Evo's first review of the FL RS3 SB

I'd actually just spec the sportback with better wheels, black styling pack and super sports seats and get an aftermarket exhaust. As was the dynamic pack not 1,700 the last time? Frankly don't care about adaptive chassis control between comfort etc
Fraser, dynamic pack is a must. It's like an aftermarket exhaust anyway, you're getting the magnetic ride and superior resale value.

Reactions: deanshaw24, Snake Pliskin and Radman
Fraser, dynamic pack is a must. It's like an aftermarket exhaust anyway, you're getting the magnetic ride and superior resale value.

Yeh, just don't think I'd use magnetic ride. I have the R on 19s and it's permanently in race mode, but if it effects re sale like you say, it's an option il have to tick. An expensive box at that!

Just desperate for Audi to release the price so I can work out if it's affordable or not. Was even contemplating taking it at say 600 a month and over paying say a few months down the line, like throw a grand at it, to bring payments down. Hmmmm

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I might just spec ceramic brakes next time & blow my extras budget on that alone :)

What.....!!!!! You got a race track oot yer back door like....lol
Last thing l would have on my car woulds be these.....far too expensive....and over the top you dont see the money in them but l suppose they have MEGA Bragging rights....lol

My Nirvana Spec....RS3.
Exclusive colour.
Pano-roof.
Diamond cut alloys "Saloon type"
Privacy.
Folding door Mirrors.
SS seats.
Bang & Olufsen.
Dynamic Pack.
Exterior Styling pack.

No fancy screen saver,Audi have deleted the Technology package for the S3,You can only get the Technology package advanced now and no doubt this will apply to the RS3 aswell

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yeh, just don't think I'd use magnetic ride. I have the R on 19s and it's permanently in race mode, but if it effects re sale like you say, it's an option il have to tick. An expensive box at that!

Just desperate for Audi to release the price so I can work out if it's affordable or not. Was even contemplating taking it at say 600 a month and over paying say a few months down the line, like throw a grand at it, to bring payments down. Hmmmm

You'll need a good sized deposit to keep below £600 a month

Reactions: Radman

A proper custom exhaust will be a lot of money. And not much better than the Audi's sports exhaust. It really is the best noise this side of £100k!

Reactions: Radman
A proper custom exhaust will be a lot of money. And not much better than the Audi's sports exhaust. It really is the best noise this side of £100k!

No way....you heard that new Alfa....Quadrifoglio ...its off the the scale

Reactions: PanamaS3 and BarryG79
No way....you heard that new Alfa....Quadrifoglio ...its off the the scale
You know the RS3 engine is half a R8 engine fella ;) p*sses on the V6 in the Alfa.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Radman
Really. Damn. Had 3.5k maybe 4K to put down. Was thinking 600 was fair. Maybe it's an S5 then :(

You'll be a bit short I reckon. But don't get an S5. Budget another £100 and you might be ok. If not, get a nice pre-FL. I don't regret getting mine...it feels a special car, and I've had a few nice ones over the years.

Reactions: Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
You'll be a bit short I reckon. But don't get an S5. Budget another £100 and you might be ok. If not, get a nice pre-FL. I don't regret getting mine...it feels a special car, and I've had a few nice ones over the years.

Even over four years and 5k miles a year? Damn. Dads mate at Audi would give me a good deal so hoping I could manage 600. Don't want to stretch myself too far.

There's no other car I want. S3 no. Fl golf r no. M240 no. A45 maybe, new one in 2018. 440i hmmmm. Really need an rs3 to work or it's the S5.

Reactions: deanshaw24, Jassyo06 and Radman
Even over four years and 5k miles a year? Damn. Dads mate at Audi would give me a good deal so hoping I could manage 600. Don't want to stretch myself too far.

There's no other car I want. S3 no. Fl golf r no. M240 no. A45 maybe, new one in 2018. 440i hmmmm. Really need an rs3 to work or it's the S5.
Looking 7ish down on 45k

What.....!!!!! You got a race track oot yer back door like....lol
Last thing l would have on my car woulds be these.....far too expensive....and over the top you dont see the money in them but l suppose they have MEGA Bragging rights....lol

My Nirvana Spec....RS3.
Exclusive colour.
Pano-roof.
Diamond cut alloys "Saloon type"
Privacy.
Folding door Mirrors.
SS seats.
Bang & Olufsen.
Dynamic Pack.
Exterior Styling pack.

No fancy screen saver,Audi have deleted the Technology package for the S3,You can only get the Technology package advanced now and no doubt this will apply to the RS3 aswell

That's a nice spec & close to mine minus pano roof ... I would like one but OCD about rattles which annoy me puts me off.

I have to spec mono pur too ... it just adds a touch of class to otherwise horrible dull pieces of plastic - it should be inclusive, but it's not.

I would want the virtual cockpit, I like it & at least it would look different to what I have now so it would feel 'new'.

Agree on the alloys.

I was sportback all the way but now I'm torn, the saloon does look damn good.

Ceramics was a semi-serious joke tbh, due to the brake issues I've endured the last year with the standard brakes ... I've got the new circular 'optimised' discs fitted now, which feel MUCH better than the terrible wavy discs but there is some occasional squeal still. Dependent on how these new brakes work out will 100% affect my decision to buy another RS3 or not. They appear to be the same as on the TTRS and FL RS3 so we'll see. Hopefully they will be fine.

Otherwise will be S4/S5 or if I can stretch to one an RS5 next time.

Reactions: Jassyo06
You know the RS3 engine is half a R8 engine fella ;) p*sses on the V6 in the Alfa.

TX.

Aye but the Alfa is 6/8th's of a Ferrari engine with 500bhp+ and 4 doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Terminator x

TX.

Thought highly of your opinion until this post mate...lol....Retort...Pants

Reactions: Terminator x
To be fair, that looks a great motor. Just don't keep hold of it past its manufacturers rust warranty... ;)

Because that's what you say when you put your foot down?

6d7ea34b426ea78b312d8c76b34f57fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: D0C
This article confuses me as they say that "The car comes with passive dampers as standard but adaptive items – or Audi Magnetic Ride – can be specified."
I thought the FL RS3 came with magnetic ride as standard and you then had to pay extra to get a new fixed RS "performance" suspension??
Can anyone confirm this?
Also the article doesn't speak much about how they felt it drove....did they actually drive it?? If so, they failed to go into much detail....seems like just tweaked press release gumpf to get early sales....
I am gonna wait until people have driven it in real world and get first impressions on different suspensions, how well it handles etc. before jumping ship...

Reactions: Radman and Jassyo06
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/audi-rs3-sportback-2017-review

Autocar now have a dedicated SB review. I think that they are optimistic at £41k.

Just glanced through this weeks Autocar mag,they have a review of the RS3 Saloon...didnt read there review, but there estimated price is £47k,you got to seriously ask yourself is a A3....a.... A3....***, WORTH this without any toys.......at all,so in the space of 2 years with a addition of a boot and 40 bhp the car price has jumped £7000 and to be honest, l think there estimate is bang on the money.....pardon the pun....lol

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Radman
This article confuses me as they say that "The car comes with passive dampers as standard but adaptive items – or Audi Magnetic Ride – can be specified."
I thought the FL RS3 came with magnetic ride as standard and you then had to pay extra to get a new fixed RS "performance" suspension??
Can anyone confirm this?
Also the article doesn't speak much about how they felt it drove....did they actually drive it?? If so, they failed to go into much detail....seems like just tweaked press release gumpf to get early sales....
I am gonna wait until people have driven it in real world and get first impressions on different suspensions, how well it handles etc. before jumping ship...

Hi pal no the sportback doesnt but going by the £47k rumoured price for the FL RS3 Saloon it ****** better have and more

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Radman
10-20hp more @jassy006 ;)

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Beebee-one
Hi pal no the sportback doesnt but going by the £47k rumoured price for the FL RS3 Saloon it ****** better have and more
Magride has taken a lot of heat from people who like to drive the previous model harder....so unless they have now tweaked the whole setup to be what it should have been then its going to be a dilemma for more performance orientated drivers to stay with it and maybe upgrade springs to (say) MSS kit....or pony up for the upgraded fixed suspension which sounds like its good for good roads/track....but I will be really disappointed to hear that the magride still sucks for people that want the options (if indeed its at all possible)

What stick has mag ride had?
I love it and my car spends most time on back roads being enjoyed mag ride works amazingly well much better than bmw adaptive and VW chassis control

Reactions: Terminator x and Radman
The TTRS l drove didnt have magnetic dampers, the suspension was compromised meaning it felt rock hard most of the time,but on 2 ocassion's l did notice that indigenous Audi bounce on some undulating road surfaces,whether magnetic dampers eradicates this l dont know?

What stick has mag ride had?
I love it and my car spends most time on back roads being enjoyed mag ride works amazingly well much better than bmw adaptive and VW chassis control
yaaarr....think i may have come across as a bit of **** there with those comments :scared2::grimacing::laughing:....think its more the S3 with heavy criticism....anywayz glad to hear you like it, and from what I've been reading about the new RS3 sounds good so far....and I look forward to reading the first customers reviews

No you were fine man was just interested. Is the s3 mag ride different to the Rs3 in a big way I wonder?

No you were fine man was just interested. Is the s3 mag ride different to the Rs3 in a big way I wonder?
not sure....i thought it was....but seems its mostly S3 owners (pre-facelift) not being happy with magride...and I suspect these same people are the ones who push the car the most....anyway, it seems facelift models have been upgraded in quite a few ways to the good going off past complaints so if I am lucky enough to be able to get an RS3 sedan I think it will be the step up I'm looking for

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Spaceman_RS3
I'm also in the mag ride is great camp!

TX.

Reactions: Radman and Spaceman_RS3
I'm somewhere in between on mag ride.
To me it feels pretty rock hard even in comfort.
I say this as I have some pretty harsh speed bumps on our estate and I have to slow to an absolute crawl in the RS3 to go over them.
The misses has a S Line TT with 19" rims and I can hit the bumps MUCH faster in the TT and that suspension is by no means soggy lol.
In fact of all the previous cars I have had, the RS3 has the firmest suspension.
Day to day it is fine for driving don't get me wrong, but on uneven surfaces or speed bumps you do need to go insanely slow.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and PanamaS3
Firm in comfort, what are you like Snake!!

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Spaceman_RS3
I find the suspension on the firm side. I went up a kerb to park the other day. I went up it nice and slow and it still pinched the tyre and put the tiniest mark on the wheel. First mark on a wheel in 10yrs... I wasn't happy!

Reactions: PanamaS3
Firm in comfort, what are you like Snake!!

TX.

It is lol :)
I had an A7 the other week shod with 21" rims and I could cruise over the speed bumps with ease in that pup :)
The RS3 is fine day to day, but you try going over 6 speed humps in & out of your estate every day & you'll know about it :yes:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and PanamaS3
it must be very hard, nay impossible, to have a suspension set up to cater for all in mass production....but with what they are offering now on facelift versions it seems they may be covering the bases a lot better for all tastes.....so can't wait to read some comparisons of the two options :racer:

it must be very hard, nay impossible, to have a suspension set up to cater for all in mass production....but with what they are offering now on facelift versions it seems they may be covering the bases a lot better for all tastes.....so can't wait to read some comparisons of the two options :racer:

Magride doesnt fully eradicate the S3's bounce effect,but magride is a overall far firmer ride...lol but with far less bounce,Audi's are designed for German/European roads and not British roads,as l said before l encountered the bounce effect in the TTRS...it didnt have magride....

Reactions: Snake Pliskin