Face lift A3/S3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please. Stop turning up old posts. This thread was going nowhere and repeating various others that were around at the time (which was incidentally over a month ago).

Use the search function and you'll find LOTS of posts about this topic already. Or just buy a car now and live a little. There will always be another model coming - it's the lifecycle of cars.

you seem to care (and worry) a lot about next facelift ;D

Wait.. is still is too soon for news, but some little new "rumors" from Audi’s electronics head are coming in this old thread soon (in my next post).

Audi A3 to get virtual cockpit
Monday, 27 July 2015

20172234871470239909.jpg

German car-maker's all-digital instrument cluster to spread down at least one more segment
Audi's all-digital Virtual Cockpit instrument display will reach down to the facelifted A3 due next year, sources at the German luxury brand have revealed.

The Virtual Cockpit, which made its debut in the TT last year and is now a feature of the new Q7, R8 and A4, is a fully adjustable dash layout that can be customised to suit each driver.

It has been seen as a premium piece of equipment, but Audi’s electronics head, Ricky Hudi, admitted to motoring.com.au this week that it will also slide in to next year’s facelifted A3 as an option.

“In the future, there are not so many cars that will not have it integrated, even into the smaller cars.

“Next year in the facelift of the A3, we will also integrate the virtual cockpit,” he confirmed.

While the take-up rate for the digital system, which is optional in all but the R8, is expected to be lower in the A3 sedan, five-door hatch and convertible than in the Q7 or A4, Hudi said it would still be significant.

“The customer who chooses the base A3 won’t choose this option. If they choose a higher engine or a higher, well-equipped car then they will choose it. No doubt.

“The price reduces very fast with more people using it and the virtual cockpit is an Audi signature now.

“With a well-equipped A3, like the RS 3, why should this customer not be willing to pay another 400 euros for a virtual cockpit? Or a Matrix LED headlight?”

Source: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/audi/a3/audi-a3-to-get-virtual-cockpit-52766

So,
- Next year A3/S3/RS3 facelift confirmed (early? mid? late?) (I expect early).
- MIB I to MIB II Tech system upgrade confirmed (Virtual Cockpit, Car Play, Android Auto...)
- Matrix LED almost confirmed

Last edited:
Reactions: STERLING VOID
That looks smart.....and I must say its good to be aware of what is around the corner before spending 30k on a car

Wait.. is still is too soon for news, but some little new "rumors" from Audi’s electronics head are coming in this old thread soon (in my next post).

The Virtual Cockpit is a matter of FACT that all models in the Audi line up will have this....woopy doo,if any you guys are waiting on a facelifted S3?or new Audi A3/S3. YOU have a long wait and will pay through the nose for the next one,with "Virtually"...lol, no discount,my advice buy or rent an A3/S3 just now, then change to the newer model in 2-3 years time.

Reactions: Minion Bob!, gamegenie, Rob2k68 and 2 others
The Virtual Cockpit is a matter of FACT that all models in the Audi line up will have this....woopy doo,if any you guys are waiting on a facelifted S3?or new Audi A3/S3. YOU have a long wait and will pay through the nose for the next one,with "Virtually"...lol, no discount,my advice buy or rent an A3/S3 just now, then change to the newer model in 2-3 years time.

I'm only looking to change either next year around summer time or wait for the facelift if it's due maybe end of next year

I'm only looking to change either next year around summer time or wait for the facelift if it's due maybe end of next year
Fair enough but Audi's cycle times for all new models are between 5/6 years so, 2017 A3? 2018 S3?

Facelifts tend to minor, but Audi are behind on standard trim, they should have rear parking sensors and sat nav for say s line and s .
Let's see , but as usual the reality will be if these are included you will end up paying for them at the early stage of facelift in reduced discounting

Yeah, I'll be placing an S3 order in October for a January delivery. This wouldn't put me off at all, you'd never get a new car if you played the waiting game, scared to commit in case something newer arrives.

Buy now and then change when the new A3 comes out in 2019 or wherever.

Reactions: naughts4187
If you want Jan delivery you may need to order now !
The seem to take five to six months at the moment...

My five year warranty runs out mid Dec , and that is why I ordered begining of Jan. AGW , I will get delivery around the righty time , if not early Jan...

Personally I don't like the Audi Sat/Nav set-up anyway as I cannot add my own POIs to the system. So if they do offer the Audi Virtual Cockpit to a face lifted model I will not be interesting is paying the option price for it, so the timing of an update is not really that relevant to me.

Having had a new TT S-Line for a courtesy car recently, I must say the fancy tft dash really was quite special.

Oh please. Stop turning up old posts. This thread was going nowhere and repeating various others that were around at the time (which was incidentally over a month ago).

Use the search function and you'll find LOTS of posts about this topic already. Or just buy a car now and live a little. There will always be another model coming - it's the lifecycle of cars.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'turning up old posts' as I didn't create this thread, I'm just browsing through :) And to negate your next point - actually I've gained a lot of useful information from this post, (from the bits inbetween your irrelevant and incessant whining of course). As I said before, if you have nothing useful to add, which from the looks of it so far you don't, spam elsewhere.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'turning up old posts' as I didn't create this thread, I'm just browsing through :) And to negate your next point - actually I've gained a lot of useful information from this post, (from the bits inbetween your irrelevant and incessant whining of course). As I said before, if you have nothing useful to add, which from the looks of it so far you don't, spam elsewhere.

That's the forum spirit 4K!! You could have made better use of your time searching the forum for relevant topics which incidentally cover the exact same topic or getting to know the people on here. We are a little community and we are all here for various reasons. Instead you've dedicated time to me, which naturally I'm rather flattered about, however you're very much mistaken if you believe that using a vocabulary one would usually find on Q.I deems you in any higher regard to anyone else on this forum.

Luckily for me between the 'irrelevant and incessant whining'.... Of my mrs... I'm able to productively spend my time providing you with totally irrelevant banter for the foreseeable future.

On a side note - I too echo the sentiment of various others above that the facelift is a long long wait away and considering the facelift 8V will be technically very similar it's not even worth worrying about. Just enjoy an already great car.

Oh and 4K... I'm here all week. You're welcome.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Having had a new TT S-Line for a courtesy car recently, I must say the fancy tft dash really was quite special.
What is it like for the passenger Don? I'm always nosy and want to control music etc! Is it all driver focused?

Facelifts tend to minor, but Audi are behind on standard trim, they should have rear parking sensors and sat nav for say s line and s .
Let's see , but as usual the reality will be if these are included you will end up paying for them at the early stage of facelift in reduced discounting

Never going to happen unless on run out models - take the A5 now, they are still churning that old tech out with everything included for its final hurrah! I launched that model in 2007 when I worked for Audi - it's only had a facelift since then!

An alternative if you want all that kit now...... a golf. But we all know what everyone thinks of that :)

Can't really say to be fair. But I guess it'll be slightly harder for them to see given the diff in distance.

The new A4 video on Autoexpress YouTube channel shows the digital dash plus centre screen - so perhaps this is the way forward?

When they first did this (virtual/digital instrument cluster) with the new TT, I thought Audi was being cheap by not also giving the TT the traditional MMI.

But with the new A4 having both, maybe Audi has realized they have been coming off cheap compared to competitor car manufactures loading up all the tech goods to their cars and now Audi is having to play catchup.

And to think the current A3 was suppose to have the same instrument cluster as the A6, A7, and A8 as they showed it off in Concept form, but instead we got the cheap Gameboy screen size dash LCD.

Ey! is not like a 1999 Gameboy screen, It has a little more length, and in color!

1466897.1109.jpg

Gameboy.jpg

And yes, this is a nice dash. Semi-virtual cockpit:

1468700.1109.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: naughts4187, Rob2k68, qt25 and 1 other person
Ey! is not like a 1999 Gameboy screen, It has a little more length, and in color!

1466897.1109.jpg

Gameboy.jpg

And yes, this is a nice dash. Semi-virtual cockpit:

1468700.1109.jpg

The Gameboy was in color by 1998, the GameBoy Color

The photo you pictured is the original 1989 device. Tech that was way ahead of anything else at the time.

So yes Audi stuck us with the Gameboy screen instead of the Semi-Virtual Cockpit.

The A3 Concept car had it as well as the A3 e-Tron Concept car.

That's the forum spirit 4K!! You could have made better use of your time searching the forum for relevant topics which incidentally cover the exact same topic or getting to know the people on here. We are a little community and we are all here for various reasons. Instead you've dedicated time to me, which naturally I'm rather flattered about, however you're very much mistaken if you believe that using a vocabulary one would usually find on Q.I deems you in any higher regard to anyone else on this forum.

Luckily for me between the 'irrelevant and incessant whining'.... Of my mrs... I'm able to productively spend my time providing you with totally irrelevant banter for the foreseeable future.

On a side note - I too echo the sentiment of various others above that the facelift is a long long wait away and considering the facelift 8V will be technically very similar it's not even worth worrying about. Just enjoy an already great car.

Oh and 4K... I'm here all week. You're welcome.
You seemed to have missed the point quite a bit, and rather than addressing my question, gone into what I can only read as quite a passive-aggressive rant. So, to re-iterate, this WAS (caps since you didn't get it the first time), highly productive use of my time since I've found a lot of useful information just from this thread.

As for dedicating time to you, please don't think so highly of yourself, I was merely re-iterating someone else's comment that this is useful information and that your original post adds nothing. I've had plenty of time to browse other posts which have helped dearly :) Clearly YOU are the one not making productive use of your time since you 'are here all week', as you so aptly put it, and only seem to want to argue on a topic which you know very little about. Is there something we need to know?

Thanks for the compliment though, haven't watched Q.I. too much but hear they are a highly intelligent bunch ;)

P.S. I like the way your language and prose has changed since your first post to accomodate mine. I am out of office most of the day tomorrow, feel free to have a little more time to reply with something wittier.

I quite agree sir.

VW just announced Next Generation Car-Net and Modular Infotainment Platform (MIB II) that is becoming available to all 2016 models (landing in dealer showrooms during next month)

This includes support for Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, MirrorLink

58553900955b90d82d326a.jpg

http://media.vw.com/release/1032/

VW Car-Net have nice features: Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Remote vehicle access, remote door lock and unlock, remote honk and flash (of lights), last parked location information, and remote status check (doors and windows)

This is interesting because new A3 with MIB II could (will) have this too: Audi Connect Services Gen2.

L12okAR.png

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Look at how much the current A4 design changed from the previous. Very minimal exterior changes. The grill will most likely be a little more angular, but I really don't like the design direction Audi is taking and am very happy with my current.

However, I would love to have the updated MIB-II (tho I already have android in the car) and that very beautiful digital speedo cluster. BUT the last A6 loaner I had, the speedo area was VERY busy - things moving everywhere, and for no real reason. Yes it will be nice, but we'll see if its really a distraction or much needed info addition (info overload maybe?)

The new one will probably come with full LED headlights and different daytime running lights. The S3 is due to more economical but still the same power

The new one will probably come with full LED headlights and different daytime running lights. The S3 is due to more economical but still the same power
The base model (SE) doesn't even come with xenons! I'd be amazed if they rolled out LEDs across the range even on mid-life facelift.

Reactions: Jassyo06
According to this week's Auto Express the will be a face-lift for the Mk7 Golf in late 2016 and an all new Mk8 scheduled to arrive in 2019. I wonder how this will relate to any face-lift and new model for the A3.

According to this week's Auto Express the will be a face-lift for the Mk7 Golf in late 2016 and an all new Mk8 scheduled to arrive in 2019. I wonder how this will relate to any face-lift and new model for the A3.

Golf was updated from MIB I to MIB II (carplay, android auto, mirror link support), in May. It sounds logical facelift mid-cycle for the end of next year and new for 2019, It will remain modern all this time.

A3 wasn't updated from MIB I to MIB II in May, It is already outdated in that subject. I think FL will come sooner, early 2016.

New model 2019/2020 for both should be ok.

Golf was updated from MIB I to MIB II (carplay, android auto, mirror link support), in May. It sounds logical facelift mid-cycle for the end of next year and new for 2019, It will remain modern all this time.

A3 wasn't updated from MIB I to MIB II in May, It is already outdated in that subject. I think FL will come sooner, early 2016.

New model 2019/2020 for both should be ok.

Yeah I'm guessing that they will release the A3 facelift early 2016.

Yeah I'm guessing that they will release the A3 facelift early 2016.

No they wont,if there is going to be a "Revised" A3/S3.......because in my opinion, Audi dont do Facelifted cars like Ford VX....etc Just revised models or whole new models,it will firstly be revealed at the Geneva Motorshow in March 2016,then the revised A3/S3 Models will filter through come October.

they aren't facelifting the golf mk7 until 2019, so i think a while yet... imo

they aren't facelifting the golf mk7 until 2019, so i think a while yet... imo
Not according to the article I read today. VW are doing a face-lift in late 2016 and the Mk8 new model in 2019.

Not according to the article I read today. VW are doing a face-lift in late 2016 and the Mk8 new model in 2019.

Yeah I read that too! Looks like Audi will follow with an A3/S3 facelift.

Just had an email from the dealer saying my September car will be a facelift model.

Just had an email from the dealer saying my September car will be a facelift model.

When did you order it mate? Also what if you want to add any additional options once the details are released?

Ordered just over a week ago.
My understanding is that any price increases will not affect my order should I keep it as is.
Not sure what any changes will do however! Will ask

Ordered just over a week ago.
My understanding is that any price increases will not affect my order should I keep it as is.
Not sure what any changes will do however! Will ask

You will incur the price increase obviously when they get all the details for the improved product car,this will no doubt be relayed to you once the dealer receives them

No I have it in writing that I won't pay any more than my initial order price.

Reactions: Gazjs
Status
Not open for further replies.