ET dimensions for the Audi RS3 standard 8.0J wheels and/or the optional 8.5J wheel

Does anyone know if any coding of the ABS module is required for the wider 255/30/19 front tyres? My car is with Audi having 4 x new rotors fitted wider at the front with wider tyres and the dealer dont know. They have asked the factory in Germany but they are slow in coming back with a response and I need the car back today.

If coding of the ABS module is required does anyone have the coding with 235/35/19 and 255/30/19 front tyres please?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that this 'option' was NOT offered here in the UK, European spec' cars ONLY, so maybe why local UK dealer are having difficulty? :readit:

Thanks for the reply 45bvtc don't you have this option on your car, do you know if any coding was done to the ABS module?

It looks as though this option was offered at a very late stage probably after most cars had already been ordered and maybe even delivered I know I would have gone for it given the option. It is in the last RS3 UK brochure dated August 2012 still available online page 24 if you are interested.

https://www.m25audi.co.uk/pdfs/RS3-Brochure.pdf

Thanks for the reply 45bvtc don't you have this option on your car, do you know if any coding of the ABS module was done?

I think it may have been offered as an option on the late RS3's probably after most of us had ordered and maybe even taken delivery as it is in the last RS3 UK brochure dated August 2012 still available online with a quick search.

Thanks for the reply 45bvtc don't you have this option on your car, do you know if any coding of the ABS module was done?

I think it may have been offered as an option on the late RS3's probably after most of us had ordered and maybe even taken delivery as it is in the last RS3 UK brochure dated August 2012 still available online with a quick search.

1) YES, but I retro fitted; mine is one of the first RS3 cars delivered here in the UK.

2) No re-coding of the ABS was/is required as it was an option, see the standard tyre size/pressure data label, and I go back to using 8J wheels with 235s front and rear in winter anyway.

3) The 2012 RS3 UK sales brochure I have does not list the 8.5J front wheel for a UK supplied RS3.

4) All said, I do like the (summer) 8.5J wheels and tyres on my own RS3.

OK thanks for the info hopefully Audi will pull their finger out and realise this and I'll get the car back today.

3 days to fit 4 wheels and tyres isn't funny.

1) YES, but I retro fitted; mine is one of the first RS3 cars delivered here in the UK.

2) No re-coding of the ABS was/is required as it was an option, see the standard tyre size/pressure data label, and I go back to using 8J wheels with 235s front and rear in winter anyway.

3) The 2012 RS3 UK sales brochure I have does not list the 8.5J front wheel for a UK supplied RS3.

4) All said, I do like the (summer) 8.5J wheels and tyres on my own RS3.

the 8.5J fronts where an option on my second car, which i ticked, perversely tire pressure warning was not available but was for my first car ???

Audi factory in Germany confirmed no ABS coding was required for the 8.5J 255/30/19 fronts as stated by 45bvtc. I have only driven the car across Central London so far but initial impressions are much more grip which seems to help initial acceleration a little, a bit more weight to the steering which I also like and it doesn't seem to make the ride much more harsh so very happy so far.

I didn't think TPMS was ever an option on the RS3 which is crazy when you look at the tyre profile and type of vehicle. I have found some coding for it though so it's on the retrofit list. Dave Hedgehog did you manage to spec TPMS on an RS3 from factory or was it a dealer retrofit?

Audi factory in Germany confirmed no ABS coding was required for the 8.5J 255/30/19 fronts as stated by 45bvtc. I have only driven the car across Central London so far but initial impressions are much more grip which seems to help initial acceleration a little, a bit more weight to the steering which I also like and it doesn't seem to make the ride much more harsh so very happy so far.

Take this opportunity to have a good look at the wear pattern on the front tyres at say 50, 100, and 250 miles: the wear pattern of the moulding fraises (remnants of) provide an excellent indication of tyre pressure and tracking. On my own car, while the tracking was perfect, I found it necessary to reduce the front tyre pressures equalising wear across the running surface

Take this opportunity to have a good look at the wear pattern on the front tyres at say 50, 100, and 250 miles: the wear pattern of the moulding fraises (remnants of) provide an excellent indication of tyre pressure and tracking. On my own car, while the tracking was perfect, I found it necessary to reduce the front tyre pressures equalising wear across the running surface

Thanks for the tip did you just reduce pressure a little to the front?

The new wheels and tyres were road force balance and set as per spec by Audi. Full 4 wheel alignment was done on a Hunter Hawk machine at the same time. These seem to be the only machines that can suppress most of the steering wheel vibration / judder. I checked the pressures before I set off this morning have driven 300 miles and I love the setup it's so much better than the original. I will check the pressures again before my return trip Sunday but the wear looks dead even. I'm sure some high speed autobahn cornering next month will wear the sides out. :D

Thanks for the tip did you just reduce pressure a little to the front?

The new wheels and tyres were road force balance and set as per spec by Audi. Full 4 wheel alignment was done on a Hunter Hawk machine at the same time. These seem to be the only machines that can suppress most of the steering wheel vibration / judder. I checked the pressures before I set off this morning have driven 300 miles and I love the setup it's so much better than the original. I will check the pressures again before my return trip Sunday but the wear looks dead even. I'm sure some high speed autobahn cornering next month will wear the sides out. :D

Yup! Both fronts and rears (235/35). Way over (for me) on the 255/30 fronts @ 41psi, both fronts were concave after 100-miles....

But for you, now is the best time to monitor as once those fraises have gone then they're gone.

As for steering wheel vibration, I have NONE, never have, on either summer or winter tyres, RS3 and TT, BOTH!

And the guy who visits me fits and balances tyres in the back of his van on my driveway.

Recently, a fellow RS3 owner had a new set of Goodyear F1s fitted, Hunter, etc, and it took 3-attempts to balance 'em, and oh the excuses...

Reactions: DAYTONA 500

I didn't think TPMS was ever an option on the RS3 which is crazy when you look at the tyre profile and type of vehicle. I have found some coding for it though so it's on the retrofit list. Dave Hedgehog did you manage to spec TPMS on an RS3 from factory or was it a dealer retrofit?

Interesting you've found some coding for the TPMS as I enabled it on my previous S3 which was great, however when I bought the RS3 and tried to enable it I couldn't as the ABS module can't be coded by VAG-COM on the RS3 if I remember when trying to access the module it said coding only by SVM which I believe is AUDI dealer only ! Bummer.

I did email Ross Tech but they said the module was from the TT and they didn't have any info for it.

Yes that's right, however it's the coding of the ABS module that's the problem on the RS3 as I've said above you cannot change the coding with Vag-com as the ABS module on the RS3 needs to be accessed by SVM at Audi.

At least that's what I got when trying anyway.

I have a friendly Audi dealer who is willing to help me code this. Do you know what they need to do if different from the above links, also do you think if they can code my car that would help others with Vag-com if your able to scan mine?

Sorry if this is a silly question I have never used it and only seen screenshots from it in the above links.

I have a friendly Audi dealer who is willing to help me code this. Do you know what they need to do if different from the above links, also do you think if they can code my car that would help others with Vag-com if your able to scan mine?

Sorry if this is a silly question I have never used it and only seen screenshots from it in the above links.

If you can make a note of what they have changed when coding it would help. I'm also wanting this for my car.

The 2nd link has all the info you'll need, as you'll see I've already successfully enabled it on a 2011 S3 I used to have.

Good to hear an Audi dealer will actually help.

Yes that's right, however it's the coding of the ABS module that's the problem on the RS3 as I've said above you cannot change the coding with Vag-com as the ABS module on the RS3 needs to be accessed by SVM at Audi.

At least that's what I got when trying anyway.

I am afraid you are right. I was able to enable TPMS and the option to store values in the DIS but I couldn't code the ABS module :-(

Yup! Both fronts and rears (235/35). Way over (for me) on the 255/30 fronts @ 41psi, both fronts were concave after 100-miles....

But for you, now is the best time to monitor as once those fraises have gone then they're gone.

As for steering wheel vibration, I have NONE, never have, on either summer or winter tyres, RS3 and TT, BOTH!

And the guy who visits me fits and balances tyres in the back of his van on my driveway.

Recently, a fellow RS3 owner had a new set of Goodyear F1s fitted, Hunter, etc, and it took 3-attempts to balance 'em, and oh the excuses...

I checked my tyres today after 700 miles or so they look concave but still around 8mm tread across the tyre and when checked were at 36 psi. I have put them back to spec 41 psi front 39 psi rear but would you advise running the fronts lower and at what pressure?

I checked my tyres today after 700 miles or so they look concave but still around 8mm tread across the tyre and when checked were at 36 psi. I have put them back to spec 41 psi front 39 psi rear but would you advise running the fronts lower and at what pressure?

I run 39-psi fronts and 37-psi rears (set COLD), this gives 'me' an excellent wear pattern front and rear, improved bite at the front end, and an improved ride overall.