exhaust or heat shield noise

johnny a4

Reaction score
Just have my a4 for a few weeks now and I have a rattle coming from underneath the passenger side rear, sounds like it make be the exhaust or a heat shield.i have had look under the car and I can not see anything hitting of the floor of the car. Checked the heat shields and I am putting my hair out, has anyone else come across a similar problem and think of anything else it could be.

I'd a similar problem with my exhaust. Thought it was Heat Shield or one of the panels underneath. Eventually tracked it down to the last hanging bracket for the exhaust. I was getting a side to side movement, just a few millimetres where the exhaust Mounts on to the hanger. I used washers to fill out the gap ( It's a cast bracket) no more rattling...

Reactions: xpoweruk
Now a when you mention that I did look at mine and found the hanger you talk
About was making a strange noise, thanks defsix for the reply and I will have a look at that tomorrow

It was an annoying one, would only happen when the engine was at certain revs and had a certain load on it. Difficult to diagnose without help under the car.

Yes you were 100% right, mine was exactly the same and thanks to you I got under the car and placed some washers on the hanger, job done and no more noise.