Excessive brake dust

Mcdubber1

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that there is a hell of a lot of dust comes off the brakes on their B8?

Ive never had a car that produces so much brake dust and it's really annoying cos the car can look fairly clean but the wheels are bogging.

The brakes were replaced recently with genuine parts so it's not as if it's cheap crap parts that are the problem.

I think my mates car may be the same but it's harder to tell cos his wheels are black.

Mine is exactly the same
Anyone know what brand of pads they use ?

I don't know what brand the OEM kit is but EBC advertise that their Redstuff pads produce significantly less dust but I unfortunately have no experience with them so can't comment first hand. Maybe worth looking into or seeing if there's someone who has used them before to ask?

I get the same issue but ive done 40,000 miles and im jo where near wearing mine out yet.

Mine is also pretty shocking. Don't know if it's worse being an auto as you are on off the brakes more but they are currently not far off black on the fronts after a very recent decent wash wax session.

Seem to remember a few years ago you could buy like plastic discs to shield the wheels from brake dust?? I would consider these as the car always looks unloved with mucky wheels.

Mine is also pretty shocking. Don't know if it's worse being an auto as you are on off the brakes more but they are currently not far off black on the fronts after a very recent decent wash wax session.

Seem to remember a few years ago you could buy like plastic discs to shield the wheels from brake dust?? I would consider these as the car always looks unloved with mucky wheels.
Yea, even on the smaller, lighter A3 I get the same & have put it down to it being an auto..

I had some of those dust shields on a previous motor yonks ago, the problem with them was they blocked ventilation & caused your brakes to overheat whenever you partook in a little 'spirited' driving - not funny when you really need to stop quickly. :racer: