EVO'S

missviper

Reaction score
Maybe not what you all are thinking but Evo's are definately subzero to me.
And are so cool in yellow!

IMG_0702.jpg

I love them all especially the Tommi Makinen edition

Ess_Three said:
I also question how cool they look parked in the 'ring car park, bonnets open, steam spewing out, brakepads on fire after a 'hot lap'
Same with the Subarus...

They don't look very cool then...

Never seen any Evo's sat in the public car park of the ring in that state, plenty of Imprezas but never any Mitsubishis.

Take your point about what's cool though, I guess I do prize engineering above all else.

Mandala said:
Never seen any Evo's sat in the public car park of the ring in that state, plenty of Imprezas but never any Mitsubishis.

I have...
One of out group at our last visit was in an Evo...sat steaming, brakes on fire after a hot lap.

Take your point about what's cool though, I guess I do prize engineering above all else.

Don't get me wrong...engineering is impressive, but engineering doesn't equate to soul, or coolness.
A Mercedes S Class is an engineering marvel...but it's not cool.

Ess_Three said:
What's cool about it?

It looks awful...it cripples the owners with it's running costs...it's thrown together with nasty materials...and it's a favourite with the Chavs...
Cool?
I think not.

As an engineering project it's very impressive...but that doesn't make it cool.

I personally don't think you need a higher than average driving level to go very fast indeed in one..any Muppet can drive one...and drive one faster than they've ever driven before....because the car is sooooo good and does it all for you.

But see past the lift off oversteer induced power-slide...and it's a one-trick pony. You wouldn't pick one as an everyday car as they are too ****** stiff...at less than 8/10ths they just don't make sense.

Not cool.
Impressive...but impressive is not equal to cool.

Yes anyone can drive one fast, but how many drive one fast with out crashing?? LOL!!!!

Bah what a load of baloney. Cool is what you get with the Evo. Look at the Evo X now that is just sub zero. For quality footage just watch Taxi 2 with the 3 x Black Evos; now that does look cool...frankly I'm shivvering.

I posted this Sat. on the "Enough of the modern supercars!" post and I think it needs to be aired here as well.

NO an EVO of any number isn't cool. It doesn't matter what number they get to, how many films they're in or how many are in the film. THEY AREN'T COOL. Fact.

"What can I say? :sadlike:

The Citroen SM has the greater amount of votes for un-cool and the EVO's poll has the greater amount for cool and some for sub zero!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS?

Am I getting it wrong, or is this a COOL wall. If so ugly, soulless, capable Japanese cars are not cool. The SM, DS etc. are cool regardless of the speed they go in a straight line or around corners.

Cool is an aesthetic, attitude, behaviour, appearance and style NOT speed, acceleration or lap time of the nordschleife ring.

Cool just is. :shrug:

Thank God for the new Citroen C6. Finally, a car mfr that understands style and elegance and is prepared to produce something other than a standard, boring Euro box.

OK Rant over."

dkelly said:
I posted this Sat. on the "Enough of the modern supercars!" post and I think it needs to be aired here as well.

NO an EVO of any number isn't cool. It doesn't matter what number they get to, how many films they're in or how many are in the film. THEY AREN'T COOL. Fact.

"What can I say? :sadlike:

The Citroen SM has the greater amount of votes for un-cool and the EVO's poll has the greater amount for cool and some for sub zero!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS?

Am I getting it wrong, or is this a COOL wall. If so ugly, soulless, capable Japanese cars are not cool. The SM, DS etc. are cool regardless of the speed they go in a straight line or around corners.

Cool is an aesthetic, attitude, behaviour, appearance and style NOT speed, acceleration or lap time of the nordschleife ring.

Cool just is. :shrug:

Thank God for the new Citroen C6. Finally, a car mfr that understands style and elegance and is prepared to produce something other than a standard, boring Euro box.

OK Rant over."

Aren't cool my **** and you say a piece of french Citroen crap is cool? Blimey do you tuck your tie into your trousers and wear white socks

Anyway your 'cool' words:

aesthetic: pertaining to a sense of the beautiful
attitude: expressive of an action
behaviour: manner of behaving or acting
appearance: the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public
style:a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action

Sounds just like an Evo to me..pure coolness

Whilst your 'uncool' words sounds just like a Citreon..ugly and souless but capable to an onion seller.

jesters3 said:
Aren't cool my **** and you say a piece of french Citroen crap is cool? Blimey do you tuck your tie into your trousers and wear white socks

Anyway your 'cool' words:

aesthetic: pertaining to a sense of the beautiful
attitude: expressive of an action
behaviour: manner of behaving or acting
appearance: the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public
style:a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action

Sounds just like an Evo to me..pure coolness

Whilst your 'uncool' words sounds just like a Citreon..ugly and souless but capable to an onion seller.

are we still on this subject....

they are uncool, now thats the end of it :moa:

Yes, uncool for sure!
Who cares about the performance when they look so vulgar

You cannot engineer prestige, heritage and soul into a plastic fantastic jap box. In-fact im struggling to think of a jap car which borders on cool? '67Toyota 2000GT perhaps? Lets see

Citroen DS defines cool BTW!

Well seeing as tho i've just bought a 99T Evo 5 i have to say they're sub zero;)

Oh & i don't wear burberry of any kind & saying they're chav mobiles is rubbish. Chavs can't afford to run them

Group 20 insurance, i pay £900, i'm 33 with 8yrs NCB, car has cat 1, tracker & is garaged & will do roughly 5k per yr.

Chavs certainly can't afford 99.9p p/ltr of S/U especially when car does average of 20mpg. Then there's the service every 4k or so @ £210. If driven like a psycho with full on launches on a regular basis then there's also the cost of replacing clutch & flywheel every couple of months at £1k a pop.

If people say they're uncool then who cares. The important thing is that the people who ACTUALLY matter, ie, the OWNERS, like them;)

I personally wouldn't buy an Audi cos all they say to me is "snotty c*nt in a suit owns this car!!" Especially with the newer models but that doesn't mean i don't like them. My g/f has an A3 & it's a well put together car with plenty of comfort etc which is just what she like.

Me personally i like a car that as soon as people see it in their rear view mirror on the m/way they get the hell out of the way:)

I don't thrash it everywhere i go, not cos of running costs cos i said to hell with running costs, i just love this car & it doesn't need to be thrashed to be appreciated for what it is. It gets more attention & gawps than any other car i've had even when just tootling along through the nearby villages on way to work.

Then when i feel the devil inside screaming to get out i just switch the boost conrtoller into high boost mode then let it rip.

They do EXACTLY what they're designed to do & more so to me that's cool. I'm not as keen on the newer models, like the 7 & 8. They look too toned down for what type of car they're meant to be. It's as if Mitsubishi said that they needed to make them more subtle. So they just look like a normal 4dr car with a huge spoiler on the back.

A lad at work has got a yellow 53 plate Evo 8 fq300. Everybody says it looks plain next to mine

The 6 is my fave but opted for the nice 1 owner & imported from new, low mileage, FSH & loads of extra goodies Evo 5 that i got 2 weeks ago. I could have got a 6 for the same £ but it would have prob had 4-5 owners & sketchy history. Mint 1 owner Evo 6s go for silly money, especially the 6 TME. i've still seen them for £15k which is mad cos i nearly bought a 7 for £11k.

Anyways, peoples tastes are different, which is good cos otherwise we'd all be driving around in the same cars.

Oh & 1 last thing. The japs seem to be doing a better job of reliability these days than most. Shame the interiors don't look as good as say an Audi for example

Craig:cool

had an fq340 up me **** and couldn't get away from him afterwards checked the stats and my pesky S3 was 160 bhp per ton and his was 266!!!
cool,its sound as it went past me was a gigantic lion roaring
PS I am a hairy ***** welder so no suit in sight

voorhees said:
had an fq340 up me **** and couldn't get away from him afterwards checked the stats and my pesky S3 was 160 bhp per ton and his was 266!!!
cool,its sound as it went past me was a gigantic lion roaring
PS I am a hairy ***** welder so no suit in sight

I know you're not all "snotty c*nts in suits!!";)

In high boost setting my Evo runs between 350-360bhp & low it's around 320bhp. Getting it dyno'd as soon as i've serviced it in next couple of weeks. Had aplay with a TVR Griffith 500 last Saturday morning. Wasn't a grat deal in it on the straights but boy did i spank him on the twisties. I was behind him with a safe gap as i'd noticed his rear getting a bit twitchy.

He backed off on the 2 lane m/way roundabout & i just shot passed him in the other lane then by the time i'd gotten onto the m/way he was only half way up the slip road. It's surprising how much more speed you can gain exiting the corners compared to other cars.

Mate of mine have just bought an RS6!! What a beast that is. He says it's great for the m/ways etc but not a patch in the A road blasting as the M3 SMG he trading in for it

Craig:cool:

I went to donington the other week and an Evo driver was a bit amazed at his 4.5 mpg !!!!

voorhees said:
I went to donington the other week and an Evo driver was a bit amazed at his 4.5 mpg !!!!

I take it he hadn't been doing 56mph in 5th gear then!!:) Prob 99% of people do a lot of research when they buy Evo so know what to expect if they track the car etc

I managed 24mpg last week. It included varied driving. Some steady some with the pedal to the metal. As much as i hate working the shift pattern i do it's good for the car.

There's usually hardly any other road users when i'm on my way to & from work so i can either have a nice steady drive during the 14 mile of mway & A roads i use so i get a good mpg or a i can nail it all the way & not have to worry about tractors etc doing 20mph with a 2 mile tailback behind them;)

If i really wanna make use of the steady driving & get good mpg i just use my 1.1 Fiesta for work:)

Craig:cool:

voorhees said:

Bizarre!

My Integra Type-R used to do 8MPG round Knockhill...
But my C4S does 18.x round the 'ring (with all it's flat out sections)...

craigynett said:
Well seeing as tho i've just bought a 99T Evo 5 i have to say they're sub zero;)

Oh & i don't wear burberry of any kind & saying they're chav mobiles is rubbish. Chavs can't afford to run them

Group 20 insurance, i pay £900, i'm 33 with 8yrs NCB, car has cat 1, tracker & is garaged & will do roughly 5k per yr.

Chavs certainly can't afford 99.9p p/ltr of S/U especially when car does average of 20mpg. Then there's the service every 4k or so @ £210. If driven like a psycho with full on launches on a regular basis then there's also the cost of replacing clutch & flywheel every couple of months at £1k a pop.

If people say they're uncool then who cares. The important thing is that the people who ACTUALLY matter, ie, the OWNERS, like them;)

I personally wouldn't buy an Audi cos all they say to me is "snotty c*nt in a suit owns this car!!" Especially with the newer models but that doesn't mean i don't like them. My g/f has an A3 & it's a well put together car with plenty of comfort etc which is just what she like.

Me personally i like a car that as soon as people see it in their rear view mirror on the m/way they get the hell out of the way:)

I don't thrash it everywhere i go, not cos of running costs cos i said to hell with running costs, i just love this car & it doesn't need to be thrashed to be appreciated for what it is. It gets more attention & gawps than any other car i've had even when just tootling along through the nearby villages on way to work.

Then when i feel the devil inside screaming to get out i just switch the boost conrtoller into high boost mode then let it rip.

They do EXACTLY what they're designed to do & more so to me that's cool. I'm not as keen on the newer models, like the 7 & 8. They look too toned down for what type of car they're meant to be. It's as if Mitsubishi said that they needed to make them more subtle. So they just look like a normal 4dr car with a huge spoiler on the back.

A lad at work has got a yellow 53 plate Evo 8 fq300. Everybody says it looks plain next to mine

The 6 is my fave but opted for the nice 1 owner & imported from new, low mileage, FSH & loads of extra goodies Evo 5 that i got 2 weeks ago. I could have got a 6 for the same £ but it would have prob had 4-5 owners & sketchy history. Mint 1 owner Evo 6s go for silly money, especially the 6 TME. i've still seen them for £15k which is mad cos i nearly bought a 7 for £11k.

Anyways, peoples tastes are different, which is good cos otherwise we'd all be driving around in the same cars.

Oh & 1 last thing. The japs seem to be doing a better job of reliability these days than most. Shame the interiors don't look as good as say an Audi for example

Craig:cool

So cool you'ver had to bang on for 2 pages to justify it :moa:

Only joking mate, nice car just not my cup 'o' tea n what does you mate know about cars buying spakatronics!

well what can i say!
worked for VW/Audi for 30 yrs and yes they have impressive build quality BUT!
I run a Evo6 Tommi Makinen 360 bhp mild mods
ok the trim is not as good as VW/Audi but the car is phenominal in every other respect
everyone gets out of your way when you come up behind them unless its a A3 tdi then they want to race you (i still laugh when i think about it)
no im not a chav thats Subaru owners and the younger VW owner

Reactions: JonDogg
In most peoples eyes, evo's are uncool. Like most high powered jap machines, they are only cool within the enthusiasts eyes, too everybody else, you just look like a nobber.

It's a shame they wernt styled as well as they perform.

ive been luckey and have owned 3 subarus and 1 evo and as most people who have owned both will say evo for a quick blast but a subaru to live with day to day BUT evos dont last and subaru DO anyone that say diffrent is wrong lots of my friends have had evos 5-4 and 7s and all had to be rebuilt running the same bhp as my subaru 403.9bhp was the best mine made and thats at the wheels and it never missed a beat . they are both cool to an 18 year old but im the wrong side of 30 so i dont need to be looked by chavs but saying that my girlfriend had a moded subaru wrx wagon

sorry but Evo is cooler than any subaru, reliability there or not..... sadly for their extremely impressive performance, they are just not the next 911 or RS4. The car is uncool due to its reputation, awful interior and 4 pots... They do a job very well, but they are not unique, they are superb cars at the end of a long list of similar superb family sports cars... therefore they are NOT cool

Love to drive evo's on track days and the such like but not a fan of the way they look, wouldnt have one for everyday use

I own an evo 6 gsr in dark blue, they are not uncool!!!!!!!!

they are without a doubt one of the funnest cars to drive, everytime i go out i get a smile on my face! mine is slightly tune
dand handles super well :)

evo > scooby anyday, haven driven both years and similar engine, the build quality and interiour of evos are so much better. They engine and chassis on the scooby is **** compared to the evos.

Evos are the best bang for buck car you can buy.

Ok build quality ain't Audi, but who cares? They ain't built like that.

Here's mine :)

DSC_0249-1.jpg

DSC_0260-1.jpg

DSC_0256-1.jpg

everyone keeps saying 'best bang for buck' 'funnest thing to drive' 'so tuneable' 'amazing handling' 'quick as ****' 'built well'

that is not the question.

its all of the above. but it isnt cool.

only people that find them cool are young lads that go to car meets at macdonalds and want every turbo car they own to make a 'WOOOSSSHHH'

everyone keeps saying 'best bang for buck' 'funnest thing to drive' 'so tuneable' 'amazing handling' 'quick as ****' 'built well'

that is not the question.

its all of the above. but it isnt cool.

only people that find them cool are young lads that go to car meets at macdonalds and want every turbo car they own to make a 'WOOOSSSHHH'

That's me then, I'm 23. Love doing 8mpg around my local mc d's...