Estate Agents

Innocence80

Reaction score
As some of you know I am looking for a house which is being a right pain in the butt! If i ring up they are usually gone, or the ones I've seen are terrible.

I rang up about one this morning that said cats would be considered for a bit more deposit. When speaking to the person on the end of the phone (she was quite rude), she asked if I had any pets and I said I have an out door cat, to which she replied that no pets were allowed and what did I mean saying she was an outdoor cat. She lives in the garage normally as she doesn't like being in the house. Her whole attitude towards me was awful and not very good customer service at all.

so didnt you point out the

cats to be considered part ?

and to be honest i rent 2 houses out and once i did allow the tenents to have 2 cats never again the deposit hardly covered the damage caused nealy every skirting door frame etc etc

I totally understand that but my cat never comes in the house, she likes it in the garage and only comes through the house to go outside. Being an older girl, she doesn't claw or click anything in the house and hasn't since she was a kitten. I was more riled at the rudeness of the person on the other end of the phone, she made me feel like scum because I was phoning up for a rental property!

Unfortunately, most estate agents are only in the game for the commissions, and rental is nowhere near as profitable as a house sale, but they don't think long term!

Re the pets thing, a pet is a pet, irrespective of whether it stays in the house or not? I'm a landlord, and I don't allow pets for the same reasons as bez stated above. I'm not going to watch over the property 24/7, so the deal is a no pet policy to protect my investment, it's nothing against the tenant whatsoever!

Try checking gumtree, landlords like posting their properties on there for some advertising if they don't want to pay agents fees.
Also you shouldn't feel like scum just for looking for a rental property, everyone starts somewhere

I know I'm not scum, i work full time in a respectable job, have my own car etc but as soon as you mention children to some people their attitude changes towards you for some reason.

I know I'm not scum, i work full time in a respectable job, have my own car etc but as soon as you mention children to some people their attitude changes towards you for some reason.

Actually, if I found out the letting agent of mine was treating prospective tennants with this attitude, I'd sack them straight off!

Reactions: Nilz
Actually, if I found out the letting agent of mine was treating prospective tennants with this attitude, I'd sack them straight off!

True. It's difficult to come across tenants nowadays so how they can afford to be picky is beyond me.
My parents are landlords of student properties in Liverpool so usually students don't bring things like pets and kids but we'd take anything we can get providing they have proper guarantors.

Well the cat is no longer an issue as she can go and live with my gran, just got to get her there with minimal stress. The estate agent still didn't ring me back about a viewing. Going to see a house tonight, so fingers crossed.