Evo or not to Evo that is the question

StephenBogan

Reaction score
I took a test drive in an Evo6 Rallyart yesterday. Oh dear, shouldn't have done that. I now have the bug for a new car. Having a 6 week old baby and 3 doors is becoming more of a pain every time we go out where the 'practicality' of a 4dr Evo would be very handy, not to mension the thing when like a bullet.

It was a 2000W UK car for just over £15000 but sold shortly after I left the garage. Is this a sign it wasn't ment to be??

I know they arn't great inside but holey [censored] they go! Could you ever get an S3 to go that well with out spending crazy cash?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not to Evo, unless you've won the lottery or have shares in Shell Optimax.

Used to drive one for 6 months or so, just a standard 6 and jez it was awesome the traction, the cornering, the pace, the acceleration, the braking, the steering feel, the backend, the active YAW control, the snick snick gearbox all were mindblowingly outstanding, would definitly recommend it to people serious on buying a car like that.

However with a 45ltr tank which equates to 140 miles or 80miles on a hard run it got annoyingly expensive as you filled up with Super and trying to find Super out in wales was not amusing!! The servicing and tyres were a pain, if you are doing the mileage or everyday travelling the miles do tot up and with a service every 4500 it became a bit too frequent. Then there are the tyres, jesus, must have gone through 2 or 3 sets in the months I had her and at £100ish a shoe it was cruicfing. Plus and finally when I did the diff (oops) the cost the the part and fix was about £4000.00

I guess with an S3 you would have to spend a quite a bit to get it into Evo territory. How about an S4 instead? 4 door, Quattro, bi-turbo, remap to 300+hp, pick up at @ 15K

I'm with Jester... they are incredibly expensive to keep.

Got a mate whoose got one at the moment and its costing him a fortune.. on top of the servicing ( every 4K roughly) you've got the really expensive parts.. and thats not mentioning the insurance which is just silly..

Yes you probably won't get a quicker for the money .. but you'll be paying through the nose for it for the next year...

Incidentally hes had his for 8 months and hes now looking at getting shot of it for an S3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They drink like there is no tomorrow and they shift like it too.

Nice car but expensive to run!

Oh dear. This is all I've been hearing to be honest. Clutches, diffs, petrol expenses and now just found out about the servicing!

Hmmmmm....S3= service every 19K Evo6= service every 4.5K?!?

I do 20~25K a year that would add up to £1475! (given the service is the same cost as the S3 £295).

Oh well, maybe the pipe dream is over.

Think I'll live with the 3dr and wait to see what happens with this 3" downpipe!

Thanks very much for the educated and very much needed responce guys! Looks like I'll be hanging around here for a bit longer!

Personally, I think you should be locked up for cruelty to children, if you even think about taking your 6 week old in an Evo6.
The ride quality (Ahem!) is appaling and not fair on a baby....6 week old neck muscles aren't up to the job!

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:
[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
I do 20~25K a year that would add up to £1475! (given the service is the same cost as the S3 £295).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'll be a lot more than 300 quid a service for the major ones.. especially if you get em done at Mitsuibishi..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it was never pretty when the bill came through the average was £375.00 + brake pads every 8k!!

Ok! Ok! I ain't forking out that sort of cash! Just makes me apprecaite the S3 even more, great performance, reliability even though the service schdueles are so infrequent! As they say in Scotland "Ye Cannae wack it"

Evo or not to Evo? Not to Evo! The S will live to cruise another day!

Thanks for all the info guys, much needed.

PS: Thanks on behalf of Julie, my very patient partner who hates them anyway!!

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

PS: Thanks on behalf of Julie, my very patient partner who hates them anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif Just what my missus said when I had it, hence why I went from S3 to Evo to S3.

If I remember rightly when my Uncle was looking at getting an Evo 8 FQ300. The dealer told him to expect to change the clutch every 20K (£1K), service every 4K and expect it to drink the old "Go Go" juice like there's no tomorrow.

Not really an option when he does 250+ Miles a week.

If I could I would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jesterS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Was an awesome car though, 0-100 in 10 secs, full tank of optimax = 160 miles range. At least I've driven one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone whose driven an Evo 4/5/6 should /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I can if I want...like many others. But wouldn't...

****** awful things...sure they are great for the few moments you want to drive at 11/10ths...but the rest of the time...yeuck!!

The running costs / repair bills are a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I can if I want...like many others. But wouldn't...

****** awful things...sure they are great for the few moments you want to drive at 11/10ths...but the rest of the time...yeuck!!

The running costs / repair bills are a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from the drive, ownership isn't too great neither. You get seriouly paranoid, constantly looking over your shoulder whilst driving and seriously worried wherever you park... even whens it's in your garage.

Guy at work bought an Evo 6 a few months back, and we all said to him he wouldn't be able to afford to run it as he must do at least 500 miles a week.

Three months down the line he's still got the Evo, but he comes to work in the other halfs 1.2 Corsa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif His other half now uses it to do the shopping in (apparently she hasn't reversed into anything or curbed it yet, but i don't believe that for a second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and he gets to drive it at weekends.

running cost would not worry me so msuh as you pay for what performance you get but the look of it will always keep me from touching it
So IMHO no Evo

Yeah it is a shame about the Evo. Such an awesome car but too many negatives.

Scotsthree what stats you pushing out at the mo, you seem to have a good set-up for your S3 in your signature. Will the Samco make a lot more difference to what you have?

Well, ok you know what I mean... Attainable performance cars.

My dream car would have to be a 911 turbo, the shape that was made upto around 98R I think, the one out of Bad Boys.

Slightly off topic, back to Audi Stuff....