Exhaust query

Baronne Mouton

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and also not particularly clued up with cars :readit:
About 6 months ago I had the whole exhaust system replaced at a garage (a nationwide chain) - and the exhaust is now rusting so I went back to them and complained saying that didn't seem right for it to be corroding so soon. They offered to replace it..... but .... with an exact replacement!
They said it was due to our salt/grit roads and it was essentially only cosmetic. They also said the warranty won't start from zero it will continue from the original purchase date, which makes me think that obviously now that we're heading out of Winter, it wouldn't quite get the same exposure...
But I'm not sure what to do - gut feeling is that I shouldn't accept the offer as it's not really fixing the problem?
What do you reckon?

Attachments

• 20170122_124703.jpg
    20170122_124703.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20170122_124657.jpg
    20170122_124657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
Hi and welcome to the forum. That's really bad corrosion, I wouldn't accept the replacement either, would be better to get a used genuine exhaust than fit another that will corrode in an instant. You can argue that it's not fit for purpose and see how it goes from there.

Last edited:
I live in Scotland , so we see plenty of salt on the roads , I have literally just took my exhaust of today to gut it , and it still looks like new , 2003 with 191000 miles lol , petrol

Don't you just love where they put the three bolts connecting the cat to the downpipe? :notworking: