Facelift Face lift S3 - Exhaust sound

RobA

Reaction score
I have ordered a new S3 Sportback, and will be coming from an A6 BiTurbo with a sound booster mod plus re map (pushing circa 365 bhp), so I am hoping I will not be disappointed with the new pocket rocket!!
On the A6 I had an exhaust software mod to the A6's exhaust booster/attenuators system so it sounds like a V8, its awesome.
Does the S3 have a booster system, and if so does any one know of a software mod to boost the exhaust sound. This is a cheaper option than a new miltek etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
Following this thread.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Have a listen..

sent from my awesome Samsung S7

Have a listen..

Lol! Literally just watched that. Surprised at how much I want new S3. VC, 7 gears, exhaust..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The S3 has some device (I'm not technically minded so can't say what) but it gives an artificial sound making it sound meaty with the pops etc. The RS3 Is totally natural sound from the 5 pot engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The S3 has both a soundaktor for the inside and also drops some petrol into the exhaust system to give the farts on the up shifts I believe.

The S3 has both a soundaktor for the inside and also drops some petrol into the exhaust system to give the farts on the up shifts I believe.

I knew someone would have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Could you give me some info about the exhaust sound on the new facelift S3 saloon.

I keep hearing that the exhaust pops and farts but does this only happen in dynamic mode?

How quiet is the exhaust in comfort mode? Is it comparable with a 'normal' A3?

Thanks

Dynamic opens the flaps so I'd say yes. Sport gearbox sounds better too as you get that "whump" on gear change.

TX.

Dynamic opens the flaps so I'd say yes. Sport gearbox sounds better too as you get that "whump" on gear change.

TX.
"Whump" ? You mean in dynamic the new seven speed gearbox has the ability to increase shift aggressiveness? I like that about the M4 DCT but did not now the S3 could do it now!

Hi guys,

Could you give me some info about the exhaust sound on the new facelift S3 saloon.

I keep hearing that the exhaust pops and farts but does this only happen in dynamic mode?

How quiet is the exhaust in comfort mode? Is it comparable with a 'normal' A3?

Thanks

The valves are open at higher revs in dynamic, but I've just fitted a remote valve control kit so I now control them off a button. I have done this because even in dynamic, the valves are open at idle but then shut until 3000rpm, so I can have it louder all the time now. In comfort, the valves are closed all the time I believe or if not open at very high revs.

The farts are rare in 1st, but happen in every gear above that at high revs.. it's great and it loud in an underpass. I can't comment whether these only happen in dynamic, because I haven't yet driven the car in comfort.. ;)

I can confirm they pop, A LOT! It's great fun! It isn't anything like the RS3, which I'm pretty sure will wake the dead.. but they make you smile a lot. They can be heard a lot on the inside and with the windows down at lower speeds. The pops happen when downchanging to any rev range between 2500 and 4000rpm, so I have figured. Unlike the RS, they also pop on the overrun every time you back off above 2500rpm, it's brilliant. Mine is popping more the more miles it gets on the clock.
But what I've noticed is because they are artificial, the car doesn't pop for the first few changes. It's almost as if when you first try to do it, the car doesn't realise and it needs a nudge to realise you want it to make noise.. as you make them, they happen more freely.

Reactions: Gordo77, keenu and Terminator x