ESP light coming on random

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
the past several mornings my ESP light has appeared on the journey to work..... the button wont turn it on or off, the only remedy is to turn the engine off, pull out the keys and restart....this seems to sort it, only happend a handful of times but its getting annoying now, any ideas?

Had this prob on my last A3 and it turned out to be the engine speed sensor acting up. It failed after a while resulting in rpm surge and after it was replaced i never had any more grief with the ESP lamp.

Traction control/engine speed the 2 systems work off each other a tad.

When this happened on my 8L S3 it was a faulty yaw sensor - which appeared as a fault code on VAG-COM.

As mentioned, you need VAG.com to work out which of the sensors it is - Longitudinal / Lateral / Yaw etc. They cost around £100, are sited either under the steering column or behind the glovebox, depending upon sensor and whether your car is pre or post facelift. It's a diy job to replace if you don't mind scraping your knuckles.

cheers chaps.....ive changed a few brake switches in my time...the engine bit would be a talk through i reckon...will get it vagged asap and get the low down from that

im a bit unsure when i can get to VAG the car next, i have an OMDII? cable? but have vista so dont think i can do it myself can i?

This has also happend to me in the past, but hasnt done it in a while now.

Sorry for hijacking the thread....i'm having the same problem....vag com shows the following error.

01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Does the sensor need changing? Are there any DIY guides available for this?

thanks

Cheapy from ebay, although it is a usb one, if that makes any difference

yeah that'll be an OBD11 lead..... i cant run the program on vista for some reason

yeah im on as admin...will try uploading again...although sure vagcom states that only their 7... version will work on vista without probs....i think this is the purchase version

I'm using the 311 demo version with a small tweak seems to work OK for me, sorry can't be much more help than that.

justv uploaded it, and ran a search, it came up with boost control somethingorother then said i need to pay for the use of the program lol

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,22,35,37,45,54,55,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 01236

1 Fault Found:
17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
P1200 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

Any more fault codes found? I had that one with a pressure drop between turbo and throttle body or something like that and it turns out I needed a new DV. Replaced it with a new one cleared the faults they never came back.

Control Module Part Number: 8N0 907 379 E
Component and/or Version: ESP 20 CAN V005
Software Coding: 18448
Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
1 Fault Found:
00812 - Brake Pressure Release Solenoid (F84)
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Control Module Part Number: 8L0 920 980 R
Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D09
Software Coding: 01444
Work Shop Code: WSC 00687
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8L121014466 AUZ7Z0A2015117
1 Fault Found:
01177 - Engine Control Unit
49-00 - No Communications

now im shitting myself.....why am i getting all these codes

luckily, thats all of them i think...had to pick off the modules seperately off vagcom so a guess at whats applicable to my car

okies the DV was replaced around 20k ago..... gonna wip the lid off the engine this weekend and have a look...or will this be a straight replace without looking? also whats this brake solenoid...worth worrying about?

does anyone know the part number for the g299 lateral acceleration sensor for a 2000 s3? Everyone keeps saying its easy to replace but i cant seem to tell how to get it off

does anyone know the part number for the g299 lateral acceleration sensor for a 2000 s3? Everyone keeps saying its easy to replace but i cant seem to tell how to get it off

Its a G200 sensor the part number is floating around here somewhere ive seen it, theres plenty of threads which can help with this problem. i still havent sorted mine yet. part is just shy of £100 and is below the steering column

That f84 code you got is the same as the one i have.

I'm in the same situation, ever since buying the car the tc light and the abs light have come on after driving the car for about 10-15 minutes. The yaw sensors were replaced first as vag.com said they were at fault. Now it's showing this f84 code. the garage I use has traced this code back through audi and vw tech department and it turns out that it's a brake switch fault, within the brake servo. It sound expensive and it is. the other kick in the nuts is that Audi in their great wisdom upgraded the brake servo, I'm unlucky enough to have the old one. So to fix the fault and fit the new brake servo I also require a new master cylinder and a new brake reservoir.

Not a happy chappy, the upside. I got a warranty when I bought the car. That will cover the brake servo but won't pay for the replacement of the MC and reservoir.

Eagle S3, as far as I'm aware the Brake Servo upgrade should have been carried out as part of a recall. It was on my A3 in around 2002/2003 I believe (I will dig out the records at some point).
Enquire about it as I'm sure its under some sort of recall and I'll find the documents hopefully afterwork tommorow to give you more info.

Any further info on that recall would be great spacecowboy.

Done a net search and i'll maybe give audi a call to see what the score was.

Thanks

That f84 code you got is the same as the one i have.

I'm in the same situation, ever since buying the car the tc light and the abs light have come on after driving the car for about 10-15 minutes. The yaw sensors were replaced first as vag.com said they were at fault. Now it's showing this f84 code. the garage I use has traced this code back through audi and vw tech department and it turns out that it's a brake switch fault, within the brake servo.

Are you sure its not just the brake switch which iirc is above the brake pedal and is an easy replacement. im sure ive read this somewhere.

mine did this a few weeks after i got it. turned out too be the Longitudinal sensor which was located behind the glove box, was quite easy to get to, if you've done other bit an peices to your car repair wise, the Longitudinal will be a doddle.