Exhaust

just what id do mate

you wouldnt beleive the amount of people coming on here telling us all what a new exhaust/decat will do for their 1.8T because an exhaust ALWAYS makes a turbo car faster - make an idiot of themselves because of what we already know it doesnt do - then low and behold they havent got anymore power than the next chap and they are 3-5-700 pounds outer pocket

you wouldnt beleive the amount of people coming on here telling us all what a new exhaust/decat will do for their 1.8T because an exhaust ALWAYS makes a turbo car faster - make an idiot of themselves because of what we already know it doesnt do - then low and behold they havent got anymore power than the next chap and they are 3-5-700 pounds outer pocket

Oh those words are bliss to my ears, someone else who sees through the "milltek etc solves world peace"

I honestly without a word of sarcasm thank you for not allowing some other poor schmuck spend money on something that may not even make any difference at all.

Yea well that's why people come on here for advice. Don't make people feel good when they are being ripped for asking advice.
I prob won't benefit from an exhaust, but the torque and sut will still blast out lol . Long as iv got double mpg of ur 1.8 turbs and much more torque, I honestly don't care

Yea well that's why people come on here for advice. Don't make people feel good when they are being ripped for asking advice.
I prob won't benefit from an exhaust, but the torque and sut will still blast out lol . Long as iv got double mpg of ur 1.8 turbs and much more torque, I honestly don't care

Whose ripping anyone asking for advice?

Oh those words are bliss to my ears, someone else who sees through the "milltek etc solves world peace"

I honestly without a word of sarcasm thank you for not allowing some other poor schmuck spend money on something that may not even make any difference at all.

will some people be told though :)

i'll recommend an exhaust if and only IF you are prepared to spend money ONLY for the benefit of noise, if thats what you want, however i feel it necessary to explain that no extra power will ensue and im pretty confident on the facts based upon other members testing - tests that have proven otherwise have often been computer based tests using sensors already installed on the car, issue being is you arent ever going to get a conclusive fact based figure

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a decent de-cat system and a proper ecu remap, won't do a thing for the car. Im the last person who wants a chavved up boyo noise box by the way lol.

Oh your the guy who started to help me in the first place.!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ you have a serious chip on your shoulder, I suggest you go remove it cause with that attitude you wont attract any help.

Remember this is a forum, people have real lives, we do have priorities, families, work to do, lives to live, if you want instant advice ring a garage or relevant business that will charge you for the service, forums usually take time & yes threads/requests are missed unfortunately & as someone has already advised you it is summertime, ASN has been quiet of late & I suspect its something to do with SUMMER HOLIDAYS with there families.

Just so you know even if its hard to understand Tonto, my missus is about to drop a baby & I'm moving to Italy, sorry if this causes a slight inconveneince to your schedule, now wind your neck in a tad & I would be happy to add anything of worth that may help you in the future!!!!

& yes, you are over reacting, you made your point in your 1st post about no responces, why continue it when this thread has already got the ball rolling.

will some people be told though :)

i'll recommend an exhaust if and only IF you are prepared to spend money ONLY for the benefit of noise, if thats what you want, however i feel it necessary to explain that no extra power will ensue and im pretty confident on the facts based upon other members testing - tests that have proven otherwise have often been computer based tests using sensors already installed on the car, issue being is you arent ever going to get a conclusive fact based figure

Probably not.

Also your 2nd wise paragraph I have read tonite is the reason why I didnt waste any dough on a milltek for my 8L S3 I had for 7 years, I saw no benefit at all except for the badge, revo map was enough for me & BMC with no expectancy of power increases just a more direct air feed, also I dont subscribe to the noise benefit, allthough others do & are free to do so, it doesnt float my boat to try & make my small S3 sound like a V12 :p

Probably not.

Also your 2nd wise paragraph I have read tonite is the reason why I didnt waste any dough on a milltek for my 8L S3 I had for 7 years, I saw no benefit at all except for the badge, revo map was enough for me & BMC with no expectancy of power increases just a more direct air feed, also I dont subscribe to the noise benefit, allthough others do & are free to do so, it doesnt float my boat to try & make my small S3 sound like a V12 :p

Now thats what im talking about, iv heard others say that changing the exhaust wont make a difference but a good map and as you say BMC, does the job. I hate the noise thing, if its a big powerful engine then fine but not from a diesel or a small engine.
Look im sorry about my impatience, always gets me, most of you guys are full of knowledge, valuable to guys like me who know very little. Sorry again ; )

its totaly down to the individual and what gains you want from mods done, in your case u need to decide on what it is, power, sound or for some like mentioned, the badge ! or braggin rights lol...
ive done plenty of mods to my car and not even considered a pipe due to the type of car and driving style that comes with it ( its only a standard 18t ) and a heavy one at that, however im soon to be upgrading to an rs4 and already found my self falling into the catagory of the power increase and sound theme ill gain from it ( on the relevent car )
its all horses for courses mate, as im sure your aware, it doesnt just stop there, its a never ending circle once you start.
having been in a mates 20tdi dsg a3 with a remap, id highly recommend that, you can see and feel where your moneys gone

its totaly down to the individual and what gains you want from mods done, in your case u need to decide on what it is, power, sound or for some like mentioned, the badge ! or braggin rights lol...
ive done plenty of mods to my car and not even considered a pipe due to the type of car and driving style that comes with it ( its only a standard 18t ) and a heavy one at that, however im soon to be upgrading to an rs4 and already found my self falling into the catagory of the power increase and sound theme ill gain from it ( on the relevent car )
its all horses for courses mate, as im sure your aware, it doesnt just stop there, its a never ending circle once you start.
having been in a mates 20tdi dsg a3 with a remap, id highly recommend that, you can see and feel where your moneys gone

Looks like a remap now, mainly just to smooth it out and improve economy a little.

Probably not.

BMC are an overated expensive filter talk about throwing money away??

^^^ lol agree. Could someone upload some info/links proving an exhaust for a A3/S3/1.8T is pointless please, would love to read them.

Nathan

Unless you are going bigger turbo on your PD, I would have a muffelrectomy, as you will not gain power, well not for the cost of a full exhaust anyway!

In essence it's the back box being removed and replaced with pipe, gives a little more noise (nothing too loud though), plus you get to choose your tailpipe. Ask around at any Exhaust fabrication place. Should only cost £100 tops as well.

Can only see the little thread on decat pipes. Cannot find a thread/review on a full exhaust system.

My bad just found 2 threads. I havent got any actual info apart from someone saying things dont work and I have proven it via dynos but nothing is uploaded, more word of mouth to me.

Last edited:
Std airbox will flow more than enough air for around 300BHP, unless you like the noise, it's a waste of time. A std S3 exhaust will work up to nearly 400 BHP before becoming a problem, so again a waste of money except for noise.

If you are running into high flow situations then gains are to be had, else, stealth FTW..

Im sure at least one person will say a standard item on our cars are good enough for X amount of power more than standard but still doesnt stop people buying them.

For instant, everyone says the standard bosch DV are rubbish for remapped boost pressure but I have seen a 800bhp RS4 running 2 so surely they must be fine on our cars and pointless getting a Forge 007P dv. A remap is best bang for your bucks and transforms the car completely but recently I havent seen one car make more than 15bhp more than standard on this forum. Poly dogbone mount, read someone said it changed the way the car handled, more stable, planted during corners etc. I didnt notice any of this when I changed mine but doesnt mean the other person is wrong with his/her experience. N75J valve, most people on here say they are pointless and cause limp mode. On my car it works absolutely great and hasnt hit limp mode once.

What im getting at is everyone has different experiences with tuning there cars. Someone will put something on there car and say ye I noticed a difference and another will say I noticed no difference at all. I will always do things myself so I know myself this or that does or doesnt work, will never go with what someone else says, thats just me.

I have gone a bit off topic now lol

Nathan

Im sure at least one person will say a standard item on our cars are good enough for X amount of power more than standard but still doesnt stop people buying them.

For instant, everyone says the standard bosch DV are rubbish for remapped boost pressure but I have seen a 800bhp RS4 running 2 so surely they must be fine on our cars and pointless getting a Forge 007P dv. A remap is best bang for your bucks and transforms the car completely but recently I havent seen one car make more than 15bhp more than standard on this forum. Poly dogbone mount, read someone said it changed the way the car handled, more stable, planted during corners etc. I didnt notice any of this when I changed mine but doesnt mean the other person is wrong with his/her experience. N75J valve, most people on here say they are pointless and cause limp mode. On my car it works absolutely great and hasnt hit limp mode once.

What im getting at is everyone has different experiences with tuning there cars. Someone will put something on there car and say ye I noticed a difference and another will say I noticed no difference at all. I will always do things myself so I know myself this or that does or doesnt work, will never go with what someone else says, thats just me.

I have gone a bit off topic now lol

Nathan

^^^^^ agreed hi have a j valve and it has been faultless, for a start a 3" downpipe if nothing else will lower egts....right?

Diesels are easier to tune (well, easier to get more out of with an ECU upgrade rather than parts), right? If so I'd put the money into a good remap rather than a new exhaust, but that's from an S3 point of view... don't know what the relative benefits would be on a TDis.

Also, I don't know what the availability of properly sorted off-the-shelf stuff is like for your car, so custom definitely sounds the better option if it is an exhaust you're going for. Can't really say I'd expect much return on a tuned diesel... more torque maybe, but surely you already have a healthy bit of punch.

Diesels are easier to tune (well, easier to get more out of with an ECU upgrade rather than parts), right? If so I'd put the money into a good remap rather than a new exhaust, but that's from an S3 point of view... don't know what the relative benefits would be on a TDis.

Also, I don't know what the availability of properly sorted off-the-shelf stuff is like for your car, so custom definitely sounds the better option if it is an exhaust you're going for. Can't really say I'd expect much return on a tuned diesel... more torque maybe, but surely you already have a healthy bit of punch.

Cheers for the sensible answer mate, very few on here to be honest. Some people have been real good though.
I agree fully with what your saying, im going to go for the map option and leave the exhaust etc. I came on here for ideas so cheers.

soot chucker ehhh, ive a 170 TDI BLACK EDITION with a giac remap and id gladly put myself against a standard 8l s3 no problem.

soot chucker ehhh, ive a 170 TDI BLACK EDITION with a giac remap and id gladly put myself against a standard 8l s3 no problem.

Have a look what your saying mate. "put yourself against a standard s3" errm, seems a bit unfair, hows about standard v standard or remapped v remapped.

have a look at what your saying MATE, who would have thought 9 years ago that it isnt FAIR putting a mapped audi a3 diesel against the mighty S3, your post puts it in to perspective.

I have mate. How can putting a modified car against a standard car be fair? Who said the s3 was "mighty"?

diesel petrol diesel petrol hellooooo thread soot chucker diesel petrol hello

Whatever i really cant be ***** with this.