exhaust options for 2008 Audi A5 3.0tdi

A5-MOE

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here. My names MOE, I'm 24 years old and only just brought my A5 2 months ago. I absolutely love the car but wish there was just a bit more noise from the motor.

I need your opinion on the dpf, not sure what the difference is with dpf removal and delete. I now 1 is completely removing the dpf and the other just guts out the inside. Do both options still offer the same level of noise/added performance. I'm thinking of keeping the standard exhaust and just removing the dpf for the extra noise, what do you guys think??

Thanks again

Hi m8 and welcome.
If you remove the dpf completely and replace it with a 3" pipe from say supersprint or darkside developments that will give you the most noise and performance gains. However it can be too loud and drowning which is just my opinion. When I bought my A5 the previous owner had already gutted the dpf and cat, and put it back on. When it's done properly it's hard to tell the dpf isn't still as it left the factory, as I had no idea when I bought the car that this had already been done. So anyway I have a gutted dpf and the two rear silencers have been removed ( see my build) and personally I think it sounds about right, not too loud but it lets you know it's a v6 and not a tractor ;)

Hi mate thanks for the reply. That does sound pretty awesome especially for a diesel.
How did your car sound With just the gutted dpf before you removed the two rear silencers in comparison to how it sounds now?
How loud is the car last thing I want to be doing is scaring the neighbours lol

Here's a link to a vid of mine, if it works!
It's louder under load.

Hello Moe,
To get any real noise out of the engine you need to have the DPF gutted, It really does act as quite a good silencer. If you replace the DPF with a pipe it would then fail an MOT. Gutting it means the DPF still appears to be in place so it won't fail on that.
The car needs remapping when the DPF is removed, you just can't gut it as the ECU expects to see the DPF and regenerate it. Whilst you are having the DPF removed and the car mapped you may as well have a performance map and tweak it upto 300 + bhp for some more smiles per gallon.
Have a look at my build thread Rick at Unicorn motor developments does a great job.
Diesels are never loud, mine sounds similar to Ginge 247 and I think thats about right. You can fit a Supersprint exhaust if you want loud.

Karl.

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Ginge247
Thanks for the response Karl. I would definitely have the car mapped once I've removed the dpf. I don't want the car to be too loud as i dont want to put off potential buyers when it's time to sell but at the same time I do want to hear more of that v6/grunt. I'm taking the car to a track day session soon so hopefully want to get it prepped as much as i can.
What would the noise be like if I just gut the dpf and leaving the remaining part of the exhaust the same?

Hello Moe,
To get any real noise out of the engine you need to have the DPF gutted, It really does act as quite a good silencer. If you replace the DPF with a pipe it would then fail an MOT. Gutting it means the DPF still appears to be in place so it won't fail on that.
The car needs remapping when the DPF is removed, you just can't gut it as the ECU expects to see the DPF and regenerate it. Whilst you are having the DPF removed and the car mapped you may as well have a performance map and tweak it upto 300 + bhp for some more smiles per gallon.
Have a look at my build thread Rick at Unicorn motor developments does a great job.
Diesels are never loud, mine sounds similar to Ginge 247 and I think thats about right. You can fit a Supersprint exhaust if you want loud.

Karl.

I did the other way Moe. Removed the 2 back boxes and went to straight through but left the DPF
I didn't want to start messing with the DPF for the mot etc, but i know thats the way to get the best noise from our engines.
Now its louder and a deeper noise without being intrusive. It starts to get a bit louder at 2k, especially under power and it is mapped too.

I did the other way Moe. Removed the 2 back boxes and went to straight through but left the DPF
I didn't want to start messing with the DPF for the mot etc, but i know thats the way to get the best noise from our engines.
Now its louder and a deeper noise without being intrusive. It starts to get a bit louder at 2k, especially under power and it is mapped too.

Hey Cav it does sound different but I do like the sound of that. How much bhp is your car now after its remap and is there much of a difference from before to after?

After the remap, it should be around 280bhp ish (Revo quote 280-300) and a chance that the exhaust removal added a bit too (see vid below although thats a pre DPF version).

The difference is very noticeable on this engine. It pulls from low revs right through to red line now with no 2k surge. just feels massively better all round.

Response, torque, power, pace and fun all up :racer:

Hi Guys
A bit of an update on my car, atm i have removed the 2 back boxes and put a straight pipe with customs tips on the end, their is a defininte change in exhaust note with it sounding alot more deeper.
Today however the dpf light began flashing, im not sure what my options are next. i wanted to remove the dpf but thought i would hold on abit due to finances. If the dpf light is a serious issue than im thinking of just gutting the dpf and getting it remapped.
What would the car sound like once the dpf has been gutted in normal day to day driving conditions?

Hi Guys
A bit of an update on my car, atm i have removed the 2 back boxes and put a straight pipe with customs tips on the end, their is a defininte change in exhaust note with it sounding alot more deeper.
Today however the dpf light began flashing, im not sure what my options are next. i wanted to remove the dpf but thought i would hold on abit due to finances. If the dpf light is a serious issue than im thinking of just gutting the dpf and getting it remapped.
What would the car sound like once the dpf has been gutted in normal day to day driving conditions?

It would sound better still. The purpose of the dpf isn't to deaden sound but unfortunately due to the restrictive nature of the dpf (in every way) it does flatten the sound. It wouldn't make the sound intrusive at all, will just help free up the system and allows more of the engine sound out of the pipes

Hi Guys
My video is with a gutted dpf and straight through back boxes, so it will sound like that m8. On the move it's nice subtle v6 noise. The A5 has decent soundproofing inside, it's much louder if you hear it on full beans from the outside

Thanks for that guys. I'm currently in the Manchester area, we're would you guys recommend me to go for the dpf removal/gutting and performance map? And what sort of price am i looking at?

I just drove up here from Birmingham and I absolutely love the way the car drives it's a bit of a disappointment you cant here much of that v6.

My DPF was removed and car was mapped by @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. He is based in Stockport and is a forum sponsor. Drop him a PM and tell him what you want. You won't be disappointed. The difference in performance is immense.

Karl.

I spoke to Rick over the phone before the bank holiday and he quoted me £600 for the map and dpf removal which is what I'm expecting to pay but can't book me in anytime soon as he's pre booked at least 3 weeks ahead.
However I spoke to unit 9 remapping and they quoted me 340 for dpf delete and remap which I found quite cheap. Anyone had/know of any experience with them?

Hi, my 3.0 A5 has had the DPF and rear silencers deleted. Sounds great at above around 1500-2000 rpm but during idle the exhaust makes quite a loud hissing noise. This then all of a sudden, randomly gets louder. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.