ESP Warning Light

dammil

B6 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6sp
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T. My ESP light has been appearing while driving and stays on. The car has also had the brake lights come on at random throughout the night only for me to find them still on when I leave for work in the morning.

I have also noticed while driving the car will just lose power similar to an american car with shutoff after a certain speed. When I downshift I regain power.

I was thinking it was the brake switch then I thought maybe the ABS control module, but I am now lost with the engine losing power at random.

Anyone have any ideas?

The only way to be certain is a VAG com scan to show up any faults.

But a faulty brake pedal switch can cause a loss in power.

The switch is linked to the engine management & can put the car in limp home mode or just confuse the ESP system as to your intentions (accelerating whilst it thinks you are pressing the brakes etc. pressing the clutch activates another switch so the ESP could reset).

If you do not have easy access to VAG com & with the brake lights being permanently on it does sound like you have a faulty switch at the very least.
This is cheap and easy to fix so its worth a try to see if it cures all the problems in one go & it should cure the brake lights.

If the ESP light comes on and stays on, it usually is linked to a bad MAF unit. This would also explain the loss of power.

Thanks for the responses.

Where is the best place to buy the VAG com software and cable? If someone has the software, can it be zipped and emailed?

I have a laptop, is the cable a dealer item?