Extravagant purchase

Hmmmm...

Well to be honest I've not really made any 'extravagent' purchases at all lately...

The last was probably my PC; but that's only really used for ASN, E-Mail, downloads and as a big Haynes Manual / Parts Catalogue for the cars (although I did used to game a bit...)

...Spending lately has been on essentials. I've put about £4,000 worth of Diesel in the car for personal mileage, a few quid on maintenance (given that it's done 6 years distance in less than one) etc.

I bought an engagement ring which I guess sits between extravagent and essential - extravagent because it was a big thing that I'd never done before, but essential because it's required if you want to get engaged!

I think maybe the last thing I spent money on was a little extravagent, or perhaps it was just overpriced... £200 for the train ticket to London I'm currently using!

Regards,

Rob.

spent way too much on Agent Provocateur just last week for the upcoming valentines day...possibly to compensate that I also forked out a large amount on myself at my jewelers due to *ahem* misplacing my wedding ring :mad: Alhough I think it was nicked!

Other than that, its much the same as the above...

For xmas I got myself a 40" W-series Sony Bravia tv, Sony DVD/HDD recorder & matching home cimena amp with a Mordaunt Short speaker pack. Oh and for good measure and just to be different a £1500 Omega Speedmaster!! And the missus got from me some Santuary body scrub, a toblerone, some slippers and a few other trinkets! Im a generous soul at heart!!!

"And the mrs has just made me spend £1000 on a table"

your lucky my mrs spend double that with no chairs and then the ****** thing shattered in the heat.

Browsing the net at 3pm on a Friday.
Spotted a motorbike I liked the look of, did a deal over the phone, hired a van and set off to go get it.
Aberdeen to Rotherham and back in one hit.
My wife's quite used to it.
She doesn't mind, she likes the 'decisive' part of my nature.
The rest of my family are notorious ditherers, with the end result being they just tend to talk about stuff, without actually acting upon it.

I can't understand why so meny are spending 1-2k on watches? a 200quid seiko will do me just fine! LOL

Each to there own tho!

p

phantom said:
I can't understand why so meny are spending 1-2k on watches? a 200quid seiko will do me just fine! LOL

Each to there own tho!

p

LOL...well I have a thing for watches and bought myself an omega seamaster (black faced one) for my 30'th, then bought a speedmaster as I liked the look of it, then bought a speedmaster olympic limited edition and then last year spent £3K on a breitling.

Some people just like watches I guess...

Me, I'm sensible (sorta... bought a £4.5k car nearly 3 years before I had a licence!) but my friend (female) is on another planet:

£280 on a pair of R&R Jeans
£800 on a Chloe Paddington handbag
£200 (x4) on (tiny) Louis Vuitton bags
£280 for a pair of D&G glasses (yet to get the prescription lenses!)
£300 for a pair of Dior Sunglasses
£250 on a Vivian Westwood necklace
£300+ on a Tiffany bracelet

and thats just a drop in the ocean... the list could go on and on and on! Personally I think she's ****** nuts but hey-ho each to their own!

marriedblonde said:
LOL...well I have a thing for watches and bought myself an omega seamaster (black faced one) for my 30'th, then bought a speedmaster as I liked the look of it, then bought a speedmaster olympic limited edition and then last year spent £3K on a breitling.

Some people just like watches I guess...

Oh and I bought my dad an omega seamaster planet ocean for christmas/birthday

Sam-K said:
Yeah watches are great, you can dress like an absolute tramp, but have a couple of grands worth of watch on your wrist and still look cool.

Yep definately. And as i keep telling my wife I would look stupid with diamond earings, necklace etc so she should be grateful I stick to watches ;)

phantom said:

I know plenty of people who would baulk at £200 for a watch as well though.
It's all relative.
I've started collecting Tissot MotoGP watches, but they're only around £200-£300 a pop.
A friend of mine bought himself some pot ugly gold Rolex in the states, two months ago.
He won't divulge the price, but he did divulge he got £5k trade-in for his old one, so one can only speculate at the price of the new one.
Funny thing with him is that his house is an absolute mess.
I don't mean untidy, but desperately crying out for a new kitchen/bathroom.
The sort of house that would be advertised as 'needs modernisation'.
Yet he'll happily spend £xxxx on a watch.:tocktock:
Oh, he keeps his Ducati in his dining room too.

To me, the issue of extravagance is not about whether something is a necessity or an indulgence. These are issues of perception and will vary from person to person. Nor in my view does extravagance flow simply from how much something has cost. Rather, it is question of whether the person has the money to spend or not. A £5,000 wristwatch is not extravagant per se if you have £5,000 in your back pocket not doing very much, and all your bills are paid. By the same token, £100 spent on car detailing products may well be extravagant if you're up to your eyes in debt, there's no food in the house, and you're about to go to court for council tax arrears. Extreme examples in both cases, but they illustrate the point I am making.

So with that in mind, it would be interesting to know how many of the "extravagant" purchases listed above were paid for using the poster's own money, and how many were bought with borrowed money such as overdrafts, credit cards, house equity, interest-free store credit and all the rest of it.

jdp1962 said:
So with that in mind, it would be interesting to know how many of the "extravagant" purchases listed above were paid for using the poster's own money, and how many were bought with borrowed money such as overdrafts, credit cards, house equity, interest-free store credit and all the rest of it.

In my case, the bike I bought on a whim was with borrowed money, that I had sitting around from the sale of a previous bike.
Any 'cash' I have to throw around tends to be from my football betting.
I have an agreement with the wife about that.
She asks no questions, I chuck her some dosh every now and then.
If the gooners win tonight, I'll be treating myself to a satnav tomorrow.

mine came from the cash I was sitting on.... although I bought over the net so it went on a card. I considered it extravagant as the said items dont normally get much use... if you get my drift. ;)

Cash + mortgage (for the house build). Not many peeps have that sort of money lying around, me thinks...

I'm a firm believer in using someone else's money, if I can.
For example, TV's are one of my 'things'.
I change TV's like you wouldn't believe.
I'll have the cash to go buy one straight, but I'll almost always buy from somewhere offering 'buy now, pay 6/9/12 months later'.
As long as it's interest free, that is.

jdp1962 said:

Mine are paid for with cash and normally coincide with a dividend that I have taken from my company.

J.

My toys are all paid by cash or I'll take 12 months interest free if available.

Bought a Mini Moto a couple of years ago. Rode it about 5 times then just forgot about it until last summer, got it out again but wont start and been sat in the barn gathering dust ever since! At least I think thats where it is?! :tocktock:

Matt said:
Bought a Mini Moto a couple of years ago. Rode it about 5 times then just forgot about it until last summer, got it out again but wont start and been sat in the barn gathering dust ever since! At least I think thats where it is?! :tocktock:

I'm like that with full size bikes.
I just can't bear not having one though.

When I said it would be interesting to know how people paid for their stuff, it was actually a rhetorical question. I wouldn't pose such an intrusive question and expect people to answer.

phantom said:
I can't understand why so meny are spending 1-2k on watches?

I dont get it either... when a £5 Casio will do the job just as well!

Saying that I've got a £400 Oakley Blade II :)

Its the high prices drawing us in I recon... :icon_thumright:

phantom said:

Each to there own tho!

p

A Fiat Multipla would get you from A-B, but you wouldnt buy one!!
same thing with spending a ruck on watches, Personal choice, taste and in most cases one upmanship.

Thats not a dig at seiko watches btw

Gilly said:
same thing with spending a ruck on watches, Personal choice, taste and in most cases one upmanship.

Yeah but they look like a icecream vans! LOL

Agreed , it's the fact that so meny in one forum/thread have bought a very/expensive watch in the past few months!

Your money spend it how you like.

p

I wonder if in the "kia owners club forums" (if there is such a thing), everyone is sporting an Omega, and has big tellys hanging of there walls?

and yes, that was a pop at Kia drivers :)

Gilly said:

A watch just tells the time. If you think a car just gets you from A-B then you're on the wrong forum.
As for taste, expensive watch = taste, I don't think so, usually exactly the opposite. But yes totally one upmanship if you ask me, might as well cut out the middle man and compare knob size!

£645 on a cherished number plate....... last most expensive thing I bought non car related was my lap top at £640 or my snowboarding holiday around £600 i think

I'd disagree about the watch comments. Most people dont know that you've dropped a few grand on a watch.

I like watches, I wear them for my own pleasure.

Some people are happy with a £5 or £200 seiko and good for them, the same as some people cant see the point in blowing money on cars etc.

Horses for courses.

AndyMac said:
A watch just tells the time. If you think a car just gets you from A-B then you're on the wrong forum.
As for taste, expensive watch = taste, I don't think so, usually exactly the opposite. But yes totally one upmanship if you ask me, might as well cut out the middle man and compare knob size!
only one of my mates realise how pricey my watch is so if it is one upmanship I have lost out