Exhaust info help

HiddenxGulf

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope all are safe and well.

Looking at improving the sound coming from my 35 TFSI A3. I'm not expecting too loud, you can only do so much with a 1.5L 4 Cylinder.

My first question is, is it worth it?

I'm not at all fussed over power upgrades or making the car very loud, i just want to improve the tone and make it a little louder.

Has anyone swapped their A3 exhaust?

If so can you recommend system you used? (I don't mind changing the stock diffuser to accommodate split tips.) I can only find systems for the S3, I guess because not many people want systems for the A3?

Secondly, can I fit an S3 system. I know FWD and Quattro systems arent the same, but, is there anything i can do to make it fit? Does that only apply for full systems or is the entire thing different.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

If you want to do it on the cheap and have the same effect as an aftermarket exhaust, I would just take it to an exhaust fabricator like powerflow. Have them remove the center resonator for a straight pipe and put bigger tips on the end. I dont see that costing any more than £100

Failing that, I have a Milltek on my S3 and its great.

Check out Remus and Scorpion as well for other options. Powerflow or the likes could make you your own custom exhaust - had this done on our 2.0TDI Q5 when I fitted a 3.0 dual exit rear diffuser

FFF7CE7B 3826 47F4 BB93 8103014E55FC
When I had my pfl 1.8 a3 I wanted the same. I got some smaller resonators and larger tips put on. Cost me a couple hundred quid but it was exactly what I wanted. Louder and deeper tone but not too much. Dsg farts on upshift aswell

Reactions: Boydie and reefer110
View attachment 202549 When I had my pfl 1.8 a3 I wanted the same. I got some smaller resonators and larger tips put on. Cost me a couple hundred quid but it was exactly what I wanted. Louder and deeper tone but not too much. Dsg farts on upshift aswell

Hi thanks both of you.

I this this might be something i look into, do you have any suggestions as to where to look to find parts?

Do you find the sound unbearable/ annoying at times. I've seen a few video's that say a res change can create some really annoying droning noises.

since i made the post i think i might be leaning towards getting an Axle back, hopefully the muffler change will bring some decent sound improvements.

Anyway i'll keep searching,

Thanks again.

View attachment 202549 When I had my pfl 1.8 a3 I wanted the same. I got some smaller resonators and larger tips put on. Cost me a couple hundred quid but it was exactly what I wanted. Louder and deeper tone but not too much. Dsg farts on upshift aswell
Where did you get this done, might be something work looking in to.

Where did you get this done, might be something work looking in to.
A place called Fast Lane styling in Romford. Search their insta.
What actually happened was they put the smaller mufflers on but it was way to drony and they replaced them for slightly bigger ones for free and it was perfect. I kept the stock exhaust and they put it back on when I was ready to sell the car

Reactions: reefer110
A place called Fast Lane styling in Romford. Search their insta.
What actually happened was they put the smaller mufflers on but it was way to drony and they replaced them for slightly bigger ones for free and it was perfect. I kept the stock exhaust and they put it back on when I was ready to sell the car

That sounds really good to be honest. It's a shame all the places people write home about are very far away from me. Heard nothing about anyone near me its annoying.

I've been trying to look at videos of A3's with this mod done and I cant find anything, really annoying. All of the stuff i've found is for the S3.

I've done it a few months ago. I ride a 35TFSI Sportback S-line and I wanted a quad tips and a S3 diffuser. The sound was optional, but how can you change to a quad exhaust without replacing a muffler. I wanted to keep expenses as low as possible, so I put some time to research. It's not easy to find an exhaust for a 1.5 engine. This is what I've got at the end.

Diffuser - a S3 replica bought from xenonz.co.uk
Exhaust - Ulter Sport. I chose a 1.8 TFSI saloon version. The saloon tail pipes are longer, so my auto mechanic cut/re-welded the piping.
Tips - 3.5" twins from ebay (made in the UK)

The sound is, I guess, as you wish - louder than oem but not too loud, and it's deeper of course. Sexy, I'd say :) I tried to record it a few times but my phone doesn't want to record the lowest tone.

You can hear it here, just take your headphones on if you wish to hear the lower tone:

Last edited:
Reactions: KieranJ22
I've done it a few months ago. I ride a 35TFSI Sportback S-line and I wanted a quad tips and a S3 diffuser. The sound was optional, but how can you change to a quad exhaust without replacing a muffler. I wanted to keep expenses as low as possible, so I put some time to research. It's not easy to find an exhaust for a 1.5 engine. This is what I've got at the end.

Diffuser - a S3 replica bought from xenonz.co.uk
Exhaust - Ulter Sport. I chose a 1.8 TFSI saloon version. The saloon tail pipes are longer, so my auto mechanic cut/re-welded the piping.
Tips - 3.5" twins from ebay (made in the UK)

The sound is, I guess, as you wish - louder than oem but not too loud, and it's deeper of course. Sexy, I'd say :) I tried to record it a few times but my phone doesn't want to record the lowest tone.

Hi,

Really useful stuff thanks a lot.

First off really nice car, jealous of the colour. given you a follow on insta

It sounds pretty much how I want, does it pop and lift off 'fart' at all or does it just sound a bit meatier?

I'm not really bothered about quad vs Dual tips, as i said i dont mind also changing diffuser to accommodate. (on second thought i really like the quad tips you have so might do that)

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost in total, parts and labour.

Thanks again.

I didn't hear any farts, unfortunately. It's just meatier.

The end price was high because I used a lot of money on paintwork. Without that, it could be much cheaper.

The diffuser - £106
The exhaust I bought from Poland (the best price) but it was also available on ebay. You can see it here too: https://www.ultersport.co.uk/a3-typ-8v-2013-2019-48-c.asp

Cutting a pipe and re-welding it won't cost much. As I said, the most money I paid for the big quad tips that I modified and powder coated and professional painting of the diffuser.

The end price was high because I used a lot of money on paintwork. Without that, it could be much cheaper.

The diffuser - £106
The exhaust I bought from Poland (the best price) but it was also available on ebay. You can see it here too: https://www.ultersport.co.uk/a3-typ-8v-2013-2019-48-c.asp

Cutting a pipe and re-welding it won't cost much. As I said, the most money I paid for the big quad tips that I modified and powder coated and professional painting of the diffuser.

Ok thanks very much, you've been very helpful.

Reactions: dp_motley

The diffuser - £106

I wanted nano grey but couldn’t find one with the right spec, lovely colour!
I didn’t get farts on revs but I did on upshift. This may be because it was a 1.8 though. Also I thought I had slightly better pops when I was using v power fuel over standard, or it may have not made a difference at all haha

Reactions: dp_motley
I wanted nano grey but couldn’t find one with the right spec, lovely colour!
I didn’t get farts on revs but I did on upshift. This may be because it was a 1.8 though. Also I thought I had slightly better pops when I was using v power fuel over standard, or it may have not made a difference at all haha

Yeah i with i got Nano. The Mythos was just up the road and the nano i had seen had about 5k more miles and was about 70 miles from home. It's deffo a colour i want in the future.

Reactions: KieranJ22