising it made a fairly big change considering.

Which valve control units have/Are people using?

Nothing! Sport exhaust is quite adequate for the power of the engine in standard trim!
My only gripe might be that it does not start in closed flap mode - or at least there is not an option to shut them on start-up.

I suppose, that's a good point and susprising it made a fairly big change considering.
4% below 3500rpm - you'd never feel it. And anytime you are having fun it never drops below 7k rpm

Anyway sorry back on topic. Just thought I'd check you are all cycling the modes on start up.

I'm assuming just like the pfl S3 the valves are open by default when the ignition is off
So all I did was unplugged the two connectors and they were open all the time
Can any facelift S3 and pfl Rs3 and fl Rs3 owners confirm this?

I'm assuming just like the pfl S3 the valves are open by default when the ignition is off
So all I did was unplugged the two connectors and they were open all the time
Can any facelift S3 and pfl Rs3 and fl Rs3 owners confirm this?

No they aren't, they actually close it anything! Mine are always open, they don't close straight away but if I go back after 10 minutes and unlock or open the door, they close. The only way you can know for sure is by putting in dynamic with them plugged in, listen for them opening and then unplug.