ESP... Why would I ever turn it off?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but this is the first car I've had that's had ESP and I'm trying to work out what situation would I need to be in where turning off the ESP would be to my advantage?

When do you turn it off and why?

Cool, so its mainly used to keep the car on the road under heavy steering in bad conditions but back to my question - Why would I ever want it off?

I found that if I was stuck in the snow it would pull away a lot easier if you turned it off.

Triggy
Next time you are stuck in the mud or snow or on a track day.........you would want to switch it off :) it does dull the performance as well as not helping in the snow/mud

Perhaps you might want to try and drive at the limit and see who wins - You or the Ditch!!!

This simple equation explains it

TDi + DSG + traction control x snow = going nowhere

TDi + DSG - traction control x snow = a chance of movement

The only time this equation does not work is when you add rear wheel drive to any of the above.

Give it until the snow comes and you will be praising the heavens for that off button.

Last edited:
as above snow mud etc
or to have a bit of fun

Go too fast into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will sense you are not going in the direction of the steering wheel and it will feel bogged down. With it off, you will likely have to adjust the steering more, but you can get more power to your wheels and accelerate yourself out of the turn.

Go too slow into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will apply as much power as possible short of spinning the wheel out and accelerate you out of the turn. With it off, and especially if you are on the peak torque region of your engine, you will likely spin the wheels out and not carry yourself out of the turn as fast.

Go too fast into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will sense you are not going in the direction of the steering wheel and it will feel bogged down. With it off, you will likely have to adjust the steering more, but you can get more power to your wheels and accelerate yourself out of the turn.

Go too slow into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will apply as much power as possible short of spinning the wheel out and accelerate you out of the turn. With it off, and especially if you are on the peak torque region of your engine, you will likely spin the wheels out and not carry yourself out of the turn as fast.

looks like you are not an A to B driver :racer:

Only time i've had it off is in the snow. ESP performed surprising well in the snow last year but sometimes it needs switched off to get going

Its more fun with if off but it has also saved me a few times so......

I'm afraid it will need sorted for next years MOT as it will now be a testable item.

how the hell would they test it,by going out and giving the car the beans to get it to kick in, think its another one just like the "if your car has been remapped it wont pass" rubbish

It will be just a simple test: When you log a vehicle on for an MOT the Vehicle Specific Information will instruct on how the system should work, eg a warning light should come on & go out after 2 seconds etc. If a light stays on or doesn't come on (eg somebody has removed bulb/wiring etc) then it will fail. Same will go for the airbags too. Its just the same way they test the ABS the now. As long as the warning lights do as they should you will be fine even if the items dont actually work LOL

checking for a remap IS rubbish :thumbsup:

as said only turn it off in the snow , my light is on best i get saving to get that sorted then eh lol

It will be just a simple test: When you log a vehicle on for an MOT the Vehicle Specific Information will instruct on how the system should work, eg a warning light should come on & go out after 2 seconds etc. If a light stays on or doesn't come on (eg somebody has removed bulb/wiring etc) then it will fail. Same will go for the airbags too. Its just the same way they test the ABS the now. As long as the warning lights do as they should you will be fine even if the items dont actually work LOL

checking for a remap IS rubbish :thumbsup:

what if you remove the button and replace it with a blank,just like a spare,if you dont have it it will pass but if you have it and its flat/worn it wont,not that i see a point to removing the switch but "hypothetically" because not all cars have T/C or ESP

Thats what the VSI is for - its data from the manufacturer on what certain models should have fitted. If its an option for a model then removing the button & light could work unless it gets its data from the VIN number as opposed to the model. In the case of the 8P A3 they all have it as standard so the VSI will say this and it will be required where say for a corsa it will say 'if fitted it must meet the requirements'.

Though not yet confirmed as VOSA are still in talks with the goverment, the changes to the MOT for 2012 could be advisories for the 1st 6 months.

Depends if you have FWD or quattro. Turning it off on FWD will just result in alot of plowing. Turning it off on a quattro will allow all both axles to spin, resulting in 4 wheel drifting. To bad you can't turn off ESP w/o turning off traction control, since the inner wheel will frequently lose traction first and you can't gain any more speed from increased throttle.

If you have an S-Tronic (DSG) gearbox, then it's essential to disengage the ESP if you want to exercise the launch control mode. ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I never really drive the car that hard to be fair so I'll wait till the snow comes to test this out :)