Exclusive Colour - Long wait and affect residual values?

F

Foxtrot_Oscar

Ok, so there is a long wait for everyone placing orders and as such it gives me more time to sort out my deposit and what spec I want to go with.

Currently I am back to exclusive colour choices. The reason being that the RS model should be something special and exclusive and none of the standard colour choices or Nardo are doing it for me. I've seriously thought about Nogaro but then saw one sitting next to a Sepang (both A3 8V convertibles at dealer) and it just didn't look special enough. I have Sepang S3 8V now and I don't think I want to go the same again for the RS3.

So this brings me to the question above. To be exclusive and special requires a colour choice that is not normal (in most cases) and that stands out - and draws attention to the car. Does this affect the value of the car? Not that I buy cars to make money off them by worrying about residuals, but it does make a difference when trading up after 3 years. At the minute I am very tempted by Glut/Solar Orange with black pack, pano roof and wheels. Brave choice? What do people think? (I am waiting for my dealer to get a Catalunya Red in so I can see that in person as its a strange one to get accurate picture of, so I might change my mind yet again. There's no rush though LOL).

Y2g1
Y2g

Reactions: Andy Dilworth
I've ordered mine Solar orange!! The only colour that I wanted! Not got a build week yet, and I'm expecting delivery to be sometime around next June!

I'm not too bothered about residuals as I'll be keeping the car long term!

I've gone black pack, black wheels aswell, but no panoramic roof as I don't like how it makes the roof black and I've also kept the RS silver mirrors! :D

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
On the right type of car, an loud/unusual colour can help. My S1 for example, being the natty terrier type car that it is, attracts people that like it's bold Vegas Yellow.

The RS3 will likely attract enough 2nd hand buyers of the 'I want a mental colour' variety as well, so I'd say go with whatever colour you think looks best.

It just reminds me of a Focus ST and that's not a good thing! (that's just my opinion)

I'd love to have mine in Java green
I can't see the difference ( if any ) In lresiduels being worth not getting the colour you want

I don't think you'll see that money back at resale time + you'll also limit the potential buying audience too. Take that Porsche blue RS4, lovely colour but I wouldn't buy it.

TX.

I suppose it is similar to that tangerine scream (is that the right name?) but I like it. Just not sure if I am brave enough to stop being a sheep and move away from the obvious Sepang/Red/Grey/Black normality of an Audi. I'll probably change my mind again next week. Thanks guys.

You won't reduce its value in that colour but you will limit your potential buyers. I don't know anyone that would drive a car in bright orange by choice.

I don't know anyone that would drive a car in bright orange by choice.
Well there are two who have ordered on this very thread.
I know lot's of Audi owners are baffled by anything that's not Red, Blue or grey/back so expected some of the comments.
But thanks for your time guys.

It wasn't meant as an insult, and I am by no means back tracking... i do like it in that colour. However I wouldn't buy one in Orange. The novelty would wear off too quickly. It's just too in your face for most people. I wouldn't chose this colour for the same reason I haven't specced the red interior accents, I like it but I know I'd regret it in time.
So like I said limiting your resale market. But definitely not reducing its value. I'm sure people will say the same about my boring colour choice.
Take it however you like though!

An out there colour very much limits your potential purchaser.
Sure you'll get the same money as a run of the mill colour, but you'll have to hold out much longer to find the right buyer at the same time you are selling.

I also think it may have a detrimental affect on trade in (if that's the route you go down) if you choose the wrong colour.

Reactions: RS3 S. and T-800
Ok, so there is a long wait for everyone placing orders and as such it gives me more time to sort out my deposit and what spec I want to go with.

Currently I am back to exclusive colour choices. The reason being that the RS model should be something special and exclusive and none of the standard colour choices or Nardo are doing it for me. I've seriously thought about Nogaro but then saw one sitting next to a Sepang (both A3 8V convertibles at dealer) and it just didn't look special enough. I have Sepang S3 8V now and I don't think I want to go the same again for the RS3.

So this brings me to the question above. To be exclusive and special requires a colour choice that is not normal (in most cases) and that stands out - and draws attention to the car. Does this affect the value of the car? Not that I buy cars to make money off them by worrying about residuals, but it does make a difference when trading up after 3 years. At the minute I am very tempted by Glut/Solar Orange with black pack, pano roof and wheels. Brave choice? What do people think? (I am waiting for my dealer to get a Catalunya Red in so I can see that in person as its a strange one to get accurate picture of, so I might change my mind yet again. There's no rush though LOL).

View attachment 65371 View attachment 65372
@Foxtrot_Oscar - My thoughts ?
if you like the colour FO go for it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Don't worry about the re-sale's. Just enjoy it!

Personally, I love the orange, I'm not just 100% sure I could live with, I think! lol

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Blackwhite
@Foxtrot_Oscar - My thoughts ?
if you like the colour FO go for it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Don't worry about the re-sale's. Just enjoy it!

Personally, I love the orange, I'm not just 100% sure I could live with, I think! lol

Wow BH! It's like you read my mind. I personally don't like bright colors on
my cars. Having said that, certain colors look beautiful and the Orange is
definitely one of them. ( with Blackpak of course). :wub:

Reactions: T-800 and Bristle Hound
Next Audi will be signal green.

Reactions: T-800 and Foxtrot_Oscar
Love it! Have you got a build week for yours yet? Can't wait to see pictures so I know what mine will look like! :D
Will just have to keep pining over this rendering for the next 9 months!

Nope, no BW.

this shot from google search of an orange 8P RS3 sold it for me, looks good on the road, natural shot and lighting, no effects etc, I can live every day with it

and happily :)

2crvkgh.jpg

Reactions: Blackwhite
Nope, no BW.

this shot from google search of an orange 8P RS3 sold it for me, looks good on the road, natural shot and lighting, no effects etc, I can live every day with it

2crvkgh.jpg

Just wondering why you changed from Nardo Gray. Was it just that you
liked the Orange a lot or was it something about the Nardo?

Still love Nardo and though you could say Nardo is specific to RS models, I wanted (as F_O said in the OP) something a little more special. And it appears Nardo may be popular in the Mk2 RS3 range, so something exclusive too with Glotorange.

Yes i see a lot of ASBO Focus RS's, but I think they will look in awe at the new ASBO on the block :) and I'm quite sure, especially after a MTM upgrade, they will be left wanting... in awe :p

Outward elegance of an Audi RS3 leave Merc, Ford, VW and Honda back in the dark ages. imo.

Nope, no BW.

2crvkgh.jpg

Yep, I can live with that too! :D

Like you sat, an RS car is special and needs a special paint to make it stand out! It certainly will being orange!

Abd what's the MTM upgrade you mentioned?

Go team orange!! :D :D

Reactions: monopole
Looking at all this Orange, have to go to the fridge and eat one! :tangerine:

If your going exclusive .... is there not a colour which looks great on the car, is individual, sets it apart from regular rs3's but will not affect residuals or part ex in the future.

I do like the orange myself but not brave enough to ever have one and it is a bit shouty for me - but that's just me.

If life was all about residual value, why bother buying anything?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and R55ENS
Because some of us do think like that.

Blow enough money on cars as it is, especially if you change often.

I change more often than I know I really should so Audi already get more than enough of my money.

Have to draw the line somewhere on price so personally could not justify an exclusive colour, as much I may like one.

So car changing often I feel I have to keep a watchful on price & residuals ... as it is an expensive hobby :)

I love the lava green , polished up it is an amazing colour . Orange is nice , but Jeremy Clarkson has made it a ford colour , every time I see an Orange car I think about fords (nearly bought an Orange St once)

I had a Leon a few years ago , and when phoning around for trade in prices a lot of the garages said "is it Yellow , we are not touching the yellow ones" or words to that effect , made me think about colour more ....

If life was all about residual value, why bother buying anything?
I can't understand why people are worrying about the "residual value" on a brand new car,is someone really not gonna buy the car because in their opinion the "residual value " is low.