Facelift Dumbo Mirrors Fitted - Guide

hello friend!

finally i did it,now i've got the automatic folding mirrors when i arm or disarm my car through the remote control.
you are right that in the diagram there was couple of more wires that i really don't have.
no,on the leons if you press for a couple of seconds the open button on the remote,the mirrors didn't fold in automatically.

but there is a small problem that after this modification with the audi relay,i am not able to use the fold/unfold mirror button that i was using before to fold/unfold them manually.is it same to you?
i'm from italy,so pardon my english.
thankx mate

OK im glad that you have managed to sort it out.
as for the mirror button, did you wire in the SE cable to just the CL SAFE wire or did you also split that wire and connect it to the button?

ok so looking at that diagram im not sure why you have 2 extra relays in there but there is a wire coming from 12 and going to the safe wire and the mirror switch, have you wired that one in properly?

As i ran out of daylight ran the wires and left the mirror switch disabled. i have though today seen that i cannot control the mirror glass motor so will investigate this as soon as i get a chance

yes,in this diagram there are two extra relays but i didn't use them,i even don't know what relay are those as they are some kind of relay inverter not a normal relay 12v 30a as i'm told.
i even can't control the mirror glass motor....
have a nice time

I'm just waiting for another sunny day so I can go back and do another little mod with the 361 and something else I have planned with the mirrors :ninja:

what have you planned?:idea:

however,we have to investigate further to get the mirrors' motors work as before...

OK so i have an update... yesterday as the weather was nice i had a few hours to work on the car.

I started by investigating why my mirror glass motors were no longer working and how to get the mirror switch working. after talking it through with Scott we worked out the having the folding mirrors plugged into both the door modules and the folding mirror relay was confusing the system.
So i disconnected the pins from the mirror plug for the folding mirrors (door module side) and left them connected to the relay, then coded the door modules without the folding option and the mirror glass motor started working again.

It would seem that the mirror fold switch that comes on our door cards is more complicated as there is not an actual wire that it sends the folding signal down, instead it somehow sends the signal down the up, down, left, right signal cables so the only way to get a manual switch working here would be to wire in a new on/off switch for the mirrors which i have an idea for.

so now that i have the glass working as it should and still have folding mirrors on lock it looks like i have almost completed this install... though there are a couple more things that i have lined up for it so i will update this thread as it happens

Good work bro, will be giving you a shout when I get some new mirrors sorted. Had to leave that set the other day unfortunately :(

Good work bro, will be giving you a shout when I get some new mirrors sorted. Had to leave that set the other day unfortunately :(
aww thats a shame.. he still has them!

i need to find some new mirrors, this is somting i would defo want to install after cruies controll.

well let me know when and il install it all for you, would be a good excuse to come see you bro and see that lovely car of yours. and i could use the excuse to come and see my sister, only lives an hour or so away from you. oh and i sent you a bbm!

OK so i have an update... yesterday as the weather was nice i had a few hours to work on the car.

I started by investigating why my mirror glass motors were no longer working and how to get the mirror switch working. after talking it through with Scott we worked out the having the folding mirrors plugged into both the door modules and the folding mirror relay was confusing the system.
So i disconnected the pins from the mirror plug for the folding mirrors (door module side) and left them connected to the relay, then coded the door modules without the folding option and the mirror glass motor started working again.

It would seem that the mirror fold switch that comes on our door cards is more complicated as there is not an actual wire that it sends the folding signal down, instead it somehow sends the signal down the up, down, left, right signal cables so the only way to get a manual switch working here would be to wire in a new on/off switch for the mirrors which i have an idea for.

so now that i have the glass working as it should and still have folding mirrors on lock it looks like i have almost completed this install... though there are a couple more things that i have lined up for it so i will update this thread as it happens

please keep us informed...
many thankx for your hard work,mate!!!!!!!!!!

Errr...... nevermind lol!

Last edited:
Lol!! That's what happens when you have to many tabs open and browse ASN when u can't sleep! :huh:

hi i hope some1 can help ive fitted 2011 wing mirros non folding with door modules 2011 and door panels new chrome switches 2011, everything is working apart from the front passenger and drivers door do not lock or unlock? did i need to code the door modules when i changed them??

i have a 2007 a3 5dr sportback

thanks

Unless you also used the 2011 door card looms aswell, you'd have to repin your existing looms to make the systems on the doors work fully, they're not plugnplay on 08 onwards door modules.

Thanks that make sense can you tell me the pin configuration for re pining the loom

Thanks that make sense can you tell me the pin configuration for re pining the loom

i used the wiring diagrams from ELSA to do mine, took a long time too! not for the faint hearted and very involved. dont have it written down and takes wayyy too long to make any sense of.
If you want to do it i would say either get someone else to do it for you (like me or Nigel) or simply put... good luck!

Is possible to get the mirrors with folding if car has no folding option.
But add the relay to fold them when car is locked without getting new door modules?

Ash man... You gotta stuff changing your profile... Ha. Get confused everytime you do!!! :yahoo:

I didn't even realise that he changed it:think: .....I didn't even know that was allowed on ASN. Unless your a moderator of course.

lol he is talking about the sig and the pics :p
yh i got bored again and changed... this time i even changed the username!

yh digzz you can change this all in the settings part at the top of the page

Hi Ash. I spent most the afternoon trying this out but had No luck, I've had the chrome S3 mirrors on for a few years but thought I would wire them up now its time to sell. Did everything step by step. I noticed that behind the yellow 13 wire, where it plugs into, there is no connection? I tried touching the wire to the pins on the top row as the bottom control the mirrors directional movement. Another note I did the passenger side incase this makes a diffrence. Thanks

Screen shot 2014 07 29 at 224156 2.0 TFSI 225Bhp Standard DSG.

5fb570d3.jpg

I'm a bit lost as to what you mean? Are you saying that you don't have a yellow wire in pin 13? Or that there isn't a wire on the other connector that the mirror plugs into?
And the passenger side... Did that work or not?

There is a wire in yellow 13 but the module with the pins has no pin to accommodate the yellow 13 wire. There is for the 2 wires next to the 13 but that one in the passenger side is not present?
I have yet to look at the driver side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
Right that means you have a pre-facelift car and you have fitted the facelift mirrors without fitting the facelift door modules.

You have 2 options here... get the facelift door modules and totally rewire the door and central locking connectors as the pin layouts are different or splice into pin 13 and connect it to the positive wire in the wing indicator.

I thoughts that what you did as you didn't buy the modules if I remember correctly or is your car Newer so it has the pin in the old module?
So your saying go direct from inside the headlight to the wing indicator wire instead of how you have from the plug. Thanks again.

when i first connected the mirror i ran a wire from the wing indicator to the mirrors pin 13. i then later added folding mirrors and changed the door modules and fully rewired the door.

im not sure where you got the headlight from? you just need to run a wire from pin 13 of the mirror to the positive wire in the wing indicator.

My bad, I ment to say mirror lol, yes thats what Im trying to do but its not working. so you use one wire from the wing direct to 13? This is what i have been trying to do. What happens to the other wing wire, is it taped up or earthed. Ill go have a play again now.

so the wing indicator should still have a bulb in it otherwise it will through up an error on the dash. The positive wire on the wing indicator cannot be cut... it needs to be spliced into otherwise again the error will come up on dash and the car will stop supplying any power to the indicator.
Make sure you have the mirror wire connected to the positive wire not the negative one and also the negative wire stays in place to power up the bulb in the wing... remember that it still needs to have that circuit in place otherwise there will be no power or signal to power up the mirror indicator.

Ok, I will try with the bulb in, I am using resistors for the load reduction to stop errors but will leave the bulbs in or some of those fake ones you can buy for projects as such, thanks. Will take a look now.

Worked with bulb in as you said, wasn't the brightest but sure the resistor will sort that out. Thanks again.

Ash....

So the inital wiring you stated on page 1 will work with the 361 relay and the facelift door harness... Or is that all irrelevant since you stated you had to rewire the plugs for the new door modules!?

My mind is boggled with this thread haha....

I'm gona have to source new modules, bought the mirrors.. Checked vcds and i've got the K's.. Damn it...

Cheers dude... Top work regardless of my confusion! :)

Ash....

So the inital wiring you stated on page 1 will work with the 361 relay and the facelift door harness... Or is that all irrelevant since you stated you had to rewire the plugs for the new door modules!?

My mind is boggled with this thread haha....

I'm gona have to source new modules, bought the mirrors.. Checked vcds and i've got the K's.. Damn it...

Cheers dude... Top work regardless of my confusion! :)

i didn't understand the question mate since its been quite a while since i did this.

in my car i have folding mirrors working to fold on lock without any need of special door modules.
I am actually working on a way to get the mirrors to work on the factory folding switch with door modules as well as the custom folding on lock.

i didn't understand the question mate since its been quite a while since i did this.

in my car i have folding mirrors working to fold on lock without any need of special door modules.
I am actually working on a way to get the mirrors to work on the factory folding switch with door modules as well as the custom folding on lock.

Hey mate.. Through the thread you said you had to rewire the mirrors to work with the 361 relay...

Since I need to get a hold of folding modules anyway I thought i'd the relay a bash and see if I can get it to work...

The only thing I dont under stand is where does the relay actually hook up into!?