"Facebook email"

geo_nr1

Reaction score
Any help on this would be great!

I do not have an account with Facebook and tonight I receive an invite to join fb from a random person. The strange thing is that further down the email it said "other users you may know."

Now if this email is real how do they know that I actually know 4 of the 5 people they have suggested? Also if it's fake, how do they know that I know them? I can understand if I had some sort of virus on my pc but I know that I don't.

The other strange thing is that I know one of the suggested friends but have never had any form of dealings with this person...well atleast not on my current pc. Any thoughts how they have linked them to me?

Are they mutual friends? Maybe with the person that invited you? Any one of the four or five may have shared their own email mailbox thus giving facebook a record of your email address.
So yes it could be that facebook builds a profile of your name and email address and any links to those who have shared email access.

don't click it if you are worried, the suggestions if genuine will also show up in FB

I have had several spam messages from sites pretending to be FB so be careful

Thanks guys.

The main thing was that I am not on Facebook and received the e-mail with suggested people that I know.

They are all random people that I know (but they do not know each other)

I've had similar, turns out I did know one of the people on the list and they had a virus on their PC which basically went through their email list and mailed out the hoax facebook message in an effort to spread the virus - if in doubt delete it.

Lots of this stuff going about, I keep getting dodgy emails from people I know on Hotmail, but it's usually sent to a group of people, so I know it's spam.

It happens when your friends authorise facebook to use the contacts from their hotmail to add on facebook. It may be legit but if your not interested in facebook then just ignore it. If you decide to go on facebook.. add me! And ahaa joe, are you on facebook. Be my friend please, i want to be cool :)