F1 at Spa

shresh

Reaction score
Website
none
was just wondering if anyone has firsthand experience of going to the Belgian Grand Prix? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I want to go this year but havent booked yet - any advice would be welcome, particularly on good viewpoints and good photopoints. but also accommodation which is a big worry having left it so late to book.

I'm a huge fan, but have never made it to a race, so want to make the most of this!

thanks in advance

I've been twice.

It's a lovely place to go, but viewing is generally poor due to the nature of the place, all up hill and down dale, covered in tree's. Best bet is to get a seat with TV viewing or get to one of the few general admission points with TV viewing. Both times I've ended up viewing from the inside of Rivage??

Both times I stayed well away from the ciruit, first time in Brussels, second time in Cologne. Both big cities with great nights out, both about 60/90 mins from the circuit, but like nay GP, get there early!

Kev.

At%20Eau%20Rouge%20web.jpg

Us at Eau Rouge.

Kev.

Well, as you all liked the pic so much...

This is the view from Rivage, the large mass of spectators on the right is a general admission area with a TV on the opposite side of the track, not a bad spot at all, but be there by 8am..

Spa%20web.jpg

That view above was looking up, directly infront of you there is the cars coming round rivage corner at about 60mph, then a small striaght directly infront of you upto about 120mph for a left hander...

Toyota3%20web.jpg

Kimi won that year, which is nice as I suppourt McLaren, first time I went Mika won, nice...

Raikkonen%20-%20race%20winner%20web.jpg

We found this bar in Koln which sold beer in cylinder of 10 pints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having%20a%20civilised%20drink%20web.jpg

Kev.

Great pics again, and more possing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice pics Kev,

Curious, how long does it take you to get there and by what mode of transport? Thinking of doing the drive either via ferry or Eurotunnel although the latter would add about 600 miles to the trip.

Thinking of going this year, leaving on Friday, coming back on Monday. I gather its the normal GP2 and Carrera GT cup racing as support?

[ QUOTE ]
Nice pics Kev,

Curious, how long does it take you to get there and by what mode of transport? Thinking of doing the drive either via ferry or Eurotunnel although the latter would add about 600 miles to the trip.

Thinking of going this year, leaving on Friday, coming back on Monday. I gather its the normal GP2 and Carrera GT cup racing as support?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive over as I only live about 4 miles from the channel tunnel and I get discounted crossings.

From Calais the drive is about 200 miles or so, pretty good motorway there too (no tolls). The advatage of eurotunnel over ferry is speed, drive on at Folkestone, 35 mins later drive straight onto the French motorway.

I'm not sure on what your ferry options from Newcastle are though? Last time I went to Newcastle I flew - nice place BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This year I was due to go to the French GP, I had it all sorted, then Bernie Ecclestone played his, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off game so we all canceled out accomodation and crossing, only for it to be saved and be on..

I'll be organosing a trip to the French GP next year as I think it's a better viewing circuit, and it's only 5 hours the other side of the channel driving.

This year I had a 4 bed house lined up in a small village, river side, 10 miles from the circuit. The place had mountain bikes for our use, so the idea was turn up Friday, BBQ in the evening, cycle to the track sat and sun and drive back Monday, all interspersed with BBQ's and beer. Bikes easily beat any traffic out of and into a GP.

Perhaps I'll post for interest closer to the time?

Kev.

I'm at the 'ring with a group of petrol heads and a group of bikers. If the weather turns awful on the Sunday then we'll just drive over for the GP.

[ QUOTE ]
At%20Eau%20Rouge%20web.jpg

Us at Eau Rouge.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, Monsoir Fromage and Captain Quincy!

hi guys,

been off audi-sport for a bit so just checked on responses and the advice looks good.

tickets have been bought for the grandstand on the run down to eau rouge. What a moment it will be when the race starts and they scramble for a place into eau rouge!! Having found a couple of corners in Kent with similar structures, I know how many Gs they must be experiencing on the compression....
.... a tad more than in my tdi!

staying at a hotel just on the other side of the german border and eurostarring out there. cant wait!

i have a reliable contact with Narain Karthikeyan, and now I'm just waiting for a response from him. Not sure exactly what he'll be able to get me, but meeting him again (but at a track I know so well thanks to Geoff Crammond) would be good enough!