1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

External Amp Instillation on Audi MMI

Mohammed Umar Oct 25, 2016

1. Mohammed Umar

Mohammed Umar Registered User

Has anyone fitted an external amp for a sub on the Audi MMI stereo?

How to get the best sound quality? Via a high to low or is it worth spending money on the advanced high to low's if so recommendations please?

Where is best place to get feed from on the MMI? Front or rear speakers? or is there an easier place than that?

Also is anyone aware of the wiring diagram for the speakers i.e. colour codes to + - L and + - R ?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I have an external sub on mine. I went for one of these ported boxes that has a built in amp.

It uses speaker level inputs, and auto senses when there is input and switches itself on (and off)

You don't say what car you have, my S7 has the battery in the boot, so hookup was very straight forward.

I left the original sub in place so l could return to stock when needed.

4. Mohammed Umar

Mohammed Umar Registered User

I have an s3 8v, not too fussed about how to wire the battery, thats straight forward though mine is in the engine bay, Do you have a colour coding for the wires? L+- and R+- ?

Did you use a standard high to low level converter?

5. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I used the JL Audio powered subwoofer solution, so no need for a converter. You just hook up speaker level inputs.

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/car-audio-subwoofer-systems-amplified-microsub

You can find them on eBay. The wiring colours differ by model, so cant help you there, sorry.

Im sure there are another much more expensive solutions out there, but this worked for me, was an easy install and reasonable cost.