ESTORIL BLUE NEWS

Scott

Reaction score
I thought it was worth 'breaking out' of the main S3 thread and posting this separately as it's fairly important for anyone who's ordered a car in Estoril.

I have received this today from my dealer as I asked about Estoril Blue. Nothing for the S3/Sportback yet, only the Saloon, but I would suspect it to be the same. Obviously I already have my car but was interested in why they've discontinued it and if there will be a replacement. If you have ordered Estoril, I would keep on top of the dealer to make sure that your order isn't changed without you knowing................

Larger image - http://s15.postimg.org/olzt2v6rf/image001.png

image001.png

Dammit. My order went in last week and the Dealer hasn't confirmed the build week as he said he gets updates on Tuesday, I know it's a Hatch but it 's it will be the same... So in the a matter of days of ordering they announce a faster more powerful version and I can't get the colour I want.

This is awesome! My car now has a exclusive colour at no extra cost! :)

Reactions: MatthewC, Toadoftoadhall, Battlekrapz and 2 others
And a lack of repairability as well to go along with it :p

And a lack of repairability as well to go along with it :p

What you on about? A paint code is a paint code! My car already has had its door resprayed (due to a ***** opening his car door on to it) and no issue mixing the colour up!

Reactions: Ecosphere, Battlekrapz, Louay and 1 other person
Presumably they are removing it because it's difficult to work with? Doesn't bode well for your average workshop getting it right if Audi can't in the factory...

What you on about? A paint code is a paint code! My car already has had its door resprayed (due to a ***** opening his car door on to it) and no issue mixing the colour up!

Not quite that simple silky.. it's not like Dulux emulsion.

Estoril looks lovely in bright lights as did my favourite Blue Deep Sea Blue (closely followed by Moro Blue).

I am told Blue Pearl and Mica effect paints are very difficult to match and maintain a consistent mix of the flecks within the paint.

Colour is fine its the effect of the flecks that I assume is the problem.

Presumably they are removing it because it's difficult to work with? Doesn't bode well for your average workshop getting it right if Audi can't in the factory...

My bodyshop and detailer got it absolutely perfect. Even matched the orange peal. The spray guy went on the say it was a easy colour to blend even with the colour pop flake.

Not quite that simple silky.. it's not like Dulux emulsion.

Estoril looks lovely in bright lights as did my favourite Blue Deep Sea Blue (closely followed by Moro Blue).

I am told Blue Pearl and Mica effect paints are very difficult to match and maintain a consistent mix of the flecks within the paint.

Colour is fine its the effect of the flecks that I assume is the problem.

No, no problem at all. The spray guy said it was easy. Had my car in the sun this weekend taking pics of it. Flecks are totally bang on.

Looks like you chose the wrong colour! Hahaha!

Reactions: Battlekrapz
Besides, let's face it, Phantom Black will hardly be any easier to repair or blend.

I didn't buy a car considering how easy it was to repair. Love my Estoril!

Reactions: MatthewC, J6YAK, Battlekrapz and 3 others
Oh it is! Talk to any Audi bodyshop!

Screw taking anything to a Audi body shop! I got a quote from them to repair mine and they said they could not get the dint out so said they would have to replace the door at £1,400. Total joke. The guy behind the counter said don't bother using us if you want it bang on!

Took it to a body shop that everyone uses round here including Man Utd players. 1 brand new Range Rover, and a F430 in when I took mine. Got the dint out within 40 mins and did the paint the next day. Expensive but I was not paying!

No, no problem at all. The spray guy said it was easy. Had my car in the sun this weekend taking pics of it. Flecks are totally bang on.

Looks like you chose the wrong colour! Hahaha!

PICS for prospective estoril owners coming close to the end of their gruelling wait!

Lol I took my old A3 to an 'Audi approved bodyshop' and they couldn't match Ibis White after 4, yes 4 !!!! attempts.

Reactions: Silky-S3
Lol I took my old A3 to an 'Audi approved bodyshop' and they couldn't match Ibis White after 4, yes 4 !!!! attempts.

Yep, total s*it! I had the local Audi approved body shop (at the local VW dealer) try to match Sprint Blue on my 8P S3 6 times and it still was not right! Never ever again. Had to paint the bumper, rear wing, and boot lid in the end to get it somewhere near. This was for a little scrape on the bumper!

PICS for prospective estoril owners coming close to the end of their gruelling wait!

Will do as soon Ive got them uploaded from my DSLR.

Reactions: Louay
Screw taking anything to a Audi body shop! I got a quote from them to repair mine and they said they could not get the dint out so said they would have to replace the door at £1,400. Total joke. The guy behind the counter said don't bother using us if you want it bang on!

Took it to a body shop that everyone uses round here including Man Utd players. 1 brand new Range Rover, and a F430 in when I took mine. Got the dint out within 40 mins and did the paint the next day. Expensive but I was not paying!

Well .. Not sure what Man Utd players has to do with quality paint jobs! I hate football anyway ;-)

Audi approved tend not to like knock out jobs and I can understand that. Have had cheap and cheerful repairs but you get what you pay for.

Possible they have discontinued saloon first to preserve stocks for hatchback orders? I'm hoping so anyway. No news yet either way about mine.

Well .. Not sure what Man Utd players has to do with quality paint jobs! I hate football anyway ;-)

Audi approved tend not to like knock out jobs and I can understand that. Have had cheap and cheerful repairs but you get what you pay for.

I think the point Silky was making was the about the calibre of the cars in said body shop was high and nothing to do with football Mr Pilot!! as i'm sure you know. If they are painting F430s and the likes, then they must do a good job!!

Reactions: MatthewC and Silky-S3
I think the point Silky was making was the about the calibre of the cars in said body shop was high and nothing to do with football Mr Pilot!! as i'm sure you know. If they are painting F430s and the likes, then they must do a good job!!

Glad someone was bright enough to make the connection!

Reactions: robo1million, nervus, MatthewC and 1 other person

Not necessarily !

Not necessarily !

Ok so if you had an F430 would you just stick it into the nearest body shop and hope for the best? .....No I thought not, it's a reasonable bet that they do a good job if they are painting that type of car and its the type of place I would use.

Reactions: Silky-S3
It would be expected that a premium bodyshop would do a good job but not necessarily . I can cite one on the south coast who messed up a repair so badly that the car was rejected and another in the south west where the paint repair to a nearly new Porsche was so bad it gained celebrity status locally.

A good bodyshop is worth a lot and I am happy to say my local VW/Audi bodyshop is superb!

Even if Estoril is discontinued its been available for a while and on a range of cars up to the very expensive RS6 and R8 cars along with the rest of the S and RS range of cars.

Preserve stock for hatchback models, more likely they want to preserve stock for the expensive cars. I just checked and its still available for the RS6 configurator for £250. Not sure if that means its actually available to order or the configurator hasnt been updated.

I have just had an email from dealer saying that my build wk 8 SB will be delivered in Estoril Blue. I hope so

And yet the latest, January 2014 brochure on the Audi site, is still showing Estoril Blue available for the S3 Saloon.

My dealer told me it was due to issues in matching the colour on the plastics / trims and there were too many cars running through the plant being defected and requiring rework to he paint in this colour.

I wish they'd add another blue into the range that wasn't an exclusive - as I'd probably amend my order.

That's a shame it was a beautiful colour, suited the A3.

Reactions: Louay
I like Estoril too but personally would've picked Shiraz over it had it been available on the S3. /whinge

I have just had an email from dealer saying that my build wk 8 SB will be delivered in Estoril Blue. I hope so

Likewise my SB is a week 8 build in Estoril and the dealer has confirmed. When are you expecting delivery?

Hi all.

Confirmed with my Dealer today that the news only 'currently' effects orders of the S3 Saloon. He confirmed my SB order (circa week 9 build) would not be effected when the change is widened to include HB and SB variants.

Interestingly he did mention that Estoril would eventually be discontinued back in October when I first went into the dealership. He said that the reason it would be discontinued was that the mineral supply was now limited. This is the same reason he gave today.

HTH.

Likewise my SB is a week 8 build in Estoril and the dealer has confirmed. When are you expecting delivery?

Well as I am in Australia, I am expecting about 10wks after build week. The car seems to now have a VIN, so they have already started it, 3 weeks ahead of time. From a thread elsewhere it seems that the car gets a VIN after it has been to the paint shop, and is almost completed. (Happy to be corrected on this). So, I am hoping for the end of March.

Well as I am in Australia, I am expecting about 10wks after build week. The car seems to now have a VIN, so they have already started it, 3 weeks ahead of time. From a thread elsewhere it seems that the car gets a VIN after it has been to the paint shop, and is almost completed. (Happy to be corrected on this). So, I am hoping for the end of March.

Oh great news for you, hope all goes well. How do u know if your car has a vin?

Oh great news for you, hope all goes well. How do u know if your car has a vin?

I emailed the dealer, and asked them to let me know when they knew the VIN, as this means the car is well underway. They came straight back with the number. Someone in the dealership is the "stock controller". I presume they have easy access to the entire workflow via the mighty internet.

The dealers have the access to the build info - live as it's updated from Audi.

I was shown it a few weeks ago in the local dealership as he was looking at when they had any s3 sportbacks arriving for me to look at. It had all the order details on and what the status and locations of each car was.

I'm not sure if this was only for uk based and delivery status etc or included the factory info - I'm not sure.

It showed he had 2 S3's due in to port in the next few days though and meant I for a test drive.