Exhausts RS3 8V

N

Nimbus265

For those of you lucky enough to have taken delivery of your 8V RS3, who has a standard exhaust, and is there any chance you can upload a video of the sound of the exhaust?

I've had a RS3 demo over the weekend, with the sports exhaust, but have no comparision.

Simulate a change to my spec would not work as the build was loacked, so I may have to opt for aftermarket or retrofit the oem sport exhaust.

It would be nice to hear the sound, so I can start planning.

Thanks

Nimbus

Reactions: RYuill
I had a demo in one with a standard exhaust and it sounded great too!

TX.

I've driven both. The sound is basically the same, the sport one just 50% louder. Maybe the odd extra pop and crackle.
I'd say just a secondary cat removal would probably take the standard to the same level as the sport and would be an easy mod.

I drove the standard exhaust and thought it sounded great. As said above by josedebardi i think secondary pipes would be a good move rather than the sports exhaust :)

.......what about a secondary cat removal on the sports exhaust.... :yum:

Reactions: VAG_Club001, 5pot and josedebardi
Drove both today @billyali86 at Knowsley Audi sport showcase........... @WALTER MITTY agrees there isn't anything in it, we drove both and listened to both driving off with others, as i've said in my other post i'd not be dissapointed with the standard exhaust.

Both cars we set up in Dynamic before setting off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
One thing worth noting is the RS3 has inherited the same problem as other RS cars with flaps that only open in Dynamic mode.

If you start the car and it was last left in dynamic, the flaps will remain closed until you cycle the Drive-Select through Auto>Comfort>Dynamic again. I tested this out when I drove it at the Showcase last week - my dealer was stood in the door ready to send me off and was surprised and glad I showed him so he could make sure other test drives had the same treatment for the full effect - I checked because my S1 does the same and when I reported it as a fault they said it was a 'feature' of all S/RS cars apparently!
This problem affects both the standard and sport exhausts (they both have flaps).

So if you're going and try them out be sure to make sure you really are in dynamic! It makes a massive different to the sound.

One thing worth noting is the RS3 has inherited the same problem as other RS cars with flaps that only open in Dynamic mode.

If you start the car and it was last left in dynamic, the flaps will remain closed until you cycle the Drive-Select through Auto>Comfort>Dynamic again. I tested this out when I drove it at the Showcase last week - my dealer was stood in the door ready to send me off and was surprised and glad I showed him so he could make sure other test drives had the same treatment for the full effect - I checked because my S1 does the same and when I reported it as a fault they said it was a 'feature' of all S/RS cars apparently!
This problem affects both the standard and sport exhausts (they both have flaps).

So if you're going and try them out be sure to make sure you really are in dynamic! It makes a massive different to the sound.

Permanently closed? Or until 2.5k revs.

You can use VCDS and deactivate them, this way they are always open, no matter what mode you are in

I tested one with the standard exhaust and thought it sounded great.

Quite a bit noisier than my S3 in dynamic. It still banged and popped but never antisocial.

Reactions: GRE57Y, Blackwhite and DAYTONA 500
Agreed Standard exhaust in Dynamic is great.
Plenty noisy enough, as we experienced today.

Permanently closed? Or until 2.5k revs.

You can use VCDS and deactivate them, this way they are always open, no matter what mode you are in

Not sure, on my S1 they are permanently. But if they open at 2.5k rpm on the RS3 it's effectively reverted to Auto mode I guess (despite if you check in the MMI it saying it's still in Dynamic).

The flaps in the exhaust pipes control the exhaust flow that varies with engine load and speed.

Reactions: T-800
I tested one with the standard exhaust and thought it sounded great.

Quite a bit noisier than my S3 in dynamic. It still banged and popped but never antisocial.

There is nothing worse than an anti-social exhaust. :redface new:

Reactions: T-800 and DAYTONA 500
This could explain why the exhaust on my S3 is so temperamental with its noise!

Not sure, on my S1 they are permanently. But if they open at 2.5k rpm on the RS3 it's effectively reverted to Auto mode I guess (despite if you check in the MMI it saying it's still in Dynamic).
Its the characteristic of petrol cars fitted with the s-tronic box it doesn't effectively revert to auto mode as you "guess (despite if you check in the MMI it saying it's still in Dynamic).[/QUOTE] the flaps open and close as the car changes gear more so when it is under load .Ive owned 3 stronic supercharged/turbocharged s/rs cars over the last 5 years and driven every other current Audi RS model and they've all do this.

Reactions: T-800
Its the characteristic of petrol cars fitted with the s-tronic box it doesn't effectively revert to auto mode as you "guess " the flaps open and close as the car changes gear.Ive owned 3 stronic s/rs cars over the last 5 years and they've all done this.

So what is it which causes on all 3 RS3's I've driven...

Car is in dynamic
Car is turned off
Car is turned on
Car is cycled Dynamic>Auto>Comfort>Dynamic
You hear a servo whir and there is a sudden change in exhaust note (at idle)

?

I've no doubt the flaps open/close progressively depending on gear/engine load/ADS mode etc, but something definitely changes in the above scenario.

I agree that the exhaust note changes when you cycle through the modes ,the flaps are also controlled via vacuum ,something to do with back pressure and rpm's which I can't comment on further tonight, I said to Sean earlier i was gonna do a write up tomorrow as im extremely tired but i will give some of my findings ,today Sean and i had the use of 2 different RS"3 both with mag ride one with sports exhaust one without we spent about 45mins in each he drove one when i was passenger and vice versa. We only tested the comfort ,auto ,dynamic modes both the exhausts sounded great i was more interested in the suspension settings as that is the most important feature on any performance car for me,i found that it does exactly what i want and transforms the car making it extremely versatile.I did three launches in it and some spirited driving and i will write about that tomorrow with comparison to the mk1 ,and im sure Sean will write some aswell. heres a link to Capristo's explanation .
http://capristo-usa.com/shop/audi-s4-s5-high-performance-exhaust-system-incl-remote/

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimbus265 and T-800
It was really difficult to know how to select Dynamic mode
Altering the settings in Car mode really took some thinking about...........

So what is it which causes on all 3 RS3's I've driven...

Car is in dynamic
Car is turned off
Car is turned on
Car is cycled Dynamic>Auto>Comfort>Dynamic
You hear a servo whir and there is a sudden change in exhaust note (at idle)

?

I've no doubt the flaps open/close progressively depending on gear/engine load/ADS mode etc, but something definitely changes in the above scenario.
Easier to flick the gearstick into sport mode - had the same effect

Reactions: RYuill, josedebardi and DAYTONA 500
Infact I rarely use the modes - individual set with sound dynamic, engine auto. Pull back for sport!

Reactions: batch and Danner3342
Before i forget i also drove it in full manual mode [gear lever to the left] and it doesn't change up automatically it bounces off the limiter in every gear .

Before i forget i also drove it in full manual mode [gear lever to the left] and it doesn't change up automatically it bounces off the limiter in every gear .
It certainly did!!!

I'll vouch for that......

Don't forget the brakes as well...... Damn good stoppers on it this time

I think these moaners are ready for their A6 estates lol

Eh? Can't see any moaners Dan... You been at the cooking sherry?

As usual he's after a reaction........

Then he can take a screenshot on his phone and post on RS3OC and ask "am I like this?"

Lol lol lol

Someone on RS3OC w
I think these moaners are ready for their A6 estates lol
Absolutely an A6 allroad would make a great addition to a stable of cars :yum:but would have to be in a suitable colour not to show water spots after it had been washed:sadlike:
lol lol lol

Reactions: Yorrick and T-800
Someone on RS3OC w

Absolutely an A6 allroad would make a great addition to a stable of cars :yum:but would have to be in a suitable colour not to show water spots after it had been washed:sadlike:
lol lol lol

Yes i agree, but other must haves with the A6 Allroad are, Prescription windscreen (to make buildings look better), 2 auto dimming wing mirrors as opposed to just 1.................
Oh and a set of unmarked alloys :yum:

Reactions: Yorrick
Come on girls... Stop bitching. T-800 report me I dare you lol

As usual he's after a reaction........

Then he can take a screenshot on his phone and post on RS3OC and ask "am I like this?"

Lol lol lol
Yeah cause a fraud like you has 2 accounts we all know who you are on there. Nothing but a keyboard warrior that talks **** and hides behind his screen

Report you for what ?

Everything was great both here and on RS3OC.......

Then you came along arrogant and no respect for anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
However Dan.......

Life's too short.

Let's Draw a line under this and move on eh?

What do you say ?

Report you for what ?

Everything was great both here and on RS3OC.......

Then you came along arrogant and no respect for anybody.

That's just your opinion and your secondary accounts I'm not the only person your ******* off I would say it's the majority. So stick your views where the sun don't shine. ️ps get your hearing tested because the sports exhaust it so much louder than standard period. If your getting bullied at home not our problem don't bring it on here.

Yeah cause a fraud like you has 2 accounts we all know who you are on there. Nothing but a keyboard warrior that talks **** and hides behind his screen

I took a photo of him yesterday hiding behind his Ray Bans smoking one of those nasty pretend cigarette things.
IMG_0194_zpsza0wpp7s.jpg

However Dan.......

Life's too short.

Let's Draw a line under this and move on eh?

What do you say ?

I'm not bothered what you do... Don't cause issues and try and look like the good guy at the end of it