ESP light has come on and won't go off

Sandip

Reaction score
felt a slight judder like the abs was cutting in then the esp light came on and its not goin away, turned car off checked fuse, still staying on. Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong with it?
P1010541.jpg

Try cleaning all the abs sensors behind the wheels, they may be covered in crud causing a bad reading. Also check their connections to make sure they are still intact

just started my car, no light, as soon as i put it in first the light has come on again????? :think: (wasn't moving)

this happened to mine shortly after i bought it, turned out it was a sensor, not sure which one, would have cost about 100quid to replace but luckily it was still under warranty

Plug into VAG com to find out, but as mentioned, it is likely to be the longitudinal or lateral acceleration sensor. They cost about £100 each and are a DIY fit in about an hour (they are next to the steering column behind the lower dash in a facelift car).

I just got the new temp sensor for £38 + Vat and its only 1 bolt to undo to fit it so won't take more than 5 mins.

So if vagcom tells you it is the temp sensor at fault get one of the sensors n fit it yourself.

Not sure on the 8L S3 but on others in the family that can also be caused by a brake light switch problem which is a common failure.

Best bet is to have the car checked out using VAG-COM or similar means (scanner or dealer diagnostics) as it will tell you what it isn't happy about.

Paul

hey if it turns out to be the laterial accelerator sensor the part number is 1j2 907 639, ive just bought one fom audi for 106 quid, just gotta work out how to fit it.

Jonesy said:
hey if it turns out to be the laterial accelerator sensor the part number is 1j2 907 639, ive just bought one fom audi for 106 quid, just gotta work out how to fit it.

I had the same problem, the above fixed it, but I got mine done at an Audi dealer while it was in there, said that it needed reprogramming with vagcom or something, but then they will say that wont they!

Hey just fitted the part, had to take the whole bottom part of the dash off so many screws lol, took about half an hour the part is located just above the drivers left knee. Only took half an hour not even that.

Took it for a spin and it seems to have fixed the problem, yeppe just gotta sort out the mot problem now!

sandip said:
felt a slight judder like the abs was cutting in then the esp light came on and its not goin away, turned car off checked fuse, still staying on. Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong with it?
P1010541.jpg

You haven't just had your tracking done have you? (bare with me lol)

Would like to revive this thread .. Felt judder on all pedals and as if I had run over something (though I didn't) then warning light came on .. Help!! :-(

Abs sensors as above mentioned. Need to scan it though mate to see which one is at fault...

I purchased the car second hand. Previous owner did not include the software , only cable . Tried to install VCDS on my laptop and couldn't get it to detect my car . Tried several versions of VCDS as well with no prevail . So will be doing this without the aid of a computer diagnostic tool.

I have read on other forums that this problem could be any of the following; brake light sensor , longitude sensor , abs sensors and even the MAF sensor . Earlier today when problem came out , I put off engine and restarted it. The light didn't appear till 2min into the trip . Then I had felt something underneath as if I ran over a cat , slight acceleration hesitation and there it was, warning light back on . Car seems to be running normal , nothing out of the ordinary except the pedal and acceleration feedback that occurred early in the trip.

Bringing the car to the dealership for scanning is not an option , unfortunately. My car was imported via grey market . In the Philippines , these grey market cars are not accepted by dealerships . Normally , the dealership will charge an equivalent of USD 1,500 as corkage just to have car accepted .. Out of budget and not an option .. Help guys ..

Hi , do you have a photo of this hose? I'll go down to the parking to check it out . Thanks !!

Its the one that comes up onto the intake manifold from the right hand side of the engine bay

You would however have a noticeable difference in the way the ar drives you would see it instantly if you looked into the engine bay. Its likely an abs sensor. As suggested above get someone to scan the car for fault codes.

Scan it... the end...

Don't clutch at straws...

Any ABS related issue will bring up the ABS light... MAF failure or a failure of a sensor the ESP uses will stick the ESP light on as its telling you ESP is disabled..

Scan it...

<tuffty/>

You really need to get your cable and software working so you can scan for faults. Does your cable look same as this
cbbd94df40ce70fd494e345625e819eb.jpg

If so you should have a genuine cable and it will be your most important tool (when you get it working)

If it looks different in any way it's probably an "EBAY" cable in which case you need to install VCDS lite

Either version of the software requires you to set and test the com port first in the options menu of the software, have a look on ross-tech website for full instructions.

Steve

That's it ! That's exactly the cable I have but can't seem to get the sucker working. Here's what I did;

1. Downloaded software by clicking the HEX+CAN icon on the website as that is what my cable has written on it

2. When to garage with laptop , plugged in cable and my computer couldn't seem to detect the cable. Was waiting for the "installing driver" but nothing came out. Went to My Computer to try to find device wc I did but couldn't get it to work .

3. Deleted software and tried others . No prevail .

If its a copy lead then it won't work with genuine VCDS...

You should be able to get it working with VCDS lite but the lead will need a driver...

The copy/forged VCDS leads that say they are 'full' versions only work with the software that comes with the lead as its hacked...

Genuine VCDS installs the correct USB driver so if this is a non genuine copy one then its not going to work

Better off getting a cheap eBay lead and VCDS lite.... the lead will haev a driver and VCDS lite will work with it...

There is info in the FAQs... as I wrote it :)

<tuffty/>

Hi everyone , just an update . Left the office a bit late today , experienced hard rainfall and took me about 2 hours to get home due to heavy traffic . It eventually cleared and started to blast it , taking advantage of the full boost I get in the cold.

During the entire time, no esp light or any warning light (scratching head). Will still try to get my vagcom up and running and I'll update you all on results . Thanks for the help guys !!!

My esp light has come on when my front wheel abs sensor was faulty. No abs light came on .. scratch head ... it worries me little.

What fault codes?... there are certain conditions that could potentially cause this but a faulty ABS sensor should put the ABS light on as if its faulty enough for the system not to trust it then the system will disable itself rather than run the risk of faulting when you are actually in need of it

<tuffty/>

Yeah ... not sure ofexact code. All i know there was a wiring issue. A bit of fiddling and the code disappeared.

Reliable knowledgeable as usual from tufty... your are a true asset to this forum.