Excessive road noise 18" / Sport / Electronic Dampers

xpla

Reaction score
Hi,

i discussed this already in a german forum but just wanted to hear your opinion here.

Some people including me are reporting excessive road noise in the cabin due to the road surface. The car is completely silent on a high quality road surface but extremely loud the worse the surface gets. Usually it makes sense that there is more noise on a bad surface but in the A4 it is like the surface gets unfiltered in the cabin.

We discovered that especially the combination of the sport suspension with electronic dampers are prone to exhibit extrem road noise.

Don't get me wrong, i don't talk about wind insulation and i don't talk that the car is generally quite well insulated. The road noise is on sume surfaces quite unbearable and it is not owed to the fact the A4 is a quiet car.

SilentCoat-Vibro%20Damping.jpg

So you got anything with real value to add to this discussion?

You just showed that you didn't even understand what i posted.

Hi,

i discussed this already in a german forum but just wanted to hear your opinion here.

Some people including me are reporting excessive road noise in the cabin due to the road surface. The car is completely silent on a high quality road surface but extremely loud the worse the surface gets. Usually it makes sense that there is more noise on a bad surface but in the A4 it is like the surface gets unfiltered in the cabin.

We discovered that especially the combination of the sport suspension with electronic dampers are prone to exhibit extrem road noise.

Don't get me wrong, i don't talk about wind insulation and i don't talk that the car is generally quite well insulated. The road noise is on sume surfaces quite unbearable and it is not owed to the fact the A4 is a quiet car.
All cars generate more road noise on poor road surfaces but the A4 is the quietest car I have driven over all surfaces. So I cannot see the point of what this german forum is on about, perhaps a link to it might help but, out of all the forums I have read, and road tests, I have found no-one agreeing with their statement.
I once read that, on a certain german forum, the mk4 mondeo was dangerous to drive because of reflections on the inside of the drivers windows and also a build up of water. I owned one at the time any never had any issues, produced photis to proof it.
I guess it's the old saying that you can't please all people all of the time...

Last edited:
You just say it's the quitest car but i provided exact details on which this car not so quiet.

Sport Suspension, Electronic Dampers and 18"

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/lau...nza-reifen-auf-serien-alufelgen-t5734047.html

And for god's sake i'm not talking about that rough roads make noises i'm talking about that the combination of sport supsension / 18" and electronic dampers creates a feeling that there is no insulation from the road. So please if you car is doing fine with an other setup don't comment. I know that the A4 is for example quiter with 19" and normal sport supsension. There is an issue with 18" / electronic dampers. Audi won't admit but there are reports that this setup is in jeapordy to generate immense road noise in the cabin.

Sports suspension ? Would you not get a tighter version of normal suspension so get more noise ? As well as fillings falling out and feeling that the car will break when going over potholes.

No, i and the other ones in the german forum talking about like there is no insulation between road and the chassis. If you drive on the highway the sound is very loud and there's also a specific resonance frequency which is documented in the thread. It sounds like a metal in vibration.

19" / sports suspension without electronic dampers -- the car is much quieter. So i'm really looking for people who suffer from the same issue: loud road noise in the cabin with 18" / sports suspension and electronic dampers.

So in short the dampers are at fault

No fault which Audi would admit ;)

Reactions: voorhees
I’m curious why the 19s would be fine but the 18s wouldn’t? Must be some sort of resonance but then changing the drive mode to something harder or softer should change things enough to come out of the resonance window.

So off the back of that, what settings are the dampers in when this road noise is so bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So please if you car is doing fine with an other setup don't comment.
If you don’t want people with different experiences and views to comment, maybe try not posting on a discussion forum. The clue is in the name...

Reactions: RaZ A4 and cuke2u
I’m curious why the 19s would be fine but the 18s wouldn’t? Must be some sort of resonance but then changing the drive mode to something harder or softer should change things enough to come out of the resonance window.

So off the back of that, what settings are the dampers in when this road noise is so bad?

I can't tell you why the 19" are better. They just are.

The damper setting does not make a difference. Yes there's a resonance noise which was measured and graphically shown by user on the german car forum. He recorded the noises of the car and there is a spike in a specific frequency area.

But i'm glad quite none of you suffering from this issue. So Audi must have done something.

Reactions: Daggerit
If you don’t want people with different experiences and views to comment, maybe try not posting on a discussion forum. The clue is in the name...

This is the trad title:

Excessive road noise 18" / Sport / Electronic Dampers

If i wanted a discussion i would have choosen an other one. This title is more than specific.

I can't tell you why the 19" are better. They just are.

The damper setting does not make a difference. Yes there's a resonance noise which was measured and graphically shown by user on the german car forum. He recorded the noises of the car and there is a spike in a specific frequency area.

But i'm glad quite none of you suffering from this issue. So Audi must have done something.

Well I’ve got 18” winter wheels and tyres to go on so I can report back after they’ve gone on if there’s any excessive ride issues.

Hi,

Wonder how much of this is down to the tyres. I had Potenzas on my bmw f31 and found them to be very noises, noticeably more so than the contis I changed them for once worn out .

Wonder how much of this is down to the tyres. I had Potenzas on my bmw f31 and found them to be very noises, noticeably more so than the contis I changed them for once worn out .
More than likely...

More than likely...

Nope, extremely unlikely as i already tested other tires. Even the very quiet Good Year Eagle F1 Asym. 3. Which is quit like any other tire on a good surface, but exhibits the same excessive road noise und rough roads. So the tire has little to none influence. This is already a fact which my car dealer also stated.

Wow, its all a bit handbags at dawn on ere :box::cower:

Reactions: cuke2u and Kestrel
Don’t think the OP will have any more constructive replies with that tone....:sign omg:

In all fairness, it wasn’t mean or anything, just extremely blunt! A little tact may help people want to assist more in future.

That said, I don’t believe that we’ve had anyone comment on this in the forum up until now so it’s still a bit of a mystery to us at the moment.

Once I fit my 18” I’ll give feedback from the S4 adaptive suspension perspective if it might help.

Reactions: Jcbmally