Face lift A3/S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVP20

Reaction score
Does anyone know when they will release the facelift on the current 8V? What would you expect to be different from the current A3/S3?

There's a 2016 MY info/rumour thread - has some good info there. Think the consensus was no facelift expected until 2017.

That thread is related to MY16 update (week 22, already changed), not directly to facelift.

Some rumours for A3 8V Facelift (A3/S3/RS3):

Expected date: Early 2016

All models new options:
- MIB-II Upgrade for Infotainment with Car Play and Android Auto support
- MIB-II Upgrade with Virtual Cockpit
- Matrix Led Lights
- Dynamic indicators

RS3 new options:
- Ceramic Brakes
- Bucket Seats

There are posts that refer to facelift in that thread, in addition to MY16 details.

(Including some of your posts!)

Last edited:
Yes, there is a remix :D

I think real news about A3 facelift will start after Frankfurt Motor Show, with new A4 debut, in september.

A3 Sportback g-tron (version) Late 2015
A4 (new gen) Late 2015

A3 (facelift) Early 2016
SQ7 (version) Early 2016

Q1 (new model) Spring 2016
Q5 (facelift) Spring 2016
Q7 e-tron (version) Spring 2016

A5 (new gen) Mid 2016
A8 (new gen) Late 2016

A9 (new model) 2017
Q6 (new model) 2018
Q8 (new model) 2019

So bored of this thread already. Enjoy what you have. There's always going to be a newer car around at some point.

Reactions: Kings999 and sunscreemer
So bored of this thread already. Enjoy what you have. There's always going to be a newer car around at some point.

So boring for those who already have a current, as so interesting for those who do not already have bought.
Is too much money to not be aware of the production cycles and then be able to buy at the best time.

Reactions: Daz Auto
So boring for those who already have a current, as so interesting for those who do not already have bought.
Is too much money to not be aware of the production cycles and then be able to buy at the best time.

I couldn't agree more......if I'm looking to but my 1st S3 I want to be aware of what's around the corner. Knowing my luck I'd place an order and find out the next day that the facelift is coming.

Let's hope they sort out the poor adjustment on the steering wheel and sort out the seats. Be nice to see alcantara available for the super sports seats... they'll do it with the TTS, so why no the S3. Grr.

Reactions: batch
Does anybody know what "early" 2016 equates to, ie which month?

I've got an S3 on order for Sept delivery and to be honest I'll be pretty miffed if facelifts appear jan!! I know the discounts are good and APR % are pretty low at 5.5% (for Audi) to keep me in this order but tempted to hold out if not too far around the corner.

Does anybody know what "early" 2016 equates to, ie which month?

I've got an S3 on order for Sept delivery and to be honest I'll be pretty miffed if facelifts appear jan!! I know the discounts are good and APR % are pretty low at 5.5% (for Audi) to keep me in this order but tempted to hold out if not too far around the corner.

I'm hoping that a facelift is out early jan.
How do Audi usually do it? Are facelifts out 4 yrs later or longer?

I very much doubt it'll be 2016, otherwise the motoring press would have been full of it by now...

In September 2010 I ordered a brand new Mk6 Golf GTD. In June 2011 - nine months later - I took delivery of my new baby! It was the 'new Golf' until the September 2012 Paris Motor Show. Then my 'new Golf' became the old Golf. After just over 1 year of ownership I had an old Golf. I was not best pleased.

Now I had read about the 5 year life cycle of the Golfs. A new or heavily revised model is released roughly every 5 years. I thought to myself that I would have my car a few years before the new model would arrive. However, VW wanted to rush the MBQ platform into production. Therefore, the MK6 Golf was replaced after just 4 years.

My current car is 4 years old. I don't want to make the mistake I did last time and end up with a car that is new for 1 year.

If VAG have changed to a 4 year cycle then the new A3/Golf will be announced at the end of 2016 for sale early 2017. That is what I am expecting.

There are several dates being discussed for the new A3/Golf. Ranging from 2016 to 2019. I do care when this happens because that is when I will be buying my next brand new car.

Edit to add: this is probably more of consideration when buying a Golf than an A3. As Golfs change more in appearance.

Last edited:
At the moment I thing the only people who know when a face-lift or new model will be released are Audi AG.
If you like the current model then buy one. You may not like any new version as much.

Reactions: veeeight
At the moment I thing the only people who know when a face-lift or new model will be released are Audi AG.
If you like the current model then buy one. You may not like any new version as much.
The A1 was first shown at the 2010 Paris Motor Show. The facelift was shown at the Geneva Motor Show last year for sale in 2015. About 4 1/2 years?

The new A1 has some nice changes. Especially to the lights.

Audi models normally change every 7 years. In between their is a facelift...simples!

So on that basis a new model will be 2018/19 and a facelift I'm guessing will be next year.

I would imagine the facelift will look something like the new A4 which is being launched this summer!

Audi models normally change every 7 years. In between their is a facelift...simples!

So on that basis a new model will be 2018/19 and a facelift I'm guessing will be next year.

I would imagine the facelift will look something like the new A4 which is being launched this summer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A3

From the above link...

The first gen A3 (8L) from 1996 - 2003. 7 years.

The second gen A3 (8P) from 2003 - 2012. 9 years. With an update in 2008.

So the last generation was updated after 4-5 years. If this generation follows the same pattern the next update will be 2016 - 2017.

This is only a best guess. They may decide to follow a different pattern with this generation of A3. Though it looks like the A1 used this pattern.

The new A4 will be officially launched at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show in September with delivers beginning in early 2016. There has been quite a lot on various websites and in car magazines to say that it is coming with a few spy shots of disguised verhicles. Auto Express has a feature on it in next week's edition.

If there is going to be a face-lift for the A3 it will probably first be shown at the Geneva or Paris Motor Show in 2016 with production beginning later in the year, probably at the June/July MY17 model change point.

I don't think even dealers have been told any more information yet.

New model/Facelift time is also a function of how quick you can design the changes and get the tools built to make the new parts and how quickly your competitors can do the same. if you get a new model out before your nearest rival you get a very significant sales advantage

I read an article which was referenced in a thread here but could not find it with quick search that suggested that industry average new model cycle time had reduced form something like 7 to 4 years over the last 15- 20 years as design and manufacturing technologies have improved. Simple things like computer processing speed have a significant effect on CAD design times for example.

That's very true. I have read several articles which have said the the whole Volkswagen organisation has been working on getting new models out to the market quicker than in the past and the MQB and other platforms were part of that strategy. No doubt the idea being that they can change to body and interior and even the engines, gearboxes and running gear without having to go right back to the drawing board (or CAD machine these days). May be this time, with the A3, there will not be a face-lift in 2016 but a completely new model in 2017.

Does anyone really believe that brands have some concern or delay for old-buyers having more time his "new car"?

A-Class, September 2012, just updated with new facelift, motor, technology and options, first deliveries in September 2015.

- New front end
- Redesigned tail-lights
- Integrated exhaust pipes
- Optional LED headlights

- upgraded infotainment system, 8.0in screen on higher trim levels, compatible with Apple Carplay and Mirrorlink
- new materials and a range of new interior colours and optional ambient lighting with higher trim levels

- A45 upgraded from 355bhp to 376bhp and +18lb ft lift in torque.
- Revised seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox with shorter ratios for third to seventh along with new software
- New Dynamic Plus package, with mechanical locking front differential
- Adaptive damping system (Comfort, Sport and Eco)
- 0-62mph in 4.2s (0.4sec faster than the pre-facelifted model and 0.1sec faster than RS3)
- Consumption and CO2 emissions remain the same as before (40.9mpg and 162g/km respectively)

Available to order from 3 July, with the first cars heading to customers in September.
Prices not expected to vary wildly from the current line-up.

Reactions: Daz Auto
Does anyone really believe that brands have some concern or delay for old-buyers having more time his "new car"?

A-Class, September 2012, just updated with new facelift, motor, technology and options, first deliveries in September 2015.

- New front end
- Redesigned tail-lights
- Integrated exhaust pipes
- Optional LED headlights

- upgraded infotainment system, 8.0in screen on higher trim levels, compatible with Apple Carplay and Mirrorlink
- new materials and a range of new interior colours and optional ambient lighting with higher trim levels

- A45 upgraded from 355bhp to 376bhp and +18lb ft lift in torque.
- Revised seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox with shorter ratios for third to seventh along with new software
- New Dynamic Plus package, with mechanical locking front differential
- Adaptive damping system (Comfort, Sport and Eco)
- 0-62mph in 4.2s (0.4sec faster than the pre-facelifted model and 0.1sec faster than RS3)
- Consumption and CO2 emissions remain the same as before (40.9mpg and 162g/km respectively)

Available to order from 3 July, with the first cars heading to customers in September.
Prices not expected to vary wildly from the current line-up.

Sounds like a Mercedes advert:crying:

Does anyone know if any of the basic features on the RS3 have been updated? Have they tweaked anything which may cross over to the A3/S3 facelift?

I was just wondering if the 2020 EU emissions rules would be a factor. Presumably any car manufactured in 2020 will have to meet these standards? If there was a facelift, then early next year would be a good time for it. Then in late 2019 release an 'all new' car to meet the new emission standards?

I wonder when we will start seeing cars manufactured to meet the 2020 rules?

You need to study other models in the Audi range and their launch / face lift cycle to understand this better.

September 2012 the A3 was put on sale. So 4 years is a good shout compared to the other model cycles - I'm thinking the rumour mill will be pretty strong this time next year and then an announcement late 2016.

To compare - the Q3 went on sale June 2011, facelift was announced winter 2014 and went on sale early 2015. Almost 4 years. A6 went on sale Feb 2011, facelift announced winter 2014 also with sales early 2015.

Considering the A3 is such an important model for sales, there could be an argument its facelifted earlier to keep up with competition. Total guessing game...

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight, Daz Auto and Fox5150
Nothing new at moment, until the end of the year I don't think we begin to hear new rumors, this info is very limited, it can affect end of cycle sales.

I expect facelift presentation in March 2016 at Geneva International Motor Show. Actual A3 that was presented in March 2012 in Geneva.

You need to study other models in the Audi range and their launch / face lift cycle to understand this better.

September 2012 the A3 was put on sale. So 4 years is a good shout compared to the other model cycles - I'm thinking the rumour mill will be pretty strong this time next year and then an announcement late 2016.

To compare - the Q3 went on sale June 2011, facelift was announced winter 2014 and went on sale early 2015. Almost 4 years. A6 went on sale Feb 2011, facelift announced winter 2014 also with sales early 2015.

Considering the A3 is such an important model for sales, there could be an argument its facelifted earlier to keep up with competition. Total guessing game...

Very impressive knowledge!
I'm looking to get an s3 next summer.....hoping for the facelift model

Reactions: Pulp84
l dont know and especially dont care..........thats cars for you..........When the Black Edition A3/S3 start making a appearance then its about a year/18 month later the new one makes it to the showrooms

Reactions: naughts4187
Please, shut up. If you have nothing decent to add, go away. I, and others are prospective buyers, and this information is pertinent and useful to us.

Please, shut up. If you have nothing decent to add, go away. I, and others are prospective buyers, and this information is pertinent and useful to us.
Oh please. Stop turning up old posts. This thread was going nowhere and repeating various others that were around at the time (which was incidentally over a month ago).

Use the search function and you'll find LOTS of posts about this topic already. Or just buy a car now and live a little. There will always be another model coming - it's the lifecycle of cars.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
l dont know and especially dont care..........thats cars for you..........When the Black Edition A3/S3 start making a appearance then its about a year/18 month later the new one makes it to the showrooms
But Jassy don't you worry that your new S3 may be out of date in 18 months time??! It keeps me awake night after night that I've developed a phobia of buying a car for the risk of a facelift coming

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Minion Bob!
Status
Not open for further replies.