Expensive month (2)

toastyhamster

Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago the DPF light comes on, limp mode.

Booked in last week - DPF needs cleaning, bit unusual at such low miles (80k), anyway, gets sent off and gets good results from the cleaning. Had a call today, stud snapped on the turbo, we'll have to remove the turbo to sort it, but really we'd recommend removing the turbo anyway as the oil leak from the turbo probably caused the early DPF problem and it needs to go off for a refurb.
Oh yeah, both front hubs are severely warped (recurring problem) and they want me to upgrade to S4 brakes (expensive, so hello ebay!).
Not yet had the quote for the ATF change which is due.

Fat chance of me having the front bumper resprayed now, I'll have to live with the chips a bit longer.

Might get it back this week, would prefer they kept til after pay day!

Not having a lot of luck with that.I would have taken the opportunity to gut the DPF then you won't have any more problems and get better performance/ fuel economy.If you want to upgrade the brakes the Q5 4 pot Brembo calipers are a good upgrade.
Have a look at my build thread.
A lot of the time brake vibration can be due to pad pick up and not actually warped rotors. What pads are you using ? .

Reactions: Meemo
They measured the hub run out and the discs, definitely warped, they're also blue, I do tend to brake pretty hard if I'm in the mood and it's pretty clear. Not sure on the pads but currently on Pagid discs. Thanks for the tip on the Q5 stuff, will take a look.

Looked into the DPF removal, I know it's done quite a bit but I didn't fancy it for various reasons.

This has put me off modern diesels quite a bit, next one much more likely to be a petrol (particularly having just had a short ride in a S5!).

Doesn't surprise me your Pagid discs have warped! I've had a set that were warped out the box - Pagid wouldn't honour their warranty saying all their products go through rigorous quality control before leaving the factory!
Also had a set warp within a couple months (not on the A4) - complete garbage.
I've been running MTEC discs with Brembo pads the past 12 months - they've been excellent so far.

So if it's an ongoing issue, change brands!

Ouch Poor luck.
May I ask why you wouldnt want the DPF delete? Is it simply because of the MOT risk?
When mine goes I plan to have it gutted, but only if and when it gives up.

I had an issue with break vibration which could be simular and of interest to you...
I went through a set of genuine disks, then mtec x2 then to Pagid all in 6 months, very expensive and unreasonable.
the vibration issue would go when i had new disks then return in a few weeks/ months. Then the wheel bearing went on one side at the front.
so ran the pagid disks a while with no issue and the vibration started to come back hwen breaking, at this point i was selling my wheels and when i took them off noticed the same side that had the wheel bearing replaced, that the tyre had a few bulges and dips. (My wheels always go back on the same corner as a rule of thumb, and same when Olly has done the work).
Ran my other wheels and in a few weeks the vibration got better then went away and hasnt come back.. I genuinly believe it was the buldgey tyre which cause all my problems and made the disks start to vibrate.

there was another thread on here where a guy had the same issue where his disks was warping on both sides. I believe his hubs was replaced by audi but didnt solve the issue, and last i heard it was because Audi had not installed the new hubs properly and he was requesting them to redo them.. not sure what happened after that but if I find the thread I will link it to you.

This issue predates the current set of tyres and I'm sure the garage would have checked. I have a rough price for the S4 brake upgrade. Ouch. Probably get the hubs replaced, then go with the garages recommendation on disks/pads for now. I've had this car five years and the plan is to keep it another 12 months at the most, so spending a bundle on a brake upgrade doesn't make a lot of sense. If it happens again I'll live with it until trade in time and shove some new discs on again.

Don't need anything else to go wrong!

Sorry, just realised I didn't address the DPF question. Yes, it's mainly down to the MOT/legality issue. The majority of my mileage is business for my employer (travel to customer sites etc), and I can't take any risks with legality regarding the car I use.

The Audi Q5 4 pot Brembo calipers can be ordered from Mike on the parts request for just over £500 for the pair.These are brand new genuine Audi parts. They are plug and play and you can use any 345mm disc that you would use on an S4 .