Exhaust/remapped 2.0t qauttro vs exhaust/remapped 3.0tdi quattro

Just bear in mind that those comments are from the experience of an SE, which will wallow around alot, the S-line will be totally different.

Good point; well made. The SE spec is also a reflection of my "grumpy old far.... um, I mean man" approach to driving these days. The S-Line is much sharper, but for me the price paid in reduced ride comfort is too high.

I've read the ride in the b7 when lowered with decent springs and shocks and an ARB is both smoother and better handled than the Sline, and this is the route I will be taking with either car, so the only reason for me to go for the Sline would be for the styling.

I have to say I do prefer the boot shape of the Sline, I'm guessing this is something that can be switched between the two models?

Good point; well made. The SE spec is also a reflection of my "grumpy old far.... um, I mean man" approach to driving these days. The S-Line is much sharper, but for me the price paid in reduced ride comfort is too high.

I totally agree, it's each to their own. Comfort or handling.

If youre modding the suspension aswell, it's a no brainer for me. But I'm a bit biased!!!

Also, the Tdi has the same suspension and brake setup as the S4, that's another thing to bear in mind.

Bigger brakes is always nice, that's a big expense spared if I were to want to upgrade them down the line...

How much trouble will I be in if I say the 3.0TDi is best combined with a Tiptronic auto box?

Its not something I've really been considering as I've only ever had manuals and because they are a bit slower.

Wouldn't mind a go in one, but I figure I've got plenty of time for autos later on down the road!

I realize that if you're caught in the wrong gear at the wrong time then the auto would be advantageous, but I'm fairly sure a semi-decent driver would beat the auto if they were purposefully racing due to drive-train losses (and weight?).

How quick will the tip kick down in sport mode? Do normally find yourself leaving it in sport mode or is it much smoother without?

How quick will the tip kick down in sport mode? Do normally find yourself leaving it in sport mode or is it much smoother without?

It's pretty responsive in both modes, the main difference being that in sport, you are typically one gear lower to begin with before you kick it down. I tend to use sport when it's just me and a quiet road, and normal mode for ambling round town, crusing on motorways, or when Mrs Grumpy Old Man is in the car with me, heheh!

I so wish mine had the 3.0 TDI lump in it.

I so wish mine had a front centre armrest. I know I can get one fitted pretty easily, and for not much money, but the trouble is I am on a stern promise to Mrs GOM not to spend any money at all modding this one - the house needs a new roof and windows first - and she'd notice the armrest right away.

(So far, she hasn't noticed the RS4 anti-roll bar)

Jeff, I will indeed let you guys know :)

Reading around elsewhere I'm now being pulled towards the diesel again, the torque sounds addictive and from the sounds of it you can get them to handle pretty well.

Razza, I'm based in Watford atm, and would be very grateful of a spin in your motor! (as a passenger, of course!)