Facelift A3 (51 Plate) Quick Question

recomdos

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi all,

Just a quick question as to where the diagnostic port is on the facelift model - I would imagine it is just beneath the ash tray like my pre facelift. Just wanted to double check as a friend wants me to go look at a 5 Door A3 tomorrow for test drive.

We went to see it tonight briefly. The garage owner reckons it's pumping out 220bhp (from an A3 1.8T) I asked if that was from a chip only - he said standard :whistle2:...to this I was a bit amused. Not wanting to be rude I stated that it was unlikely without some heavy mods. He then said no no, it is - it says in the book. Maybe it's because it's a 5 door variant it gathers that extra bhp :blush:

Asides from that ********, I have an iffy feeling about the car and advised my mate to walk away - he's still keen. The car is rockin 128k, it's been lowered - probs around 40mm, it's defo had paintwork, inside are a few worn areas - to be expected through age to and extent I guess. It also has sline badges on the side trim to the rear quater arches, and the owner kept recalling to it at the sline A3 - :banghead:

Anyway, we shall see what the test drive is like tomorrow, at £4k I'll be having some stern words with my friend. I just need to know exactly where the vagcom port is - maybe I have to peel back some trim under the ashtray to get to it? The guy was pretty shocked when I mentioned all this and then asked..."can you chip them" :blush: If I'd said yes I get the impression his next set of questions would have been a bit more dodgy!

Whoops - maybe not so such a short question! Well as we know that's often my style - a bit of waffle!

Cheers all
Rob :)

Standard A3, 220 bhp...no. 150 standard. 220bhp on a K03 turbo with no other mods is pushing it in my opinion, I'm sure someone will disagree though.

Diagnostic port is on the drivers side, underside dash to the right and below the steering wheel.

4k is a bit much for a dubious seller. I'd go over it with a very fine comb!

With 128K check well for worn bushes, diff noise, smoke from a dying turbo. Also check for rust at the bottom of the doors and across the rails

Standard A3, 220 bhp...no. 150 standard. 220bhp on a K03 turbo with no other mods is pushing it in my opinion, I'm sure someone will disagree though.

Roger - I know that also - I don't expect 2nd hand car sales men to know EVERYTHING, but to make up a lie: "we just found out today that it's producing 220bhp..." just a complete sales lie to impress two young pups (I like to refer to myself as young still there) lol

Diagnostic port is on the drivers side, underside dash to the right and below the steering wheel.

Super duper - thanks for that!

Yep - I also agree. I told my mate he'd be best off checking the history, as they were sketchy about it when we asked - my mate is lazy, and doesn't like the hassle - but he asked for my advice and that's what I'd do.

With 128K check well for worn bushes, diff noise, smoke from a dying turbo. Also check for rust at the bottom of the doors and across the rails

Yeppers. It's been lowered, not sure what springs - defo lower than mine - probs 40mm. I'm expecting a rough ride in a souped up space machine that will put my remaped A3 to shame... well he might be correct - it may very well be 22obhp with such turbo conversion but as stock I very much doubt it.

Cheers
Rob

Really gets my goat when sellers blatently lie, and the fact it's a garage just makes it worse. Maybe "the book" is a S3 manual with a A3 cover!:whistle2:

Will never be able to get 220bhp out of a K03

with a K03s and other mods, then 220bhp will be possible, no problem

Check for the service book and what type of service has been carried out :)

its bin lowered and hes quoting dodgy figures..... sounds like the salesmans been 'sold' the swapper to me by the previous owner

unless hes incredibly stupid........

u wont get a dying turbo unless its been ragged my mate has one with 180k with a mint turbo ..

Very true, that's why I say you need to check. I've seen a turbo go at 80K because the guy hammered it from cold and give it time to slow before shutting down, but then I met a taxi driver with a Skoda Octavia tdi with 400K...still on the original turbo, mad!