1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Manifold Removal

Sp3no82 May 14, 2018

1. Sp3no82

Sp3no82 Member

I have a leak on what I think must be my exhaust manifold, there is lots of soot around the top of the turbo and with a Cam Belt change planned for this weekend I think I'm going to address this issue at the same time.
    I have a turbo gasket set and exhaust manifold gasket but I have just read the Haynes manual on how to remove the manifold and it seems like an unnecessarily massive job. Do I need to really remove the drive shaft, I have recently fitted new hub bolts and had to borrow a 4ft wrench to do the bloody thing back up again and I don't really fancy going though all that again.
    You guys got any tips before I crack this, I'm not 100% its the manifold leaking but there is a ton of soot in that area and it sounds like a manifold leak.

2. Sygh2k

Sygh2k Member

quattro/2wd, engine info detail would help

3. Sp3no82

Sp3no82 Member

2.0tdi 170 2wd Avant manual :)

4. Sygh2k

Sygh2k Member

i dont know about the tdi but i would definetly soak bolts if theyv never been out with penetrating fluid, unforunately i have a tfsi so not much help on tdi'

5. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

You don’t need to remove the drive shaft when changing the turbo.

Could be EGR causing exhaust leak.

Removing the turbo off the 2.0TDi is a easy job.