External Temp Sensor

B79MJW

Reaction score
Anyone else find the B8 one random.

It seems 2 degrees higher than my golf. Constantly and the location in the engine seems to harbour heat so when I start driving it drops to where it should be.

Is it just crap placement on the front of fans? Or should Independent the sensor out?

Cheers

I think that maybe you need to have realistic expectations for the performance/accuracy of these temperature read outs, yes all my modern cars seem to get affected with engine heat soak more than my previous ones, but it still gives a very good indication of what is happening outside.

I wouldn't trust any exterior temperature sensor to accurately measure temperature outside the car because its always too near the car. Possibly some manufacturers put an adjustment in the reading to compensate. Either way I would expect 2 different cars to have different readings. Mine is always different from my wife's QQ.

I seem to remember that some or all car marques had built in a means to "slug" any rising temperatures and allow falling temperatures to get shown quickly, it would need to be like that to avoid the displayed temperature rising when you stopped at lights etc, but was never intended to stop the rise in value you get after parking up maybe beside a wall for 20 minutes.

They do still tend to be a bit more representative of what is happening near the road surface than any road side displays that are 10 or 20 feet above the road surface, like KwikFit time/temp displays, so any cars I've had with an external temperature display, 4 Fords, 1 Vauxhall, 2 SEAT, 1 Audi and 3 VW have all worked okay for me.