facelift chrome climate control switch

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi guys,

i am trying to find a thread that was posted here a while ago about swapping just the switches on the prefacelift climate unit to the chrome switches from the facelift version... not the complete unit.

i have just spent over half hour looking but i cant seem to find it... can anyone point me in the right direction for this thread?

i want to check whats involved in it and see if its worth doing it.

I thought about doing this recently but decided that buying a whole unit just to junk it was a too much for me. I'm pretty sure one of the other posters on here with a white S3 stripped his AC unit to carbon wrap the front so he'll know exactly how to take it apart and put it back together. I remember seeing the pics of the unit stripped down and that's what started me thinking about doing it.

well i also found this so hopefully i can make some sense of it...

Google Translate

i have just upgraded the headlight switch and have the vents and gear stick on its way so the climate unit and then window
switches are on the list to complete project chrome!

Did you change the whole light switch unit or just the switch itself? That's another one I've thought about doing but I only have the 3 stage switch and I think all the chrome ones are 4 stage so again I'd just be buying to rip the knob off (ooerr).

no i did the whole switch but thats as i have retro-fitted the car from standard poverty halogen lights to bi-xenon headlights with auto function and drls :)

basically from this

$%28KGrHqN,%21hcE5pnqSp4IBOh0n%29BF%21g%7E%7E60_12.JPG

to this:
6e60673a.jpg

I too wondered if its possible just the remove the centre part of the headlight switch but cant see how it comes apart.

The new switches setting you back much "Itwasntme"? I'd love the new light switch (exactly the same as your new one) and the window switches.

The rotating part of the light switch on the old style light switch just pulls right off so i'd imagine the new style chrome one is exactly the same and should fit as long as the diameter is the same.

the light switch cost £64 from Dave @Stoke Audi.

i have found a whole load of info on the climate switch but from what i can understand i would need to get the chrome part from a facelift climate unit... thought i would be able to buy them on their own and then fit them in :(

Google Translate

So did anyone come to the conclusion if you can actually just change the switches on the climate control unit without changing the face plate? On the pre-facelift unit you can just pull off the front of the switch - so I don't know if the new chrome facias would just click back on?

I know that the new chrome headlight switch does fit on the pre-facelift car as long as you have the same functions, as in Auto etc.

And lastly - check this out:

DSCN0542.jpg

Notice that this single din unit (from a US car) has chrome switches? I'm not planning to upgrade to RNSE yet, so these could help spruce up the interior a bit - cos I hate the stubby black ones we have. Anyone know the part number for these and if we could get them here?

Cheers,
Chris

So did anyone come to the conclusion if you can actually just change the switches on the climate control unit without changing the face plate? On the pre-facelift unit you can just pull off the front of the switch - so I don't know if the new chrome fascias would just click back on?

I know that the new chrome headlight switch does fit on the pre-facelift car as long as you have the same functions, as in Auto etc.

Cheers,
Chris

no its not as easy as that.

here is a guide sent to me by the German dude that did the retrofit for the switches, he speaks of pictures which can be seen here:

183050-735-551 : Drehregler am Klimabedienteil gegen FL tauschen : Audi A3 8P & 8PA : #203359946

and his blog here:
Google Translate

OK...i want to try to explain some things.

it is not possible to change the new facelift-climate panel in an pre facelift a3.
Audi has changed the electronic system to control the air flaps.

so you can only use the "old" climate panel.
but you can change the switches.

its not possible to buy one by one of the switches.

so i had a look on ebay and i found a used facelift climate panel without seat heating (this is very cheap...45€).

in my blog you can see some pictures from the procedure to change the switches!

at first you disassemble both control panels.
at the back side you have some little screws.

take them out and open carefully the clips on the outer side.

now you have 2 parts.
on the part with the display you see some screws on the board...screw them out!
now open the little locker from the seat heating wheel.

at this point it is possible to demount the board from the front panel.

if you have a look on the backside you see 4 clips from the climate switch...open them carefully and you can take it out!

now you should have an "dremel" or something...i hope you know it
wink.gif

on my pictures you can see the area before and after the operation.
there are some plastics in this area...you dont need this for the facelift switches.
so you can take them out.
it is important to have a very well finish in this area!

at the end you must have an even area!
at last you can take a little bit of grease and put it on this area.

now you can start to mount the panel.
the steps are the same, but you build in the new facelift switches.

i think you need 45-60minutes for all steps.

and after this operation you have an individual control panel with an awesome look
wink.gif

Yup that's a great help. Will look out for a facelift climate unit on eBay then and (possibly) attempt it myself.

Anyone know about the radio round switches?

Ash, was that a straight forward job? i also want to have the drl light switch, iv got the leds in but not the switch

Ash, was that a straight forward job? i also want to have the drl light switch, iv got the leds in but not the switch
the light switch? easy to swap but need to rewire in the DRL switch.
also if you had manual headlight adjusters then you need to disconnect these.

the climate console? not done it yet mate... just put up my research but will be doing this mod very soon.

so ive searched and searched and cant find an answer- i have a 2008 and was looking into updating to the chrome switches. On ebay there are units for $200usd that are used. I have read that if you have a 2007 you cannot swap the unit over, however, would i be able to directly swap the unit into my 2008 S Line?

well i also found this so hopefully i can make some sense of it...

Google Translate

i have just upgraded the headlight switch and have the vents and gear stick on its way so the climate unit and then window
switches are on the list to complete project chrome!

ash- i tried to remove my headlight switch by pushing it in, turning and pulling but it does not seem to grip enough for me to pull. It sounds like a clip may be broken. Do you know how i can remove the headlight switch by going through the fusebox?

There are 3 8mm bolts holding the panel onto the underneath of the steering wheel. On you can see on the side by the fuse box, the other 2 are under the panel above the pedals (on each side) remove these and then pull the panel away from the can and the light switch can then be removed. There are 2 small notches holding in the switch to the panel so press these in and it will pop out.

Reactions: Kevin A3 Quattro
Hi Mike x. Just search for audi radio knobs on ebay and you will find concert volume knob in chrome for £18.99 oem one,s I think...I can only find the volume knob only:meeting:

There are 3 8mm bolts holding the panel onto the underneath of the steering wheel. On you can see on the side by the fuse box, the other 2 are under the panel above the pedals (on each side) remove these and then pull the panel away from the can and the light switch can then be removed. There are 2 small notches holding in the switch to the panel so press these in and it will pop out.

thanks for the info- ordered a facelifted switch- also was able to update my climate control with the TT version- thanks! Need to update my shifter

15321192361_d950f5d813_n.jpg