Estate agent dirty tricks

Gazwould

Reaction score
Just had a phone call from estate agents to say others were level pegging plugging for more money !

We shook hands to close the deal with owners on viewing as cash buyers who offered full price and bumped into them after in a supermarket and told them to their surprise agents said they wanted other viewings and offers to comence that were booked till Monday .

Owners sincerely said as far as we are concerned we want you to have it even if more money were offered and not to worry over the weekend .

What other games have you heard of ?

Latest is the owners are away , which they are as they talked about it .

The estate agents claim they contacted them and they are "thinking about it . "

Eh !

They are casting doubt so another lie covers another lie to make themselves appear less stupid .

Trouble is you don't know what they are telling the owners .

Just confront them and say you saw the owners and this is what was discussed, it should soon put an end to their bull!!!

Cant stand them and their crafty sales tactics!!

Its all about the commision for them.

It's very frustrating, I know, and I'm certainly not here to defend estate agents. But remember they act for the seller, and have a duty to act in the seller's best interests.

At the end of the day the house belongs to the owners not the estate agents. I haven't bought and sold many houses in my time but the last one we sold we never took the top offer , The people we sold too were in a better position. Unfortunately the way houses are sold in the UK makes things so much more stressful, Scotland has a much better system.
http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/assets/3/files/2009/11/MovingHome.pdf
The first house we bought in 1988 was a 2 bed semi on the market for 32K , We ended up paying 36K because that was the only way to get a property, we had been Gazumped ourselves several times.
From what you say the owners sound OK, it's the estate agents playing silly buggers. I hope it goes OK for you Gaz.

Turns out it was the owners much to my amazement .

Received a much higher offer despite shaking on it , their reassurances and despite them saying if more was offered they wouldn't take it.

I have a feeling this higher offer is part of a chain , I hope it falls through for them .

A mature couple should have more integrity.

Last edited:
Chains should be avoided at any cost when trying to buy/ sell houses, every extra link increases the chance of failure by a good margin.
It's unfortunate if you don't get it but I have found that when one door shuts another opens. When we were buying our second house it fell through at the last second because of a chain. The next day I spotted a for sale board up on a house across the road that had been empty for several months.
We rang the estate agents had a viewing and made an offer the next day. We moved from a 2 bed at number 14 to a 3 bed at number 3 in the same road. Didn't bother with a removal van just carried the furniture across the road.
There is only one thing more stressful than moving house and that's having kids.

Reactions: RS5 JON and jojo
Chains should be avoided at any cost when trying to buy/ sell houses, every extra link increases the chance of failure by a good margin.
It's unfortunate if you don't get it but I have found that when one door shuts another opens. When we were buying our second house it fell through at the last second because of a chain. The next day I spotted a for sale board up on a house across the road that had been empty for several months.
We rang the estate agents had a viewing and made an offer the next day. We moved from a 2 bed at number 14 to a 3 bed at number 3 in the same road. Didn't bother with a removal van just carried the furniture across the road.
There is only one thing more stressful than moving house and that's having kids

What a coincidence, we moved within the same cul de sac from no. 1 to15, 2 to 3 bed house as well. As we knew the people in no 15 they ditched the Estate agent and split what would have been the Fee between us. Ended up with same neighbours & friends, same school for kids etc. A lot less stress overall.

Reactions: RS5 JON and desertstorm
One very dirty trick is that the Estate Agents will charge their percentage on the price advertised, not what it actually sold for .....If I could cut out Estate Agents completely I would.....

One very dirty trick is that the Estate Agents will charge their percentage on the price advertised, not what it actually sold for .....If I could cut out Estate Agents completely I would.....

Wish they did that here..for some reason all the houses go for stupidly over the asking price around me....!

Well, why don't you?

A mate of mine had very,very bad dealings with an estate agent which resulted in my mate being without a house.he got payback by liberally applying brake fluid to the to$$ers merc!!!!