Extreme Parking

Hmm......what about the risk of side impact from anyone reversing out of the angled spaces opposite? I actually quite like angled spaces as a concept as if designed correctly, as it makes door impact from other cars highly unlikely. I've thought about this subject a lot over the years, but sure you can probably tell.

I always avoid spaces opposite angled spaces due to side impact risk

Hmm......what about the risk of side impact from anyone reversing out of the angled spaces opposite?
lmao as soon as I saw the picture that was the first thing I though of...great minds think alike :D

Just nipped to Costco to stock up on a few things...taking no chances there, most customers find it difficult steering their trolley never mind driving a car! :)

Always park in the same area, uphill from and trolley bays! :)

Which Costco is that S32B? At the Trafford one in Manchester, they have really good wide bats next to the store (bit like child spaces). I'm with you on parking in the moth area......I always do this in car parks and as a result, others accuse me if being odd :)

Chester one, got a strange look from a guy getting out of a car as I walked toward him, he must have thought I was mad parking so far away :D

Chester one, got a strange look from a guy getting out of a car as I walked toward him, he must have thought I was mad parking so far away :D
Wouldn't worry about it.........I get that all of the time!!!!

Took my wee one to the park yesterday. Car park pretty empty so I parked in corner furthest away from everyone, as you do! I even park over to the right of the space enough so no one would park next to me on the wall side (see pic). All was well in extreme parking, so I thought. Came back to this......

Reactions: albu, Gazwould and Rob2k68
'Swarm Parking' is an instinctive behaviour seen in other drivers, often in inferior vehicles and who are unable to make their own decisions where to park.

Reactions: CHEZ, Scottyg and Simon L
Advantage of parking next to the extreme parker is that you're pretty much guaranteed they care about their car enough to not want to ding their door seam either. So it's a relatively safe spot.

Reactions: hopgop1, Daveotto and Ignition1
Yer Barking mad, the whole bleedin lot of yer!!

Only rule I have for parking is find the most expensive car i can see and stick it next to that, assuming they care about their car as much as I do?

As for parking in the furthest corner of a supermarket, I just can't be *****! ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Blackwhite
Yer Barking mad, the whole bleedin lot of yer!!

Only rule I have for parking is find the most expensive car i can see and stick it next to that, assuming they care about their car as much as I do?

As for parking in the furthest corner of a supermarket, I just can't be *****! ;)
99% of people who don't give a toss about denting your car also cannot be *****, hence why we park there!

Reactions: JohnM100 and Simon L
99% of people who don't give a toss about denting your car also cannot be *****, hence why we park there!

Oh I hear you man and I know to some extent I'm probably tempting fate but there's a limit to how much I'm prepared to inconvenience my life!!

....on no account assume it's coz I don't care about my pride n joy though. 3 months on and my S3 is flawless, and I do mean that ;)

Reactions: Blackwhite
Advantage of parking next to the extreme parker is that you're pretty much guaranteed they care about their car enough to not want to ding their door seam either. So it's a relatively safe spot.

I don't park at the back of a car park (can't be bothered and the other half won't let me anyway)...but I definitely look for the nicest cars - or cars which are clearly maintained and dent/scratch free and park next to them.

I've learnt my lesson after parking next to a banged up Ford Focus with numerous scratches, dents and hadn't been cleaned in months...came back found a nice new dent in my passenger door. :rage:

I don't park at the back of a car park (can't be bothered and the other half won't let me anyway)...but I definitely look for the nicest cars - or cars which are clearly maintained and dent/scratch free and park next to them.

I've learnt my lesson after parking next to a banged up Ford Focus with numerous scratches, dents and hadn't been cleaned in months...came back found a nice new dent in my passenger door. :rage:
I think the benefit of parking miles away is that most people who are likely to cause damage are also lazy, therefore less likely to park near you. The trouble parking next to two nice cars, is that 30 seconds after you've left your car, the one next to you could leave... and be replaced by a 15 year old rust bucket...

I think the benefit of parking miles away is that most people who are likely to cause damage are also lazy, therefore less likely to park near you. The trouble parking next to two nice cars, is that 30 seconds after you've left your car, the one next to you could leave... and be replaced by a 15 year old rust bucket...

Good point.

I really need to get a dashcam. The only thing that puts me off is having a wire looped all the way round to the socket.

Good point.

I really need to get a dashcam. The only thing that puts me off is having a wire looped all the way round to the socket.
I need a proximity-activated flame thrower. And to hell with health and safety.

Reactions: mcwharam, albu and (deleted member)

First off I'm not lazy, just busy sometimes :)

To be fair you are talking about a very tiny percentage of society (lets call them pikeys for arguments sake) who will literally fling open their doors without a second hesitation for what else is around them. When I used to run around in cheaper cars I used to be sh*t-scared of scratching other more expensive cars in car parks, and I happen to think a lot of other people think that way too.

I've lost count of the number of times I've gone back to my car and seen the person parked next to me literally squeezing themselves into their car to avoid opening the door too close to mine ;)

Always two sides to every story............

But what if said expensive car has two back doors which allow kids to exit by themselves? I never let my two open their doors in a car park, unless I'm miles away from other cars. Particularly with my 3dr A3, the door has two opening hinges. One close and one fully open. My fear is kids just flinging them open without parental supervision. See it when I get the chance to pick my kids up from school. Scary!! I have also failed to mention the ridiculously bad reverse parkers. Sorry to say, and don't shoot me, but older/very young women are the worse. In, out, in and out. Oh, back in and out. Back to same place of first try! Open door to check lines, start again, in and out!!!! The most attempts I've counted was 9, and she was in a Clio!!!

Reactions: CHEZ
But what if said expensive car has two back doors which allow kids to exit by themselves? I never let my two open their doors in a car park, unless I'm miles away from other cars. Particularly with my 3dr A3, the door has two opening hinges. One close and one fully open. My fear is kids just flinging them open without parental supervision. See it when I get the chance to pick my kids up from school. Scary!! I have also failed to mention the ridiculously bad reverse parkers. Sorry to say, and don't shoot me, but older/very young women are the worse. In, out, in and out. Oh, back in and out. Back to same place of first try! Open door to check lines, start again, in and out!!!! The most attempts I've counted was 9, and she was in a Clio!!!

Come off it Scott, you're not fooling anyone here.

We know you're talking about yer own parking skills ;)

Reactions: AudiNutta, Blackwhite, Scottyg and 1 other person
I was thinking about this thread / you lot last Friday as I parked at Gatwick long stay for a weekend away. It was rammed full and they would have been NO opportunity for any extreme parking! We were lucky to find a spot at all.

Luckingly I was in the BMW, so didn't give a toss! I think I'll stick to getting a cab when I get the Audi!

You make an interesting point slayaz, which has potential implications for all of us crazy people who are obsessed by parking spaces. I wonder how many of us actually avoid going places because of potential 'parking panic' syndrome. I can confess that I have actually used Google Street View when I've been heading to uncharted territory to check out the parking opportunities in advance!! Yes, I maybe do need therapy.

Reactions: zaka7, AudiNutta, albu and 7 others
You make an interesting point slayaz, which has potential implications for all of us crazy people who are obsessed by parking spaces. I wonder how many of us actually avoid going places because of potential 'parking panic' syndrome. I can confess that I have actually used Google Street View when I've been heading to uncharted territory to check out the parking opportunities in advance!! Yes, I maybe do need therapy.

Don't worry, me too!!!!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Come off it Scott, you're not fooling anyone here.

We know you're talking about yer own parking skills ;)

One thing I've never had on a car is parking sensors. I learned to drive the old school way. Mirrors are wonderful things! :yahoo:

Reactions: Simon L
One thing I've never had on a car is parking sensors. I learned to drive the old school way. Mirrors are wonderful things! :yahoo:

You and me both mate, but the sensors do give a bit of added assurance ;)

Reactions: Scottyg

I do that all the time. On my sat nav I rarely use the place for where I want to go, I put the destination of somewhere nearby where I can park - using Google of course. Street view is brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: albu
I can confess that I have actually used Google Street View when I've been heading to uncharted territory to check out the parking opportunities in advance!! Yes, I maybe do need therapy.

Been there and done it, many time I've used street view to check out the carpark of a hotel before booking it! :D Even gone to satellite view to see if there is any additional parking around the back lol.

A mate of mine and his wife were sitting in their car at the weekend outside Marks & Spencers when they felt a bump! An old couple had pulled into the space next to them and caught their rear wheel/panel. My mate got out and told the old couple what they had done, the old guy just looked and said "It looks OK" and then proceeded to walk off!!! My mate checked his car out and there was a slight mark on the paint above the wheel, when he looked at the front of their car the bumper was hanging off!! they must have caught his wheel.
His wife took pictures of both cars just in case they found something later on when they got home. Luckily the paint mark came out with some polish.

Revitalising this thread with my entry from a car park in Kenilworth!

IMG 2360

Reactions: jaypers777, Jassyo06 and Bandicoot51
Reactions: jaypers777 and Jassyo06
Revitalising this thread with my entry from a car park in Kenilworth!

View attachment 76023
I'm not sure that this is complete extreme parking. Yes, you have parked away from other cars, however you have failed to park on an end space. This means that there is an inherent risk that cars can park either side of you. Think you need to practice a bit more before you are completely OCD on this :wtf:

Reactions: AudiNutta and Daveotto
I'm not sure that this is complete extreme parking. Yes, you have parked away from other cars, however you have failed to park on an end space. This means that there is an inherent risk that cars can park either side of you. Think you need to practice a bit more before you are completely OCD on this :wtf:
This is OCD
d167cacb4e4230681fcc49b9cfeb8e8a.jpg