ESP - off or on? that is the question!

Denty

Reaction score
Am i the only one who turns my ESP off as soon as i get in the car? I find it intrusive and at times actually quite dangerous.... the way it backs the power off is soooo rough.
I actually find the car a bit smoother and more snappy with it off - so its off all the time now!

Is there a way to programme it so its off all the time and pressing the switch will make it come on?? you know, so its the opposite to what it is now?

Last edited:
I do exactly the same, mines DSG and I find that with the ESP on the car bogs down when pulling away so it's pretty much always off (I used to switch it off in my Focus ST as well).

Im not the only one then...! Ive never once had a use for it, even in the snow and wet etc.... its proper overkill the ESP on these cars. I dont even think the car needs it at all...

I leave mine on, the ESP light annoys me otherwise. Plus on my commute I wouldn't get the oppurtunity to get it to cut in.

i know audi recommends to turn it off in snow as it keeps all 4 wheels independent of each other so gives better traction , not sure what its like in normal weather unless you drive everywhere with your foot on the floor lol

First thing I do once I've turned the key - push the ESP button. There's so much grip from the quattro, yet the ESP cuts in quite aggressively, very early. Hate that feeling when you've tried to pull out into a small gap, and the computer takes away all your power.

i know audi recommends to turn it off in snow as it keeps all 4 wheels independent of each other so gives better traction , not sure what its like in normal weather unless you drive everywhere with your foot on the floor lol

Foot on the floor? me?!?! never...

Interesting.... Well, I recommend that its switched off ALL THE TIME! Its great feeling all the little mini milli second slips from wheel to wheel when giving it some half way out of a corrner:racer: - With the ESP switched on it SUKS man! I want to feel what the cars doing naturally without any electronic intervention, it makes such a difference turning it off, makes the S3 feel like a real car!!:sm4: Ive been doing this since i got her, before and after tuning.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the last comment. Having had a lot of snow up to now and roads being slippy I feel the ESP is a complete waste of time.
For it to be off when ignition on and selected ON via the button would be a far better idea.

Someone on here must know how to reverse it.

Totally agree with the last comment. Having had a lot of snow up to now and roads being slippy I feel the ESP is a complete waste of time.
For it to be off when ignition on and selected ON via the button would be a far better idea.

Someone on here must know how to reverse it.
got to be a thing for nige to code surely he is the coding master , and clue nige lol

I don't think Audi recommends turning it off in the snow, maybe to get the car out when it is stuck in snow since ESP would just cut the throttle instead of the wheels spinning and digging the car out.

But I generally leave it on unless I want to really go all out. With quattro on my 3.2, the front and rear wheels would usually provide enough grip to get you off the line without any slipping, and in snowing road, there is no reason to leave it off because ESP actually does selective wheel braking to overcome under or oversteer situations and bring your car back on its trajectory.

If on certain part of the road I want to go all out, like an exit ramp where I want to spin all 4 wheels and do some sideways drifting, or do some crazy stuff in the snow or wet surface where I have enough space for it to really go sideways, then I would turn ESP off.

leave on for fwd then?

I find so far with limited miles done its left on, on my 140 fwd. It doesnt intrude like my previous D5 fwd 180 fwd V50.

I did switch it off the other day and got a lot of axle tramping - where the front wheels seem to bounce & judder when setting off quickly, tried it back on at next junction and was far smoother. As for mid journey cornering i'd prob turn it off to gain more feel.